Snow Files of the Week

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "Overlooking Tradition/The Challenge/Chain Gang" from "Harsh Realm" (1999). The short-lived Chris Carter show of course also had a musical score by Mark Snow. His approach was more industrial than on the other Carter shows "The X-Files" and "MillenniuM". But nevertheless he wrote some very haunting tunes for that show, too.

The score was released on CD by La-La-Land Records, paired with Mark's music for the X-Files spin-off "The Lone Gunmen".
The CD is sold out.

Enjoy!

• Elders (Moderators)

Snow Files of the Week: "My beautiful airplane/Love Comfort/That's Melancholy" from "Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass", 2009)".

The movie marked the second collaboration between Alain Resnais and Mark Snow (after "Private Fears in Public Places"), two more would follow. The score is melancholic, supporting the beautiful and sometimes strange movie perfectly. The album is available digital and got a very limited release on double CD (together with the third Resnais/Snow collaboration "You ain't seen nothing yet") in France.

Enjoy!

"Les Herbes Folles (aka "Wild Grass", 2009)" is one of my favorites.  It's perfect background music that you never tire of.  Thanks for posting this Alex, and will probably play the entire album today now that you've reminded me of it.  :hug::23:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Man said:

That's such a weird cover image!

I agree, it is different.  The meaning in English, "Wild Grass" probably sums up the cover...they're high...LOL  :smoking:

IMDb movie plot summary ~

A wallet lost and found opens the door to romantic adventure for Georges and Marguerite. After examining the ID papers of its owner, it is not a simple matter for Georges to turn the red wallet he found in to the police. Nor is it that Marguerite can recuperate her wallet without being piqued with curiosity about whom it was who found it. As they navigate the social protocols of giving and acknowledging thanks, turbulence enters their otherwise quotidian lives.

• Elders (Moderators)

It's a strange but wonderful movie. Marguerite has red hair, as you can see on the cover. 😉 It is of course also the poster image. The movie opens with a shot of grass growing in the streets, between stones and concrete. This wild grass image resembles that nature always finds a way to create the impossible. This also fits the relationship between the two main characters. 

On 9/25/2018 at 1:43 PM, SadEyes said:

It's a strange but wonderful movie. Marguerite has red hair, as you can see on the cover. 😉 It is of course also the poster image. The movie opens with a shot of grass growing in the streets, between stones and concrete. This wild grass image resembles that nature always finds a way to create the impossible. This also fits the relationship between the two main characters. 

Wow Alex, I so appreciate you coming back and sharing this with us.  And, I am definitely going to find this movie and watch it.  My curiosity has kicked in.

• Like 1

• Elders (Moderators)
On 9/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, Earthnut said:

Wow Alex, I so appreciate you coming back and sharing this with us.  And, I am definitely going to find this movie and watch it.  My curiosity has kicked in.

You're welcome. I really enjoyed the movie, although it's pretty melancholic. But that's what I like about it. As far as I know the movie wasn't dubbed. Even here in Germany the movie isn't available on DVD, I got the British DVD, which has the movie in its original french language with englisch subtiltes on it.

Snow Files of the Week: Suite from The X-Files episode "Post-Modern Prometheus" (1997).

For this episode, Snow composed a very unusual score. The main theme, a circus-dance-music-piece, is something, that you would expect from Danny Elfman, not from Snow. But Mark combines this music with a more somber tone for the grief of "The Great Mutato", who is looking for something we all do: Love. And during Mutato's speech at the end of the episode, Mark again uses a piece of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" within his score. This specific piece can also be heard in the MillenniuM episode "Lament".

The music was released as a promotional disc at first, later it got an offical release on La-La Land Records' first volume box of The X-Files music. There is also a single disc with music from The X-Files, that was released last year by BUYSOUNDTRAX.COM. "The X-Files 20th Anniversary" contains music from various seasons of the show, including the "Post-Modern Prometheus" music as a re-recording. The CD is limited to 1000 copies and is also available digitally.

Enjoy!

• Like 1