X-file Dvds

Rate this topic

i have been noticing X-file DVDs on ebay costing $9-10 from Japan....the shipping cost is $15......are these DVDs worth it? it sure beats spending $100 for these DVDS at a retail store.....i would love to purchase these at this cost......is it a scam? and should i do it?

• Elders (Admins)

They sound dodgy to me! :devil01: In the UK, I'm not sure about the US and other places, The X-Files box sets are being released in cheaper simpler versions. I might invest at some point but not now as the show is on Sky One and Fox's FX289 channels every day.

I took the plunge and bought season 8 of The X Files from China. Other than a slight difference in packaging, (& getting to see Scully scream in Chinese while having a baby...LOL) there is virtualy no differnce between these and the US versions. They may be copies, I don't know. I'm no expert, but the quality was excellent...and, as season 8 was my least favorite season, I didn't mind taking a slight risk to add this season at an affordable cost. :alien:

Guest Max Fenig

I wouldn't trust them. Most of those are straight VHS rips, and while I'm far from an A/V Club member, even I can tell the difference between that and real digital. Many of them also lack the special features and menus.

The other possibility are straight copies, like the above poster got. My vote is that it isn't worth the risk. I got some of my X-Files DVDs for $40-50 on eBay.

• 5 months later...
Guest Sanitarium

If you care nothing about decent packaging and just want the episodes I say go for it. I bought a set, all nine seasons, of the "Asian Collector's Editions" off ebay for about $200 last year. The quality was just as good as the official R1 releases, but the packaging was horrendous. Some episodes also had skips and pauses. Ultimately I sold those after watching them and hunted for deals on the R1 releases. Eventually I got all nine R1 sets for about $350.