Thoughts on Millennium at 25YearsLater

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

I read and appreciated the thoughts offered in this article by Christopher Pilbeam named This Is Who We Are: Queerness In Millennium published yesterday at 25YearsLater; so I thought I'd share it with you.

Christopher offers a fresh and interesting LGBT+ perspective and interpretation on aspects of the series I've never personally considered that much before. Whether you are part of the LGBT+ community or not, it's a thoughtful and interesting read, and that's good. If it lets you consider or become aware of something new, it's even more so.

I won't go into detail but in particular the focus covers the first and second episodes The Thin White Line and In Arcadia Ego, and other characters and mythology too. As soon as I started reading I was thinking about the Pilot episode and The Frenchman.

Whether you agree with all the thoughts presented, some or even none at all, it's a worthy read and at the heart of it, I always love an opportunity to think and consider what Millennium means and is telling us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just read it--good article. Neo-gothic sums it up, though unlike the writer, I wasn't "frustrated" by the characters in In Arcadia Ego dying at the end. There's that inevitability for so many characters in MM, but in this case, made the story that much more poignant. Thin White Line was a Morgan and Wong episode, and I usually liked theirs the most, but I just don't remember it, but it HAS been 25 years, right?🤔

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It was an okay  episode.  I never  thought about  the relationships like that, beyond the  storyline.  I did think  one thing, how stereotypical they made some of the gay characters, like Beebe from "Beware of The Dog"  and the  lesbian couple that found the body in "The Judge", and yes, the  "In Arcadia Ego", the  one woman being overweight  masculine. I never thought at all about the Frenchman in the Pilot episode, beyond how utterly  tortured he was to go so far over the edge in his thinking.

• Like 1

I guess the stereotyping could also be construed as the show being a bit dated by today's standards. What we consider stereotyping today was probably rather groundbreaking at the time (90s--last century!) given LGBTQ wasn't even an acronym and the subject matter still fairly taboo. All in the eyes of the beholder, I think.

Edited by Gotham Gal
add several words
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...