Audible Voice Experience

Rate this topic

Not sure where to put this so i leave it here. I am putting this out there and hope you all dont think i am nuts. i wonder if any of you have experience audible voices that come out of nowhere. This is something i experience a handful of times. Last time it happen was 2 yrs ago. The first time it happen was in church as a kid and it scared the hell out of me. This isnt something like our inner-mind voice, its a voice that is audible outside my surroundings. Its nothing like i am being order to kill or harm, its more like a question or a statement. For example stuff like Why are you here? Watch what your doing? The one in church was like I am watching you. i never sought professional help, but my mom and a close friend tells me it might be a Angel. If thats true, thats cool

• Elders (Moderators)

If you were particularly relaxed/bored at those times, maybe going into a yoga-type trance, then they could be hypnogogic or hypnopompic hallucinations. I've had similar experiences myself, always auditory, though not for quite some years now. Here's an extract from a reputable UK medical web site:

-------------------

Hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations are visual, tactile, auditory, or other sensory events, usually brief but occasionally prolonged, that occur at the transition from wakefulness to sleep (hypnagogic) or from sleep to wakefulness (hypnopompic). The affected individual may hear sounds that are not there and see visual hallucinations. These visual and auditory images are very vivid and may be bizarre or disturbing.

--------------------

They are more likely to be associated with narcolepsy or insomnia than anything else. They're not generally regarded as a problem unless they are associated with excessive daytime sleepiness, in which case it's the daytime sleepiness that's the problem (i.e. don't sleep and drive!).

If you think this description fits your experiences, you can read up more on the web site I found:

https://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40002314/

By the way, I don't think you're nuts (well, no more than I am :oneeyedwinK ). The human brain is amazingly complex and creative so it's not surprising that it does its own thing from time to time.

• Elders (Moderators)

It might be worth trying to think what those different occasions might have had in common. Maybe your mood was the same in each. If they're not associated with being in a dream-like state but maybe tension, they could just be half-remembered things from your memory surfacing up to the conscious level. Thoughts do pop in to people's minds unbidden and they can be expressed via the senses. People vary in which of their senses is the most sensitive.

A thought that's just popped into my mind (but mostly as a thought, but with a vague image as well) is that sometimes the causes of mental events can be quite difficult to pin down - the example I just thought about was the case of a man who blacked out while driving. All the usual neurological tests were done and nothing was found. It took quite an imaginative person to figure out that the man only suffered strange effects when driving while wearing his business outfit. The collar was a little too tight and the effects happened when he needed to turn his head and the collar dug into his neck, temporarily impeding the bloodflow in his carotid artery.

That's what I mean about trying to pin down what these occurrences had in common - and it could be something very ordinary like that.

Of course, I do tend to look for the scientific answers (like Scully), but you might want to explore other kinds of explanation. In that case, it might be worth looking not so much at the possible causes/reasons, but focussing more on your reactions at the time, and what you feel about them now, and what you'd like them to really be. I'm not so good at getting into the psychological reasons why our minds work the way they do, but as I said before, the brain is very complex and I'm certainly aware from personal experience that my subconscious can be quite creative when it's trying to tell me something and often the apparent "message" needs to be de-coded and it turns out to be something very different from what I initially thought.

If they do worry you - and it sounds as though they do - then unless you feel that you're subjected to bizarre-feeling experiences on a frequent basis, there's almost certainly no significant problem. It sounds the kind of thing that's more troubling to you than they would be to, say, a doctor. Don't forget that even low-level illnesses, such as a cold, can temporarily increase body temperature that can trigger strange effects.

Obviously I'm not a doctor, only a medical secretary - and in that capacity, I'd advise thinking about mentioning these occurrences next time you're seeing your doctor, but don't mention experiencing them while you're driving, unless you really think there's a safety risk - most doctors err on the side of caution (i.e. insurance claims) if driving is mentioned.

Also, in my capacity as an ex-Catholic, I'd also suggest talking to someone at your church. I might have lost my faith in religion, but I haven't lost my faith in pastors, many of whom have a tremendous depth of understanding of the way our minds work, and if there is a spiritual component they might be able to assist your understanding of these events.

Just to reiterate - I don't think you're nuts.

• Elders (Moderators)

That's good. I was rather worried it was something that was bothering you a lot. It would be interesting if you could figure out some day what these events were.

It would be interesting to know if other people have experienced the same kind of things. One thing I do know, we in the so-called enlightened western culture are not very good at talking about our experiences on a spiritual/emotional level and it's good we've got a place here where such topics can be discussed and shared.

Guest SouthernCelt

Can't say I've had an experience such as you describe Joe.

There's one audible phenomenon that occurs in my house that I'm sure is simply an acoustics-related event. If I concentrate on really listening to the sound made by my central air conditioning when it's running, there are high-pitched backgrounds sounds that sound like a group of people all whispering. The sounds vary in pitch and no words can be perceived but it can be spook if you concentrate on it for too long.

Another phenomenon that I've noticed, a visual one, is what appears to be a person in silouhette walking across the room toward me. When I go to bed, I can see my TV screen. When it's off, I can see a reflection of an adjoining room that is dimly lit from a security light outside. If I lay there and focus on that reflection, it will soon seem that it begins to move and the movement is this human figure that approaches me. I've gotten to where I won't focus on that reflection or even look directly at it. If I'm not sleepy enough to close my eyes and drift off to sleep, I'll get back up, turn on a room light for a while and do something else. I'm relatively certain this is an optical illusion since there's never been anyone, real or not, visible on direct viewing but only in reflection.