The Pre Storm Breeze Of An Approaching Hurricane

Rate this topic

4th Horseman

Guest Frank L.

I just thought of something. The Dutch government first made an agreement that all birds people kept, should be locked indoors, they couldn't go outside. Later they decided that the birds could go outside again, but only when you were sure that there weren't going to be any migratory birds flying over the area... HOW CAN ANYBODY KNOW THAT???

I just thought of something. The Dutch government first made an agreement that all birds people kept, should be locked indoors, they couldn't go outside. Later they decided that the birds could go outside again, but only when you were sure that there weren't going to be any migratory birds flying over the area... HOW CAN ANYBODY KNOW THAT???
In 2002, the WHO (World Health Org) discovered the H1N2 virus. This came about from a mutation of the existing (at the time) H1N1 and H3N2 viruses. The reason this did not cause a pandemic is because the H1N2 virus is not very different from the currently circulating influenza viruses. The H1 protein of the H1N2 virus is like the H1 protein of the currently circulating H1N1 viruses and the N2 protein is similar to the N2 protein in the currently circulating H3N2 viruses.

The following point is absolute in understanding the reason why this was not cause for a worldwide issue:

A pandemic virus MUST have a NEW hemagglutinin or a NEW hemagglutinin and neuraminidase protein on an influenza A virus. It must not have circulated among humans and so forth, most or all of the population would have no protective antibodies. Because the new H1N2 virus has the hemagglutinin of the currently circulating H1N1 virus and the neuraminidase of the currently circulating H3N2 virus, most people will have been exposed to and have antibodies against these viruses, because of the similarity of the H/A proteins.

So, there are many different subtypes of type A flu viruses. These subtypes differ because of certain proteins on the surface of the flu A virus (hemagglutinin [HA] and neuraminidase [NA] proteins). There are 16 different HA subtypes and 9 different NA subtypes of flu A viruses. Many different combinations of HA and NA proteins are possible. Each combination is a different subtype. All subtypes of flu A viruses can be found in birds. There are only three known subtypes of human flu viruses (H1N1, H1N2, and H3N2); it is likely that some genetic parts of current human flu A viruses came from birds originally. Flu A viruses are constantly changing, and they might adapt over time to infect and spread among humans. If H5N1 does begin to occur here in the States, as it most likely will somewhere down the road, and as long as its mutations do not produce brand new proteins of which our immune system has no knowledge of or defense to, it will be no worse than any other strain of influenza A, periodically changing over time causing new vaccines that would be based on its antigens. Where we will be in trouble is if it does go thru antigenic shift and mutates into something more sinister.

again, if anyone here knows more about this than me, feel free to correct me or add your knowledge..

The Fourth Horseman

hey old buddy, im sure this isnt related, but we have had an inordinate amount of citzens calling in reference dead birds in their yards, no reason given, our animal control officers have bagged up about 25 in the last couple of weeks, noticed reading some reports the other day, that several have been shipped to Little Rock for testing.....kind of strange huh?

hey old buddy, im sure this isnt related, but we have had an inordinate amount of citzens calling in reference dead birds in their yards, no reason given, our animal control officers have bagged up about 25 in the last couple of weeks, noticed reading some reports the other day, that several have been shipped to Little Rock for testing.....kind of strange huh?
And i wonder, still i wonder, who'll stop the rain...

Hey Gunslinger..good to see you on the board...sounds like you might have a re-appearance of the West Nile Virus...most commonly spread from infected misquitoes to birds. It can be spread to humans by the same misquitoes, but it is not transmissable from person to person...

EU Health and Consumer Protection Commissioner Markos Kyprianou said on Thursday a bird flu outbreak in Turkey was indeed H5N1 -- which first surfaced in Hong Kong eight years ago -- and that Europe should prepare for a pandemic.

H5N1 is considered the biggest direct disease threat to humanity. Experts estimate that, if it acquires the ability to infect people easily and spread from person to person efficiently, it will make more than 25 million people seriously ill and kill as many as 7 million.

hey, we still on for that bar-b-que next year??

The Fourth Horseman

Guest SouthernCelt

Last year we had a lot of birds dropping from West Nile Virus. The state lab had its hands full trying to keep up with all the necroscopies and pathology work.

Now on top of all that gone before, Mississippi has just had it's first human death from rabies in probably 50 or more years. I'm really starting to get concerned that there has been a major pathogen mutation and that we can't handle a number of diseases anymore.

And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvellous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God. -- Revelation 15:6-7 (King James Version)

"WE'RE RACING TOWARDS AN APOCALYPSE OF OUR OWN MAKING."

How about another log for the fire?

This isn't about avain flu, but rather, old bugs revisted. Record amounts of warm water in the atlantic are pushing up into the arctic regions causing massive melting to occur. The ice in the galciers is more than a repository for greenhouse gasses. It also contains biologicals that have been trapped in the ice for centuries, and millennia.

https://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=4890

There were two X-Files that visited this theme - Darkness Falls and Ice - the scale of the trapped biologicals were just bigger than what we will soon face.

Maxx

Guest Frank L.

It's funny (and scary) how relevant some of the episodes of my two favorite shows (XF & MM) are. It's starting to get more frequent where I can say: "hey, that was on the X-Files" or "it looks just like MillenniuM".