Overlooked Gems

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

My overlooked gems are:

'Blood Reletives'.

'Wide Open'.

'Broken World'.

'Sense and Antisense'.

'The Pest House' (last twenty minutes/half hour only).

'The Innocents/Exegesis'.

'Human Essence' (I don't care what people say, this episode is good).

'Bardo Thodol'.

'Nostalgia' is great but I wasn't aware that people did look down on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Did anyone notice the subtle hints at the TV series "Twin Peaks"? Like in that show a blonde woman is killed who's name Liddy Hooper sound a lot like Laura Palmer. The sheriff's name is Briggs like the name of Laura Palmer's boyfriend (Bobby Briggs). The small town with the white fences, the spooky atmosphere, the countless suspects and the bar (Roadhouse - Bar None) are all reminders of David Lynch's TV show. I like the idea of Frank being an older and even wiser version of Agent Dale Cooper.

And the foot reminds me a lot of the ear in David Lynch's "Blue Velvet".

Excellent observation Mr. Cox! Yes, there are many similarities in this episode that recalls VERY strongly David Lynch's wonderful show, especially the setting being a small town with the sheriff and all, etc. The unique thing about this particular episode was it's primary 'bad' guy; I cannot recall a single other episode where the 'killer' was actually warmly coaxed and persuaded to confess. Do you remember ANY other episode where Frank used such conversational psychology to encourage the killer to confess???

To me that was VERY striking indeed and added a tremendous facet of warmth and connection with the killer that NEVER has been shown from that angle, especially with all the heartless, and singularly evil killers of the First Season. Also, tied in closely with this was the emphasis on how because of the authorites NOT finding out and persuing the killer that he became emboldened to do it again and again. I personally find this very subtle and insidious portrayal of a killer almost more chilling than the obviously 'Evil from the getgo' killers that usually have been portrayed on MillenniuM. It almost lulls us with the idea that ANYONE falling into this set of circumstances could be corrupted and lured into killing due to the events surrounding this particular situation. Kinda disturbing when you really think about it...

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I dont see this episode discussed alot. I watched it today and really enjoyed it. I find this episode probably one of the best in Season 3. Watch the cinematography and direction, with me i was amazed. Maybe part of the reason it was a good epi, Micheal R Perry wrote it. I encourage you all to re-watch it. Tell me what you think of it.

I agree, I loved that episode, and you rarely see it discussed. In fact, when I was watching my S3 DVDs the first time through, I didn't even recognize the title. When I read the brief synopsis, I still didn't remember what episode it was. Yes, it has some great cinematography, direction, and writting as well. It kind of kept you guessing. At one point I wondered if the police were going to be involved in the killings. Speaking of the police, did anyone recognize the police guy who knew Emma from their childhood? He has bounced around on a few shows, including a really good, recurring role on NYPD Blue as one of the doctors. That was another plus for the episode, the casting. It's yet another example of a great episode I forgot about when I was short changing S3 and not giving it it's props. Like I have mentioned many times, watching all three of the seasons on DVD, in their intirety, and each episode several times, my order of favorite seasons remains S2, followed by S1 and then S3, but they are much more bunched together than I remembered.

Yes I liked this episode too. It reminded me of the first season episode themes, the serial killers etc.

Also of note is April Telek (Liddy Hooper) who you might recognise better as Calamity from the Pilot episode.

Ahhh, yet another little detail that I never would have noticed.

Also of note is April Telek (Liddy Hooper) who you might recognise better as Calamity from the Pilot episode.

As far as I'm concerned, Ms. Hooter, Oh, I'm terribly sorry, I mean Ms. Hooper can guest star ANY time! :w00t:

Guest MrCox
The unique thing about this particular episode was it's primary 'bad' guy; I cannot recall a single other episode where the 'killer' was actually warmly coaxed and persuaded to confess. Do you remember ANY other episode where Frank used such conversational psychology to encourage the killer to confess???

I'd even say Frank feels much more relaxed in this case. I guess that he really took the lesson he learned at the end of "Seven And One" very seriously because he seems to accept that his gift is not a curse at all. The gift is a gift from God that he has to use the best way possible. I don't think Frank could have used his gift in such a way in season 1 or 2.

These scenes in which Frank urged the killer to confess reminded me A LOT of the technique Columbo used. He never told the killer "You did it", he just compiled the evidence and confronted the killer with it. The way Frank used this technique was almost a spiritual thing! He caught the killer and forgave him these crimes at the same time. There is definately a connection to the theme of forgiveness in "Through A Glass, Darkly".

I'd even say Frank feels much more relaxed in this case. I guess that he really took the lesson he learned at the end of "Seven And One" very seriously because he seems to accept that his gift is not a curse at all. The gift is a gift from God that he has to use the best way possible. I don't think Frank could have used his gift in such a way in season 1 or 2.

These scenes in which Frank urged the killer to confess reminded me A LOT of the technique Columbo used. He never told the killer "You did it", he just compiled the evidence and confronted the killer with it. The way Frank used this technique was almost a spiritual thing! He caught the killer and forgave him these crimes at the same time. There is definately a connection to the theme of forgiveness in "Through A Glass, Darkly".

Very nicely said Mr. Cox! There was almost a sort of 'transcendent' quality in the way Frank was talking to the killer; kind of 'spiritual' like you say. Interesting comparison to 'Columbo' too; I certainly NEVER would have thought of that in a million years : )

I just thought this particular factor stood out as quite different for MilleniuM, and particularly starkly contrasting with the kind of killers seen early in Season One.

Guest betweenthelines
Also of note is April Telek (Liddy Hooper) who you might recognise better as Calamity from the Pilot episode

She was in "Harsh Realm" also, no? I vaguely remember Chris Carter saying something similiar in the Season 1 commentary.

As for 'The Innocents', that was okay. The best scenes in that episode focused on Frank and his attempts to start a new life without Catherine. The airplane crash story... no thanks.

Would 'Goodbye Charlie' be considered an "overlooked gem"? I was watching it today and I came to realize that it's a lot more enjoyable the second time around.

My overlooked gems are:

'Blood Reletives'.

'Wide Open'.

'Broken World'.

'Sense and Antisense'.

'The Pest House' (last twenty minutes/half hour only).

'The Innocents/Exegesis'.

'Human Essence' (I don't care what people say, this episode is good).

'Bardo Thodol'.

'Nostalgia' is great but I wasn't aware that people did look down on it.

Good choices...mind if i add one i think as well was overlooked..

"Weeds" - i just thought the whole premise of "the sins of the father are visited upon the son" was very well done...purification by blood, the consequences of ones actions, and in the end the father knowing that the only way to spare his son was to take his own life...pretty heavy stuff...

Also, MDM, your "voice crying in the wilderness" in regards to "Human Essence" is unique, because i feel the very same way about 19:19...I personally found this episode, with the exception of the COMPLETELY UNBELIEVABLE tornado scene, to be very well done...I know it has not been received here in large numbers, but again, i know what i like...

4th Horseman

Good choices...mind if i add one i think as well was overlooked..

"Weeds" - i just thought the whole premise of "the sins of the father are visited upon the son" was very well done...purification by blood, the consequences of ones actions, and in the end the father knowing that the only way to spare his son was to take his own life...pretty heavy stuff...

Also, MDM, your "voice crying in the wilderness" in regards to "Human Essence" is unique, because i feel the very same way about 19:19...I personally found this episode, with the exception of the COMPLETELY UNBELIEVABLE tornado scene, to be very well done...I know it has not been received here in large numbers, but again, i know what i like...

4th Horseman

And I too liked 'Human Essence' just fine; I would have liked a BIT more explanation as to the transition between just exactly what the hell the 'government' was trying to do and what possible connection it had to this one particular chemist...??? And, although it added a heck of a creepy element for him to be on the stuff himself, why...??? Other than the desired possible further clarification, I thought the epiosde, although not exactly MillenniuM material (MUCH more X-Files material, I would think) still, very atmospheric and entertaining. Perhaps just a tad light in the 'logic' department : )

I guess I hafta join you two in my pet episode 'Anamnesis' where most here (with the exception of a couple of REAL Season 2 enthusiasts) don't really care for it (although it did rate fairly decently in the 'favorite episode poll : )

As for '19:19', I thought also that it was entertaining and had an excellent build up to indicating that one of the children was a future saviour. The Biblical tie-ins were well done too, I felt.

I suppose everyone has their episode that they like whereas a lot of others may not care for it...