Spooky, disgusting, frightening, or...?

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

Doctors puzzled over bizarre infection surfacing in South Texas

If diseases like AIDS and bird flu scare you, wait until you hear what's next. Doctors are trying to find out what is causing a bizarre and mysterious infection that's surfaced in South Texas.

Morgellons disease is not yet known to kill, but if you were to get it, you might wish you were dead, as the symptoms are horrible.

"These people will have like beads of sweat but it's black, black and tarry," said Ginger Savely, a nurse practioner in Austin who treats a majority of these patients.

Patients get lesions that never heal.

"Sometimes little black specks that come out of the lesions and sometimes little fibers," said Stephanie Bailey, Morgellons patient. :eyes:

Read entire article

Visit the Morgellons web site

Guest gmcp

Wow, sounds pretty terrible.

Right now, the link to the article is dead, so I can't read more about it. I haven't seen it picked up by any wire services, so it doesn't seem like it's too severe.

And I'd rather have this than bird flu... this thing just seems to leave some cosmetic artifacts, not necessarily death.

Guest SouthernCelt
Wow, sounds pretty terrible.

Right now, the link to the article is dead, so I can't read more about it. I haven't seen it picked up by any wire services, so it doesn't seem like it's too severe.

And I'd rather have this than bird flu... this thing just seems to leave some cosmetic artifacts, not necessarily death.

I guess they archived the story. I can't get it now either. I don't know that your reaction to the "teaser" text I put in the original posting is necessarily appropriate. The latter part of the story that now can't be read mentioned that at least one man committed suicide because his case caused such a massive number of lesions and hurt so badly that he couldn't kill the pain adequately and decided to end the whole thing.

Also the disease web site says that cases have been reported from every state although California, Texas and Florida have the most cases and the greatest concentration of cases within small areas.

The article said that while the disease did not appear to be contagious between humans, the most common health similarity between those diagnosed was that about half of them had also been diagnosed with Lyme disease. The disease website says the disease seems to facilitate the development of central nervous system maladies such as Bipolar Disorder.

I find it interesting that there have been enough cases of this in the US (of obviously varying seriousness) to rival the number of verified cases of Avian Flu but this disease is almost unheard of except for local news reports while the Avian Flu is analyzed up one side and down the other and all sorts of statistical projections about the possibility of pandemic spread are made. Could it be because the medical community can explain the cause of Avian Flu but can't speculate much on Morgellons?

Guest The Black Lodge

dear God that's dreadful. And I thought Ebola was bad!

yeeesh! ((shudders))

TBL

Guest gmcp
I find it interesting that there have been enough cases of this in the US (of obviously varying seriousness) to rival the number of verified cases of Avian Flu but this disease is almost unheard of except for local news reports while the Avian Flu is analyzed up one side and down the other and all sorts of statistical projections about the possibility of pandemic spread are made. Could it be because the medical community can explain the cause of Avian Flu but can't speculate much on Morgellons?

The Avian Flu is sensationalist news. While it is certainly a threat, right now you can't elevate it past the importance of mad cow disease -- it infects poultry, and that has horrible commercial repurcussions. Every other aspect of the disease is mostly speculative.

The Avian Flu is a good story because it deals with international trade (its not America who's spreading the disease, its Asia and Eruope!), and it can be labeled as the possible "plague of our time." It is also a good story because plenty of scientists are competing to get a vaccine out, because they will all of a sudden make a TON of sales.

And I imagine that news outlets aren't reporting on this disease because it has pretty greusome defects... and no one wants to look at those. Seriously, its as simple as that.

God save the media :nope:

Guest SouthernCelt

The articles just keep coming [All in the head?] but it looks like the doctors are trying to "fight back" by claiming this isn't a medical condition but a mental one. Seems interesting that if the physical discomfort and other Morgellons symptoms are of a mental condition that "ain't quite right," the doctors wouldn't be blowing it off as something that can't be dealt with medically. I thought we were all supposed to consider mental problems to be diseases just as much as physical ones.

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
The Avian Flu is sensationalist news. While it is certainly a threat, right now you can't elevate it past the importance of mad cow disease -- it infects poultry, and that has horrible commercial repurcussions. Every other aspect of the disease is mostly speculative.

The Avian Flu is a good story because it deals with international trade (its not America who's spreading the disease, its Asia and Eruope!), and it can be labeled as the possible "plague of our time." It is also a good story because plenty of scientists are competing to get a vaccine out, because they will all of a sudden make a TON of sales.

And I imagine that news outlets aren't reporting on this disease because it has pretty greusome defects... and no one wants to look at those. Seriously, its as simple as that.

God save the media :nope:

Absolutely! Not to be totally one-sided or dismissive, let's not forget that our 'Dear' Vice President over here (aka: The Great Hunter) is a SERIOUS stock holder in the pharmaceudical company who is developing the 'vaccine' for Avian Flu... Hmmm..., let's see now... if they mandate this vaccine for all schools and children, I wonder how much money the company would make....??? Gee..., that's a REAL puzzler... :nope:

BTW, concerning the original subject here, that disease sounds friggin' CREEPY!!! :yes: