Your Fav MLM Sub-Plot or Recurring Story/Mytharc

Rate this topic

Just curious what peoples favs are.  One of the completely under developed sub-plots that I found very intriguing was the Family sub-plot which appeared in only one episode.  I suspect that if MLM had continued into another season that we may have seen this revisited.  But, in any case, I was really intrigued and excited that another sect of early Christianity was explored in this episode, even sighting Apocryphal writings credited to Mary Magdalene - the Gospell of Mary, I believe.  I was also excited that they introduced the story of the marriage of Jesus and Mary Magdalene and their children and decendents.  Many, from various cultures, believe that Mary and Jesus were married.  There are many that believe that Jesus never actually died on the cross, but only "smooned," and that he latter regain consciousness, and was assisted in escaping the tomb.  There are accounts of him then travelling to India and other lands, to continue his teaching.

There accounts that most people believe to be the "true" account of Christ's life and teachings, are just one set amoung many.  There are countless other writings and scriptures that were phased out of the accepted teachings of various periods of history.  The reason they were phased out was largely because they often taught that one should seek god and truth within one's self, and not guidence from an "authority."  Some where also phased out because they did not fit with the organized and corporate doctrines of whatever the appointed Christian authority wanted propogated at various periods of history.  These are not the only reasons, but the bottom line was largely control and authoritarian dogma.

This is what I have found in my own research so far.

Anyway, I am very glad that the MLM once again was not afraid to tackle another possible truth and the potential controversy it might create through Anamnesis.

Guest PROVO_SIX
This story line fell right into place about a year or so after I finished a well known book -- likely of Mason origin -- Holy Blood, Holy Grail.  This is where I first heard of the Magdalenians (hehe...that's my wife's name too) and the full meaning of Et in Arcadia Ego [sp].  I was really hooked by Carter's willingness to "go there."  This made me a die-hard fan.

Guest LauraKrycek

"Anamnesis" was a really great episode.  One of my favorites, despite the complete abscence of Frank.  I would've liked to have seen that storyline explored a little more, had there been a chance.  Or had the writers from season 3 not been so bad.  But this is not the time nor the place for that.

I'd have to say that another one of my favorite sub-plots was the Lucy Butler\demons-chasing-Frank one, but with the way it was in seasons 1 and 2 (a la PPTD and Curse of Frank Black), not in ones like "Antipas" (which I really didn't like at all).  Oh, and "A Room with No View"; another good one, but not as good as far as furthering the Lucy Butler storyline (I mean that as in the part where he finds her picture; yes, it adds to the mystery, but also I thought it revealed too much in a not-good way.  Like if we'd seen the shark through the entire movie "Jaws".  No mystery and suspense.).  I liked it when it was the secret stalker who could appear anytime, anyplace, and you never knew what it was going to look like.  The only thing you could be sure of was that even if you felt that that person is who killed someone or did something like that, you could never pin it on them.   They were, strangely, untouchable.  But as it got later on, it was always "Oh, Frank, it's Lucy Butler again?  Well, I don't believe you yet,  but I will in five minutes, then we'll meet up with her again."  Lost something.  Anyway...

Things like this in MLM just utterly intrigued me.  It seemed like CC and the crew were unafraid to tackle anything.  I mean, the subject matter of both Arcadia Ego, and Anamnesis!  You can't get much more "heretical" than the subject matter and implications of these two episodes as far as so called traditional and mainstream society and civilization are concerned.  And yet, there it is on a major network for all to see, with no apologies or hesitation.  I am actually surprised that they were even able to get these episodes past the censors to see the light of day!  Just more reason for me to become a thorough MLM enthusiast.

Guest PROVO_SIX

I wanted to refresh my memory on the book mentioned above and found this xfiles reference embeded in a review.

Embarking on the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' mystery means exploring where Pop Culture and the Sacred intersect in an infinite regressing nest of quantum combinations. The original book spawned several television documentaries and brought contemporary occult subcultures into the mainstream (even influencing conspiracy theorists like Robert Anton Wilson), foreshadowing the impact of the 'X-Files' television series with a combination of foreboding and wonder that entranced audiences worldwide. If many early conspiriologists feel that armchair conspiracy theorizing has become too popular and too mainstream, then the 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' phenomena may be seen in retrospect as the critical turning point where a Culture exploded beyond previous thresholds and began to devour itself.

https://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/dossier/id96/pg1/

...i really enjoyed chip johannessen's "In Arcadia Ego"-(and this ep,as well as "luminary",are reasons why i was so glad he took over exec-producing/writing in S3)-but reagrding "Anamnesis" i always felt this ep to be very week in almost every way. firstly it was a continuation of the in your face religious gunk that typified the latter eps of S2,and secondly,maher/reindl's script was just not engaging to me at all. they took what were,for sure,controversial topics,and somehow turned it into 45 minutes of sheer boredom. this was my reaction the very first time i saw it when it first aired,and it still is my reaction.

...just one fan's take on this. :arguing:  :devil01:  :;):

~se7en :ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek
I really liked "In Arcadia Ego" as well.  It's what made me adore Melissa "Missy" Crider, who I'd never seen before, who went on to a wonderful performance as Satori on "The Others".  That was a good retelling of the virgin birth storyline (unlike the crap they pulled on XF... anyway!), and I really enjoyed it.  Love conquers all, even if you kill people (all in self-defense, of course).  Wonder if Joseph took down some people on their way to Bethlehem?  Hm... something to think about.   :thinking_big:

Guest Wellington

Hi

I too would go for the Family sub-plot. The references given in the ep were those of a truly marvelous and poetic derivative of the Roman canon. There is also a mention of the town of Boulogne sur Mer, which is the town where I was born! It gave me shivers the first time I watched it!  :eyebrows_big:

Provo: you mention the book Holy blood, Holy Grail. I am so disappointed not to have been able to red this topic earlier... I have spent 2 whole years poundering whether I should buy it or not, whether it was worth a purchase (signifying an endorsement from myself) or not. The myth tackled in it and other subsequent books looks really seriously documented, BUT... I have finally decided to forget the idea of reading it. I have made many researches about the authors, and despite a huge commercial success (probably amongst new-aged crazed people - and I mean no offence to anyone, just state that these books are food for their brains, thus justifying a success) all I have found were reports of a dubious reputation. Their masonic background seems to be true, but their coming out was nothing earth shaking... They seem to make more of it than it is worth. I think that the fact that probably stopped me is that the so called Prince who wrote the foreword and endorsed the book is nothing but a con. His name seems unknown in the European gotha, as well as his would-be title. A destituted noble man adds to the romance, but too much is simply too much. I have no trouble believing that the authors made lots of researches in non canonic texts, spent a lot of time articulating their interpretation and presenting it to the public, but I have no trouble either not trusting them on their simple relation to this guy. Maybe I should not, but I expected so much more seriousness from people whose ambition was to rewrite History.

But apart from these books, I would say that Magdalene facts could be closer to the real facts than slimmed down canon texts. After all, even canon texts seem to present a carnal brotherhood to Christ! The non canon texts include several other gospels from other apostles, and differents stories about Magdalene. But it is probable that each and every christian derivative of the early years had their own reference, as untrustworthy as any other. But then I guess that the 4 official gospels just have the advantage to tell about the same story from being written far apart from one another. And I am not defending them either!  :wink_big:

For those interested in the Jesus-Magdalene myth, a big thing came up in the public interest in France, about 15 years ago, in a small village called Rennes Le Château. It deals with a priest who got tremendously rich, and whose wealth would be due to the discovery of an hidden treasure around the village. It is a gold mine for myth searchers, for it involves Templar knights, Merovingian ascendency, Magdalenistic beliefs, and Nicolas Poussin's Et in Arcadia Ego paint (maybe it is not the name, but it is written on it). So far, the only treasure was one for the tourism and commercial workers, but the whole magic surrounding this story is worth spending several hours!

Well, I sincerely hope that nothing in my words can be interpreted as offensive for any of you, especially for you, Provo_six, for you were the one who mentioned the book first. I am open to discuss it, be it by pm if more convenient for the needs of the board.

Regards

Guest PROVO_SIX

Nothing offensive at all...

The book was my first exposure to a comprehensive assault on Roman Catholic and Christian beliefs.  The source is more interesting.  The one take away is the non-speculative adversarial relationship between the Masons and the Catholic Church.

It still boggles my mind that many newly weds will have their wedding reception at a Masonic Temple.  The agenda of the illuminati (33rd level) is still a mystery and many assert that it is for the dissolution of organized religion and allegiance to the one supreme rule -- the "G" in the middle of the Masonic symbol, the detached eye on the pyramid on the back side of the US dollar (also roses at the base of the pyramid allegedly symbolizing the Rosecrucians).

This is all good stuff.  If anything, these notions convinced me to take a side with regard to religion. Religious commentary (assault or support) does not scare nor offend me.  One priest that married me and my wife claims he doesn't know much about the Masons or secret societies.  Another, during my trip to France, Portugal, and Spain, was well educated on the matter and makes no bones of the well documented historical battle -- and continued tenuous relationship -- between the Catholic Church and the Masons.

BTW, Frank was apparently baptized Catholic -- as alluded to when his brother got married in the same church where he was baptised (S1 Sacrament ).  The priest, background, celtic cross all appears to be Catholic.  Any thoughts?