The Field Where I Died...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

I didn't really appreciate this episode as much the first few times I watched it, but I must admit that even if you are not particularly taken with the premise of the story, still, it was very moving and sad in places. And of course it DID star Kristen Cloke (sp?)

To me the most touching scenes (and granted they were REALLY low-key) were where Kristen adopts the persona of the Civil War woman and her dialogue about the tenderness and love between her and Mulder's past life. Just truly beautiful...; and Duchovny's response was very good too... Mainly it was the wistful and the magical way that she assumed that particular character that really got to me...

"Souls....come together.....different, but always together."

(Fox Mulder)

I believe in that myself..... and that gave me hope for quite a while..... but now I'm not sure.

This episode had some of the most beautifuly written moments in all of X Files history.... and Kristen's acting just pushed it over the top!

"At times I almost dream...

I, too, have spent a life the sage's way,

And tread once more familiar paths.

Perchance I perished in an arrogant self-reliance an age ago; and in that act, a prayer.

For one more chance went up so earnest, so

Instict with better light let in by death,

That life was blotted out -- not so completly

But scattered wrecks enough of it remain,

Dim memories, as now, when once more seems

The goal in sight again......"

(From The X Files, "The Field Where I Died".)

The goal may not be reached in this life either.....

Maybe, someday....

"Souls....come together.....different, but always together."

(Fox Mulder)

I believe in that myself..... and that gave me hope for quite a while..... but now I'm not sure.

This episode had some of the most beautifuly written moments in all of X Files history.... and Kristen's acting just pushed it over the top!

The goal may not be reached in this life either.....

Maybe, someday....

Yes, it had some REALLY touching moments all right; and the real beauty of it was that such a show if not done EXACTLY right (thank you AGAIN Morgan & Wong :bigsmile: ) it could have fallen on it's face.

I tell you, I know that a number of the wonderful people here are not real thrilled with the direction that Morgan & Wong took MillenniuM, however, as storytellers, these guys are sheer genius and true artists. The use of mood, camera, soundZ, timing, everything..., it just WORKS! :yes:

What you say about the meeting of souls sounds so sad...; it honestly IS a lovely thought, but it presupposes the transmigration of the soul, etc. However, that doesn't mean that two souls cannot become very close in this life.

Guest SouthernCelt

This is one of my favorite XF eps. It doesn't get much general attention because it doesn't involve any of the more sensational plot elements, e.g., 'fluke man' or the ET storyline, and the conclusion was about the only one that the story could have had. I think it struck a chord with me because of my Southern heritage.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes, it had some REALLY touching moments all right; and the real beauty of it was that such a show if not done EXACTLY right (thank you AGAIN Morgan & Wong :bigsmile: ) it could have fallen on it's face.

I tell you, I know that a number of the wonderful people here are not real thrilled with the direction that Morgan & Wong took MillenniuM, however, as storytellers, these guys are sheer genius and true artists. The use of mood, camera, soundZ, timing, everything..., it just WORKS! :yes:

What you say about the meeting of souls sounds so sad...; it honestly IS a lovely thought, but it presupposes the transmigration of the soul, etc. However, that doesn't mean that two souls cannot become very close in this life.

This is also one of my favorite XF episodes, although I have not seen it in years. Once in a while I run across an XF rerun and, if it's one of my favs, I stick around and watch it. This is one that I would love to run across, not only because it is great, but because, from my memory, it is the best acting I have seen from Kristen. Funny that you mention it is by Morgan and Wong. It seems like so much of the great stuff in both MM and XF has their paw prints all over it. I don't have to tell you how much I loved the direction of Millennium, and recent viewing of Owls/Roosters have even given me a new appreciation of those two episodes, although they are not personal favorites. Watching the division and turmoil within the group in these two episodes only adds to my view that season three writers were left with endless possibilities in dealing with the Millennium group, Peter Watts (and his relationship with Frank) and the whole virus story line.

i wonder if i should start a thread called....X-file Episodes that made you cry

EXACTLY! I'll admit that this one did...

BTW, just to show you the cleverness of the writers, one of the best lines in the show was where Scully just got through answering Mulder when he asked 'If you knew that we had been close friends in previous lives do you think it would have made a difference in how we would have felt about things?' She looks directly at him and says quite seriously 'I wouldn't change a day'... And then she turns to go out the door, pauses, turns around and says in JUST the perfect way, 'Except that Flukeman thing... I coulda done without that.'

Dude, I NEVER laughed so hard at a line in the X-Files! And immediately following such a meaninful statement... BEAUTIFUL...

• 9 months later...
Guest lonegungrrly1121

you know, I've missed this place! I was over at another board just today discussing this episode, and the general consensus of the fans there voted it the number 1 episode to fall asleep to!!! honestly, just because it hasn't got mulder and scully flirting, hugging or kissing....

I think its a beautiful episode, and also a great concept. it always makes me think about the souls close to me in my life, and what other forms we might have took in past lives (hypothetically)

Kristen cloke was great too, I loved her diffferent personas, and it was so sad when she died. I think she died believing in Mulder's theory though, so it was bittersweet.

and,

BTW, just to show you the cleverness of the writers, one of the best lines in the show was where Scully just got through answering Mulder when he asked 'If you knew that we had been close friends in previous lives do you think it would have made a difference in how we would have felt about things?' She looks directly at him and says quite seriously 'I wouldn't change a day'... And then she turns to go out the door, pauses, turns around and says in JUST the perfect way, 'Except that Flukeman thing... I coulda done without that.'

Dude, I NEVER laughed so hard at a line in the X-Files! And immediately following such a meaninful statement... BEAUTIFUL..

haha I have to agree! that part is genious, it always makes me smile. though.. really, if she had to change something, you'd think she'd choose to not have been abducted/made barren ? but it's her choice.. the fluke worm was pretty disgusting!

Edited by lonegungrrly1121

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
hey lonegun, long time no see

where you been?

lonegungrrly1121 has been gone so long that she is before my time. That's a great user name though, I like that. I'm surprised they didn't add a lone gungirl in the lone gunmen series, but then again, maybe they did. I never did get into the show. They were great as part of the X-files, but the show with them by themselves just didn't work for me.