The Field Where I Died...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

Guest SouthernCelt
lonegungrrly1121 has been gone so long that she is before my time. That's a great user name though, I like that. I'm surprised they didn't add a lone gungirl in the lone gunmen series, but then again, maybe they did. I never did get into the show. They were great as part of the X-files, but the show with them by themselves just didn't work for me.

Oh, the three lone gun stooges had their own lone gun girl to contend with. She was pretty much their nemesis in most capers until circumstances would force them to ally. She, of course, projected the opposite image to the three lone gunners, i.e., she was a knock-out raven-haired looker with a dynamite body and, well, you know what they looked and acted like. She bailed their butts out more than once in the short-lived series.

It was definitely not on a par with other 1013 shows but they played it as much for laughs as they did for anything serious, at least until "Jump the Shark" when they resolved the gunmen's story by killing them off (or at least that's what they wanted you to believe :oneeyedwinK .)

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Oh, the three lone gun stooges had their own lone gun girl to contend with. She was pretty much their nemesis in most capers until circumstances would force them to ally. She, of course, projected the opposite image to the three lone gunners, i.e., she was a knock-out raven-haired looker with a dynamite body and, well, you know what they looked and acted like. She bailed their butts out more than once in the short-lived series.

It was definitely not on a par with other 1013 shows but they played it as much for laughs as they did for anything serious, at least until "Jump the Shark" when they resolved the gunmen's story by killing them off (or at least that's what they wanted you to believe :oneeyedwinK .)

Thanks for that, I don't remember if I watched it a lot and didn't like it, or if the whole idea of the Lone Gunmen carrying a show didn't appeal to me and I never gave it much of a chance. I think I watched enough to get the gist, and it didn't float my boat. If I didn't give it a fair chance, oh well, it doesn't interest me enough to pursue it. No offense to those who did like it, it might have been very good and just not my cup of tea. Given the people involved, I'm sure it had it's good points.

Guest Laurent.

I loved The Lone Gunmen series...

and also liked The Field Where I Died... but I had a hard time with Kristen Cloke acting in this one, yet I know it must have been a really hard role to play.

Oh, and just one small thing:

Is that really how a 19th century southern accent should sound like? Cause I thought it was over the top at some point..

and also liked The Field Where I Died... but I had a hard time with Kristen Cloke acting in this one, yet I know it must have been a really hard role to play.

Is that really how a 19th century southern accent should sound like? Cause I thought it was over the top at some point..

Good points Laran...i found Cloke's acting to be a bit hammy, especially with the squinty-eyed Bugsy accent...not one of my favorites...

4th Horseman...

Guest SouthernCelt

Not really, it was obviously forced. Just as a New Yorker can tell the difference between a native and a pretending outsider, most Southerners can detect artificial accents. Usually if the actor sounds really natural with a Southern accent, it's because that's where they really grew up and have had to be coached not to sound Southern for most of their roles.

I don't think there's an appreciable difference in accents between the 19th century and today except in larger Southern cities where the influx of people from other regions has caused some blending of accents. (Also many of the Yuppie types have tried to become less Southern because they think it'll help them in dealing with non-Southerners.) For example, most lifelong Atlanta residents sound less Southern than their rural counterparts just 50 miles away.

With that said about accents, I think there is a vast difference in the language (the words and terms) that people speak. Part of that is the natural evolution of terms dropping out of use because they're no longer needed and new, often non-Southern, terms coming into use. An example of this that I always like to throw out is a term my father used that's never heard anymore. Do any of you know what a Southerner means by "a harrican"? Well, that's a variation on the word "hurricane" but referring to any wind storm. A "harrican" is a tree that has been blown over by a high wind and its roots have pulled up a big ball of soil leaving a shallow hole.

(In case you haven't guessed, this is an area that I've had some interest in for some time, probably since the 60s when I went to North Carolina for a month and encountered a whole variety of accents within a small geographic area of north central NC. Even encountered one community so heavily influenced by their Scottish origins many generations ago that they still spoke with a Scottish brogue.)

Guest lonegungrrly1121
hey lonegun, long time no see

where you been?

hey! haha i know it's been ages. I've not been on the net much, and I've really missed this place! good to be back.. what have i missed?

hey! haha i know it's been ages. I've not been on the net much, and I've really missed this place! good to be back.. what have i missed?

Well, not sure if you know but there is a Virtual Season 5 and there is a specific thread, Greetings from Gretna,LA that is rather intresting due to me and Bliss's antics

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I thought it might be a little over the top, and if I remember correctly, it seems like Maddie Haskel from "The Wild and the Innocent" in Millennium was a little over the top, but a real life southern girl in an episode of "Miami Ink" gave me second thoughts about that. Keep in mind, there are still people right here in the United States, for example, the New Orleans bayou, who have such a thick pronounced accent that you can hardly understand them in other areas of the country. I agree though, it was a hard role, and Kristen was chewing the scenery a bit. Still though, great performance and great episode.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Well, not sure if you know but there is a Virtual Season 5 and there is a specific thread, Greetings from Gretna,LA that is rather intresting due to me and Bliss's antics

Virtual season 5? wow when I went AWOL we were up to season 4 I think.. I used to help out with the artwork and banners. I shall check out the threads!

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Virtual season 5? wow when I went AWOL we were up to season 4 I think.. I used to help out with the artwork and banners. I shall check out the threads!

I would be careful before checking out the Gretna, LA thread. There might be some images in that thread that will be burned into your memory forever, and this is not necessarily a good thing. Also, all of the posts about Joe were true, while all of the posts about me were fabricated or unfounded. :oneeyedwinK