Millenium LD from JAPAN

Rate this topic

Guest Queensryche

Guest LauraKrycek

That's great!  Wish it occurred to me to write for pictures.  I'll have to try that with some of my shows.  Are they only the smaller shows, or would even writing about something big (like XF in its last couple of seasons) get you something?

"Mad About You".  I loved that show.

I saw "Love Actually" a few days ago and adored it.  One of the best movies I've ever seen, I think.  I laughed, I almost cried (didn't want to look a fool to the person I was with), and I felt all warm and tingly afterwards.  Magic.

Guest Pretender909
Altavista Babelfish Translations!!!! You rule Laura. I never heard of this, and it will be my new best friend. I collect art by a certain artist, and have about 99% of everything he has ever had published here, so I have been shopping Yahoo and Ebay in other countries. Hard to do when you only speak/read English. I really should learn another language. Thanks again. Todd

Guest Pretender909

I'd imagine it depends on the show, and what they are willing to do. When I was a kid I used to write to baseball players and get autographs. I at one time had Hank Aaron, Johnny Bench, Brroks Robinson, and had gotten some cool flyers from the Yankees on Ruth and Gehrig. Most of the teams would send out window decals as well. It was great for a young fan. I even had Evil Knevils auotgraph at one time. I gave all these to a friend when I was no longer into baseball. A few years ago I asked if he still had them, and if he didn't want them if I could get them back. I made sure he knew if he still wanted them to keep them. He told me he threw them away years ago. Ouch!

I hear if you write to the teams now you get a price list in the mail. Jeeze. Nurture those fans.

Guest LauraKrycek
Wow, I thought everyone knew about Babelfish.  The translations are incredibly choppy and not the best, but they're definitely better than nothing.  You can at least get the gist of things.  I'm pretty good with French, but I still use it while I'm doing my homework, in case there are words I'm having trouble with (I don't own an Eng\Frn dictionary).

Konnichiwa(Hello in Japanese)! Wow se7en, I checked your collection! Those LDs are amazing, I so envy you!  :tasty: It's almost impossible for me to meet those Millenium or The X Files casts/crews, they're not walking down the streets in Japan. Where do you live, se7en?

Umm, I don't think people in Japan have as many LD players as VCRs, but it sure was a popular format. Before DVD came out, LD was supposed to be the next generation's video player. It's getting hard to find LDs now, DVDs are more popular. Last month, my family bought a DVD recorder. It was about $500. You can play/record blank DVDs, just like VCRs. But the quality is amazing, and has more capacity(no rewinding either). LD is like BETA, and DVD is like VHS.  :wink:

.......oddly enough i live in the least populated area of the least populated state in the country,"The Northeast Kingdom"-(few also call it "The Noth Country" or "Border Country")- of Vermont,in a lovely teeny-tiny town called "Coventry".

... One of our past ELDERS/ADMINS,named scott,was able to contact Sarah-Jane Redmond via e-mail,this past summer, from her show in Canada,the excellent "DA VINCI's INQUEST". i was then able to contact her and we have been in semi-contact ever since. She is a fabulous warmhearted person and she has helped point me in directions,and given me contacts,to help with my MM-BOOK efforts.  she was kind enough to autograpgh these sleeves which was a major highlight of my year i can tell you that!  :yes_big:          

~CHEERS!,

se7en

:ouro:  :santa2:

....to your knowledge,is it STILL possible to get the entire series of MM on LD NEW/USED in your average store? just curious as USED-full sets,whenever they are on ebay,often go for $1,500-$2,000!

Coventry- wasn't that the name of the British town the Germans bombed in  WW2 and the British couldn't do anything about it because it would reveal they cracked the Enigma code? I didn't know vermont also had a town named Coventry.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

• Elders (Admins)

Coventry- wasn't that the name of the British town the Germans bombed in  WW2 and the British couldn't do anything about it because it would reveal they cracked the Enigma code? I didn't know vermont also had a town named Coventry.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Yes we have a town called Coventry, I don't think its a City but I've never heard of that story before.

There is an Britsh saying "Send him/her to Coventry" which might have something to do with it though as when you say it it means "to ignore or not to speak to that person".

Interesting...

Actually Val just came in and I asked her about it - she confirms Coventry is a City, it  has a Cathedral and a University. Shows what I know! She hasn;t heard of the enigma machine aspect but says the Catherdral was bombed by the Jerry's and and only a small wall remains where thye built a new Cathedral next to it. Bet you always wanted to know that! :xmas_ouro:

Actually Val just came in and I asked her about it - she confirms Coventry is a City, it  has a Cathedral and a University. Shows what I know! She hasn;t heard of the enigma machine aspect but says the Catherdral was bombed by the Jerry's and and only a small wall remains where thye built a new Cathedral next to it. Bet you always wanted to know that! :xmas_ouro:

I'm not sure of the name of the town, but the story goes that British Intelligence had to keep mum to not give up the game they cracked the code for that month, and some said they could see the pain in Churchill's eyes when he visited said British town after it was bombed.     Where did I first hear the story was oddly enough in a story told Captain Sheridan on an episode of Babylon 5.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest Queensryche

Hi everyone! You said it almost right LauraKrycek, it's OHAYO GOZAIMASU. That's good morning. :)

Yes voidprime, Queensryche is my favorite! My favorite album is Promised Land. It's so dark but at the same time very beautiful. Did you hear their latest one, TRIBE? It's ok, Open is the best song I think. But other songs are lack of personalities.

Laura is right Pretender909, the auction will go off on December 11th. Specificly Season 2nd will finish at 8:56 PM and Season 3rd will finish at 8:01 PM. The price is still 10,000 yen(about $100), and nobody has bidded yet. Think about the time difference though, Japan is about 10 hours earlier than most US states.

Man you people have some great treasures! Autographed photos, autographed LDs...I only have the dubs of rental Millenium!  :angry_steaming_big: Well, better than nothing...

Se7en, yes it's not that difficult to find Millenium LDs in Japan, especially in big cities. New will be more difficult since LDs haven't been produced for a while(I think) but Used is pretty easy to find. And if you want VHS, then it's way easier than LDs. If you don't have money, like me, you can rent them at popular rental stores(like TSUTAYA or GEO, most of them have the entire episodes) for 100 yen($1) per video per week, and can make dubs. $1500!! That's so much!! I can do a little business then, because Japanese Yahoo Auction has them for $100. 15 times more if I sell it in US ebay? Wow.

The TV used to show Millenium a long time ago, and they showed it in Japanese. Like, the voice was dubbed. So when I rent the original ones at rental stores, the voice sounded weird! That's the natural voice but I was used to the Japanese voice.

Some of you might be annoyed by the Japanese subtitles when you get the Japanese VHSs or LDs, but hey, we don't know what they're saying without them!! Better than dubbed Japanese for you, right??

:bigsmile:

Ok, SAYONARA!

Queensryche in JAPAN

Yes voidprime, Queensryche is my favorite! My favorite album is Promised Land. It's so dark but at the same time very beautiful. Did you hear their latest one, TRIBE? It's ok, Open is the best song I think. But other songs are lack of personalities.

Ok, SAYONARA!

Queensryche in JAPAN

Promised Land was the last Queensryche album I ever listened to (haven't heard most of Q2K and haven't heard the new one).  Promised Land has some great songs on it, but Operation:Mindcrime I think is the best album they did (the only queensryche album I own on CD, traded Promised Land after recording the songs I really liked). The Operation:Livecrime concert video (now available on DVD) is great to watch.  I've seen it a few times (I once owned the vHS/cassette tape boxed set) and then got rid of it (and I should buy the DVD one of these days).

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

(who really need to see Japan one of these days to see many things including the awesome video arcades)