Gillian's new baby

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

Congrats to Gillian and her family! My son was 6lbs when born (16 weeks early) too! I cupped him in the palm of my hand and fed him milk through a tube down his nose - now he's sat next to me distracting me whilst he plays Counterstrike: Source!

Guest SouthernCelt
:Congrats: Gillian!

hey, there was a 3rd season X Files called Piper Maru. Does anyone know which came first...the baby or the episode, containing reffernce to a ship by the same name?

The episode came first I believe. I've always understood that Gillian got the name from the episode. If there are any experts on Oriental languages here, you might comment but I think "Maru" is a Japanese word connected to "ships" and "boats". In the "Star Trek" series, the "Kobiashi Maru" was a fictional starship in a difficult-to-win battle-training exercise. (Of course Capt. James T. Kirk, being the ultimate cool-guy starship captain, in his own mind anyway, beat the game.)

Guest betweenthelines

Piper Anderson was born in September of 1994. 'Piper Maru' aired in February 9th, 1996. So the episode's title is a reference to Gillian's daughter.

• 6 months later...
Guest Doll

thanks for that article. i didn't know whether gillian had a boy or a girl. i also wasn't aware that her daughters name was piper maru - I thought the only reference in x-files was her first name.

Guest Laurent.

They named the episode (and the boat therein) after Gillian's daughter because of a strange coincidence:

Her daughter's second name "Maru" is the Polynesian word for "flower" but also means "ship" in Japanese. So I guess Gillian named her child with the Polynesian meaning in mind... at least I hope she didn't name her after a boat (which are usually less cute than flowers).