It must be getting closer.

Rate this topic

Beerbelch

BEER----> Here's a little tid bit for us. Is the time now?

BELCH

Updated:2007-01-14 09:40:01

Scientists to Move Doomsday Clock Forward

Reuters

WASHINGTON (Jan. 12) - The keepers of the "Doomsday Clock" plan to move its hands forward next Wednesday to reflect what they call worsening nuclear and climate threats to the world.

End of the World as We Know It

Talk About It: Post Thoughts

The symbolic clock, maintained by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, currently is set at seven minutes to midnight, with midnight marking global catastrophe.

In a news release previewing an event next Wednesday, the group said the change was based on "worsening nuclear, climate threats" to the world.

"The major new step reflects growing concerns about a 'Second Nuclear Age' marked by grave threats, including: nuclear ambitions in Iran and North Korea , unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing 'launch-ready' status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the U.S. and Russia, escalating terrorism, and new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks," the release reads.

Most Popular - Last 24 Hours

Two Missing Boys Found Alive in Missouri HomeHard-Luck Lottery Winner Says He's BrokeIcy Weather Hits Nation's MidsectionBrightest Comet in Decades Amazes StargazersScientists Set to Move Doomsday Clock ForwardThe clock was last pushed forward by two minutes to seven minutes to midnight in 2002 amid concerns about the proliferation of nuclear, biological and other weapons and the threat of terrorism.

When it was created by the magazine's staff in 1947, it was initially set at seven minutes to midnight and has moved 17 times since then.

It was as close as two minutes to midnight in 1953 following U.S. and Soviet hydrogen bomb tests, and as far away as 17 minutes to midnight in 1991 after the superpowers reached agreement on a nuclear arms reductions.

The scarry thing is.... We'll have no warning when The Time Is Now.

All the millennia of speculation, doomsday talk, everything.... and then it'll just reach up and bite us in the ass when we least expect it.

Some dumb *bleep* will press a button somewhere, & it's Goodbye Charlie.

The scarry thing is.... We'll have no warning when The Time Is Now.

All the millennia of speculation, doomsday talk, everything.... and then it'll just reach up and bite us in the ass when we least expect it.

Some dumb *bleep* will press a button somewhere, & it's Goodbye Charlie.

Yep - Peter Watts said it in the last episode. "Our greed is only eclipsed by our tribal stupidity and our brutality. We are rushing toward an apocalypse of our own creation…Maybe not the end of the physical world but the end of a world that is worthy of human life.” It's eerie how that seems to fit....

Yep - Peter Watts said it in the last episode. "Our greed is only eclipsed by our tribal stupidity and our brutality. We are rushing toward an apocalypse of our own creation…Maybe not the end of the physical world but the end of a world that is worthy of human life.” It's eerie how that seems to fit....

Good line from a great show. Is it the roosters or the owls that are trying to bring the end? Iran would belong to the group that is trying to bring about the end. It's in their interpetation of their religion. I wonder if Israel will use tactical nukes on Iran soon?

Guest Moriarty

It must be getting closer indeed. Over here in Europe we had terrible weather yesterday. Lots of storm and heavy rain. Here in Belgium even 2 people died because of the weather. A wall came down and fell on a

Guest Moriarty

It must be getting closer indeed. Over here in Europe we had terrible weather yesterday. Lots of storm and heavy rain. Here in Belgium even 2 people died because of the weather. A wall came down and fell on a 16 year old girl who was coming back from school. In the UK, Germany and Holland there were even more deaths. I think that's terrifying. Don't know what will be the final blow for the human race: a nuclear disaster or just the nature elements that will distroy us. But the final blow is cerainly set in motion according to me...

It must be getting closer indeed. Over here in Europe we had terrible weather yesterday. Lots of storm and heavy rain. Here in Belgium even 2 people died because of the weather. A wall came down and fell on a 16 year old girl who was coming back from school. In the UK, Germany and Holland there were even more deaths. I think that's terrifying. Don't know what will be the final blow for the human race: a nuclear disaster or just the nature elements that will distroy us. But the final blow is cerainly set in motion according to me...

I saw that in the news. Horrible! Did people have any warning?

We're kinda used to ducking hurricanes and the like in the US but the weather forecasters start their predictions early making us paranoid all year.

this is very unusual for Europe isn't it?

I saw that in the news. Horrible! Did people have any warning?

We're kinda used to ducking hurricanes and the like in the US but the weather forecasters start their predictions early making us paranoid all year.

this is very unusual for Europe isn't it?

Jeremy Rifkin wrote a book called "Entropy - Into the Greenhouse Age" years ago. A friend of mine who read it went out and bought 10 more copies and gave them to his friends, (me being one of them) because the contents of the book seemed so important. This book was written in 1989, but it predicted drastic changes in the weather, owing as their cause our use of energy, and the concurrent increase in the entropy of the environment. The book felt very important - like all those in charge of energy policy must read it - but it was very depressing at the same time. It looked at the greenhouse phenomenon from a thermodynamics persective.