Wonder what brought this about?

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest Moriarty

Yeah, just read it here on one of our belgian news sites. It's a sad story which I will follow closely. Anyway, the article does not mention the who and the why. It just said that it is the biggest blood bath in American schools. There were "only" 13 deaths in Colombine High School in Colorado...

Yeah, just read it here on one of our belgian news sites. It's a sad story which I will follow closely. Anyway, the article does not mention the who and the why. It just said that it is the biggest blood bath in American schools. There were "only" 13 deaths in Colombine High School in Colorado...
Hey M....good to see you on the board...you mention Colombine, which is of course another tragedy, however, i believe that the 2nd greatest incident at an American school occurred on Aug 1st, 1966. Charles Whitman, whom it was determined in his autopsy, suffered from a brain tumor, ascended the University of Texas main building (referred to as the "tower"), and from its observation deck proceeded during the course of a bloody afternoon to kill 15 UT students and wound 31...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

now here is the question i would like to ask you all..

in this day of raging senseless violence, do incidents such as this still "pull on the heart strings" as strongly as they did 25-30 years ago? Or as a nation, as a people, have we become so entrenched in the senseless that we have become "comfortably numb"? I personally dont think that incidents like this in today's world carry as much emotional ramifications (except for the victims and their families, whose lives will forever be altered, no matter when or where a tragedy like this occurs). It seems to have become a situation where we utter our disbelief that such an incident can occur, yet, inside, we know that somewhere down the road, a much larger, more gruesome event lies in wait?

your thoughts..

4th Horseman

BEER---> Looks like the old "Love Triangle" to me. Boy meets girl, girl finds new guy, jilted one kills everybody. The count is now up to 33.

BELCH

could very well be, or since most of the carnage was in two engineering buildings, it could also be a student who felt they were unfairly treated, graded, etc...does not seem like a completely random act, there seemed to be a purpose....sad day....imagine your child going thru their first 18 years, sending off to a nice high class college and suddenly your world is turned upside down....could happen anywhere..

4th Horseman...

Guest SouthernCelt

This event is hardly a half day in the past and I'm already disgusted with the bulk of the media and their coverage. In the Va Tech press conference the press was especially crass in trying to get someone to say something that was opinion or hearsay so they could continue building their stories. (I suppose I'd never be used to make public statements to the press in such cases because about 2 minutes into that melee of rudely shouted questions, some of which were accusatory or paraphrased previous comments incorrectly, I'd declare the press conference over and tell them to submit all future questions in writing. Then I'd confine future press contact to presentation of prepared statements, no oral questions accepted.) Some internet media outlets are already soliciting comments from readers on what 'mistakes' were made and who made them.

Why can't the media just let the various investigators sort this out and get the info first to the parents/families of those who were killed or hurt? Publishing all sorts of 'eyewitness reports' and speculative opinion has to be tearing the families of students apart with dread, especially those that haven't been able to contact their student. But I guess showing some compassion isn't a trait of the media since it doesn't 'sell'.

Do I dislike the media? Well...YEAH!

Do I think we a less affectd by it today? As a whole I would have to say yes, but we are not quite Sparta yet. What I see in our culure is more and more people that are more selfish and less empathetic in general. Do these trajedies cause this, or are the trajedies a reflection of our culture? Do we care less because we see more, or because we aren't as caring ( as a culture) as we like to think people were in the past? If we ever do know why this guy went off, will it help us make more sense of it? Will it help us stop the next one?

I lived walking distance from Columbine and had two kids in nearby hightschools at the time. And recently we had a girl killed at Platte Canyon where two of my nephews graduated. It makes me less politaclly correct or tolerant of people that act in evil ways, but most people just look at me like I'm the problem when I speak up. "Who are you to judge people" is what I'm ususally told. Sigh, the world is going to hell in a P.C. handbasket.

Guest Moriarty

I do not want to offend anyone but don't you guys think that the carrying of guns is legal in the states has anything to do with it? I mean, it is a lot easier to get a gun than in any other country...

Guest SouthernCelt

No, I don't think the shooter's decision to do this had anything to do with the ease or difficulty of using a particular form of deadly force.

Guest Moriarty
No, I don't think the shooter's decision to do this had anything to do with the ease or difficulty of using a particular form of deadly force.

No, certainly not. That's not what I meant. I think I did not make myself clear on this one. Off course the triggers had nothing to do with it. What I meant is that in the states things like this can take place "easier" due to the ease that you can purchase guns. Again, this is not to offende anyone, just an observation.