Frank Blacks Style

Rate this topic

I always liked the persona that Lance developed for Frank Black. Secondly was his style. To me it seems Lance even picked out the wardrobe. "I am speculating" Frank was dressed his age. I know that Chris Carter created the Frank Black character but does anyone else here think that Lance had added the flair?

Guest ZeusFaber

Not sure what you mean by "the flair".

In any case, it's been well documented that Frank's costuming changed quite significantly in S2, so I guess it depends which style you're admiring -- the original or the restyled version.

Guest Laurent.
In any case, it's been well documented that Frank's costuming changed quite significantly in S2, so I guess it depends which style you're admiring -- the original or the restyled version.

Good point, Morgan & Wong made him more of an "ordinary" guy. Less dark, serious and "classy" and "cooler"... not sure which one I like the most though.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Not sure what you mean by "the flair".

I'm not sure which I like better.... probably about the same, but he kind of reminded me of some of his older roles, such as Bishop in S1. I guess he didn't seem quite as "stiff" (for lack of a better word) to me in S2 and even less (stiff) in S3. I think his look and his style gradually improve throughout the series. I don't think I have read anything regarding Lance's input stylewise, but he helped to create the character, so my gut feeling is that he had ideas and contributions for all aspects of the character, including wardrobe.

I thought the "Don Johnson" look Frank with the blond hair in the Selphonsophy episode was hilarious. i liked how Frank's character could be played with from time to time. Even the scene in "The Curse of Frank Black" when the kids are telling the story in the basement of the yellow house and Franks steps out is an example of the writers having some good fun with the Frank character.

Joe, do you have a mancrush on Lance?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I thought the "Don Johnson" look Frank with the blond hair in the Selphonsophy episode was hilarious. i liked how Frank's character could be played with from time to time. Even the scene in "The Curse of Frank Black" when the kids are telling the story in the basement of the yellow house and Franks steps out is an example of the writers having some good fun with the Frank character.

Joe, do you have a mancrush on Lance?

:rofl: Yep, looks like a classic case of mancrush to me. :oneeyedwinK I agree, Rocket McGrane was an example of the writers having some fun with the character as well as one of the great highlights of the series. The scene from Curse of FB was hilarious as well.

no mancrush here

i really think clothes makes the character. Frank did become more laxed but i also thought the clothing made the character just as much as Lance's acting. I know this might sound like an odd disscussion thread but i think its woth pondering and talking about

Guest F_Black

I remember noticing the wardrobe change at the time. Actually, about midway through season 2 I started really noticing the lack of henleys. I know M&W had him dress better, but I kind of liked the S1 wardrobe myself. It seemed more comfortable, not as showy, which was really what the character was all about. Remember in the S1 DVD where Chris Carter (and Lance, I believe) commented about the scene at the chalkboard, where Carter refused to let him do any gesturing with his hands while talking? That's the sort of thing I mean. He wasn't showy at all.

Guest ZeusFaber

For what it's worth, I prefer Frank's original costuming too. It tied in perfectly with the gritty realism of the show, real people doing real work. He seemed more like a father and a retired professional in S1.

When S2 gave him thinner, leather jackets, shades etc., I felt it made him more into a stereotypical TV cool dude, an aspirational figure -- not only a talented crime-fighter but a hip dresser to boot, the improbable creation of fantasy unlike the real person of S1. All symptomatic of the general rebranding of the show IMO (see also: Bobby Darin, Roedecker's gadgets, Catherine's straightened hair, gun-toting Frank quoting Taxi Driver, etc.)