It needs a Woman's Touch...?

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well I promised a dog's age ago to do a write-up of Peter Watts and his relationship with Frank for that project. One day I'll gather all my materials from all my various topics, and lay it all on Graham at once. He'll be so busy sifting through the material, I'm bound to get something through :D

Seriously, you try writing an essay about Peter and Frank over the three seasons. The volume of stuff is... well I felt like buying a camera quite frankly, and going comet watching... You just don't realise how much work went into these shows until you look closer.

It's frightening really, how well made they are.

• 1 month later...
Guest Heath328
I think they simply hired the best people available and interested at the time. I don't think there was any kind of agenda or policy towards gender.

I really don't think any of the above shows try to deliberately concern themselves with politics or equal opportunities when it comes to hiring staff writers. Telling a good story is what was important, not trying to consciously represent the world of men or women.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The moment that you start concerning yourself with hiring writers because of who they are instead of what they can do, your program will suffer.

Yes, I tend to agree as well. I know we all are more "attuned" for conspiracies, but I don't think there was really a dark conspiracy here against women. CC has always seemed to be quite forward thinking about women in general. The way he stuck by Gillian Anderson, staking the whole X Files project on having her be "his Scully" gave me the utmost respect for him.

I think the problem is, there just simply aren't enough women writers available, so the odds aren't as good for getting women writers who want to do Sci-Fi or a crime drama/horror show like Millennium.

Guest Heath328
Yes, I tend to agree as well. I know we all are more "attuned" for conspiracies, but I don't think there was really a dark conspiracy here against women. CC has always seemed to be quite forward thinking about women in general. The way he stuck by Gillian Anderson, staking the whole X Files project on having her be "his Scully" gave me the utmost respect for him.

I think the problem is, there just simply aren't enough women writers available, so the odds aren't as good for getting women writers who want to do Sci-Fi or a crime drama/horror show like Millennium.

Good points all the way around.

I always felt that Dana Scully, Katherine Black, Emma Hollis and Lara Means were treated with the utmost respect by the other characters in "The X-Files" and "Millennium." That's not an accident.

I'm just going to add that I agree with everyone who is agreeing with everyone else and it feels quite nice to be doing so. With no form of hard evidence I can only base my assumptions on logic which dictates that Chris Carter would have plucked the best from what was offered regardless of the personal characteristics of the people who penned them.

I have to confess that 'All Things', in my opinion, is a truly stunning piece of television. Gillian treats the mystical narrative of this episode with a nebulous, ethereal, softness and a gently ambiguity. It is a considered work, slow and unassuming but clearly marks her out as writer who personally understands the arcane instead of having knowledge of it through research. Rather than be a poor review of a superb episode I just wanted to note that Chris Carter sure knew how to spot a damn fine fable whether it came from the pen of man or woman.

WOO-HOO! Another "All Things" appreciator!!! This is one of my favorite episodes!!! It struck such a personal chord with me when I first saw it....and even know I watch it when I'm feeling at a loss, and in need of something to inspire me and remind me that "Everything happens for a reason".

• 4 weeks later...
Guest peas_and_corn

Another "all things" appreciator here :) I personally would love to read the full length script that she wrote; according to the commentary she did, the first act was about 75 pages! But as has been said before the direction of any show and the quality of its scripts should really be made on the basis of what gets created, not of the gender- male or female. I quite liked TXF's characterisation, esp Scully in s8.

And I liked 'The Rain King' :(