Floyd Red Crow Westerman RIP

Rate this topic

Libby

• Elders (Moderators)

Floyd Red Crow Westerman was best known to X-Files fans as Albert Hosteen, but he also appeared in "A Single Blade of Grass".

IMDB describes him as a renowned American Indian activist-singer-songwriter and report that he died of complications from leukemia.

Guest SouthernCelt

Yes, he will be missed. He had appeared in so many things over the years basically playing himself that I'll still expect to see him whenever the plot calls for an older, wise Native American to keep those rash "white-eyes" straight.

Although it may not be appropriate to go into this here, the cause of his death, complications from leukemia, makes me wonder if Native Americans have a genetic predisposition to developing such blood cancers later in life. My Anderson family line has a NA bloodline from back several generations and my father died of complications from leukemia as well. In fact several of my Anderson line have succumbed to or had their health severely damaged by blood diseases in various forms. When I have time (maybe after I retire, if that ever happens) I may do an internet search for medical studies on Native Americans. Sorry to ramble on...