Is man creating his own destruction?

Rate this topic

Guest Sheree Dawn

Guest Sheree Dawn

I just got through watching a very very old movie; it was in black and white. It was called Tarantula. Anyone remember it? I first saw it on Shock Theater when I was but a wee thing. Scared the crap out of me then and hilarious to me now; I kept cursing at the idiots who didn't have the sense to run from this thing...

But to sum it up for those who aren't familiar with the flick, a scientist developed a serum to speed growth of animals. It was ultimately designed to increase food supply. Still in its' experimental stages, but the doc and a few of his pals were injected too. Death came within 4 days for humans. But in the midst of a struggle, a tarantula got loose than had been genetically altered. It was 100 times the size of the largest tarantula on record. It would leave pools of venom behind that would span 4-5 feet wide and it would leave behind only the bones of its' prey. Pretty far fetched, or is it?

Think of what scientists are trying to do now with stem cells and cloning. These are still relatively new, at least as far as the public is concerned in so far as that they are still experimenting with animals and such. And while we hear success stories about cloned animals, what about the mistakes and abhorations that we will never hear about?

How close could we come to destroying ourselves through our own scientific experimentation

Guest SouthernCelt

History is full of bad judgements that had their beginnings as a scientific solution to a problem. In the deep South, the most obvious is kudzu. Originally imported from the Orient as a solution to two problems back in the Dust Bowl/drought era, it was though it would help stop erosion because of its rapid spreading and root system and would make an alternative pasture food for cattle when conditions caused the grass to be depleted. Of course the quick growing nature of the plant meant it has taken over in areas where there is no focused eradication program, plus cattle will eat it but not when they can get grass. It's now a common sight in Mississippi to see power poles and trees covered from ground to top in lush kudzu vines. The trees usually succumb to having their sunlight blocked by the kudzu.

There are all kinds of jokes that have arisen about kudzu such as:

How do you assure a new kudzu planting is properly done?

Plant one rooted crown, fertilize heavily with any typical motor oil (so the fast growing vines won't be abraded by the soil) and mulch heavily with concrete blocks (use blocks you don't mind losing since after a year you'll never find them again).

The cutting edge science to which you refer has been the impetus for any number of fictional works (hopefully they're fiction) including Next by Michael Crichton and a bunch of movies, some good, some not-so-good.

I just got through watching a very very old movie; it was in black and white. It was called Tarantula. Anyone remember it? I first saw it on Shock Theater when I was but a wee thing. Scared the crap out of me then and hilarious to me now; I kept cursing at the idiots who didn't have the sense to run from this thing...

But to sum it up for those who aren't familiar with the flick, a scientist developed a serum to speed growth of animals. It was ultimately designed to increase food supply. Still in its' experimental stages, but the doc and a few of his pals were injected too. Death came within 4 days for humans. But in the midst of a struggle, a tarantula got loose than had been genetically altered. It was 100 times the size of the largest tarantula on record. It would leave pools of venom behind that would span 4-5 feet wide and it would leave behind only the bones of its' prey. Pretty far fetched, or is it?

Think of what scientists are trying to do now with stem cells and cloning. These are still relatively new, at least as far as the public is concerned in so far as that they are still experimenting with animals and such. And while we hear success stories about cloned animals, what about the mistakes and abhorations that we will never hear about?

How close could we come to destroying ourselves through our own scientific experimentation

Hi All,

I really am restraining my thoughts here as I am terribly biased being from a science based discipline and my intention is not to enforce any paradigm on anyone. One argument often expressed is "I take it since medical experimentation is the bane of humanity and the precursor to its end that you will not be indulging in any of the medical treatments derived from stem cell research should you find yourself unable to move, swallow, speak or such like?"

In addition, given that a vast portion of the Pharmacologists materia medica in use today is derived from research conducted by Nazi scientists would it also be fair to assume that people should shun surgery, antibiotics, analgesia and cytotoxic drugs? And given that members of the scientific community cannot fart these days without it ending up on the front pages or one of countless conspiracy sites would it be fair to assume that we don't hear of the many abhorations because they don't exist?

Science is not Mary-Shelley-Esque Frankenstein and despite my real empathy with peoples misgivings Scientists are often seeking only to better the human condition. I didn't spend six years at Medical School for any reason other than to make people well and if I bugger about with a few plankton then you can bet your last pound it is only because I think I can make our children's health and longevity a little easier than our own.

I agree that Science makes mistakes, they are well documented, but do not forget it successes. Every aspect of your life is tinged by scientific success and there aren't many seven headed people about to show for it and ultimately if your loved ones are on the brink of death any quaint, social, regional or philosophical objections to science are going to fly out of the window if I'm holding the cure.

Till then..."It's Alive"

Love and Mutants,

Eth

We've had a pretty good run, but if humans were to shuffle off the old Earth, would the Earth be hurt by our departure? I think she would take a nice big breath of fresh unpolluted air, keep spinning and maybe laugh at how important we thought we were in the scope of the universe. Maybe bumblebees will fare better, although if you put three of them in a room, will two of them team up and find a reason to exploit and/or kill the third?Such a wonderful species we are......

Hi All,

I really am restraining my thoughts here as I am terribly biased being from a science based discipline and my intention is not to enforce any paradigm on anyone. One argument often expressed is "I take it since medical experimentation is the bane of humanity and the precursor to its end that you will not be indulging in any of the medical treatments derived from stem cell research should you find yourself unable to move, swallow, speak or such like?"

In addition, given that a vast portion of the Pharmacologists materia medica in use today is derived from research conducted by Nazi scientists would it also be fair to assume that people should shun surgery, antibiotics, analgesia and cytotoxic drugs? And given that members of the scientific community cannot fart these days without it ending up on the front pages or one of countless conspiracy sites would it be fair to assume that we don't hear of the many abhorations because they don't exist?

Science is not Mary-Shelley-Esque Frankenstein and despite my real empathy with peoples misgivings Scientists are often seeking only to better the human condition. I didn't spend six years at Medical School for any reason other than to make people well and if I bugger about with a few plankton then you can bet your last pound it is only because I think I can make our children's health and longevity a little easier than our own.

I agree that Science makes mistakes, they are well documented, but do not forget it successes. Every aspect of your life is tinged by scientific success and there aren't many seven headed people about to show for it and ultimately if your loved ones are on the brink of death any quaint, social, regional or philosophical objections to science are going to fly out of the window if I'm holding the cure.

Till then..."It's Alive"

Love and Mutants,

Eth

you know Eth...you make some awesome and salient points. In a strangely similar way, i harbor a lot of similar feelings concerning religion that mirror your passion for science. I have had countless discussions with others who enjoy always bringing up the "bad seeds" who have shamed and disgraced themselves over power, sex or some other vice. These people seem to take joy in extrapolating that because this one individual is "bad", then all religion must be "bad" as well..it becomes an overall judgement of religion itself. In response, i tell them that i still go to my doctor when i am sick even though there are countless "quacks" who should not be practicing medicine. My point is, just because there are preachers, religious leaders, etc, who have disgraced the church with their own personal vices, whether it be lust, greed, sex, or child molestation as in the priesthood, does that necessarily negate the essence of religion? I think not...

4th Horseman

I couldn't agree with you more my friend. Be it philosophy, religion, science, the arts and so on those who comprise these various modalities will be representative of every facet of the human condition and the bad within should not be allowed to create a consensus about the whole. If a Priest, or Scientist, should stray from the intentions of their practice they should be held accountable as an invidual not as a representative of their respective field. I do feel quite lucky in that science and faith exist very harmoniously in my life, I feel no desire to see either be considered prominent. Many of the most profound Scientific minds of modern times were also deeply devout and a hefty portion of them were inspired by Religious observations to seek answers to some of the mystifying conditions of the time.

I think there's room for both Owls and Roosters in all our lives,

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Sheree Dawn
History is full of bad judgements that had their beginnings as a scientific solution to a problem. In the deep South, the most obvious is kudzu.

I know some folks out in Graham county who moved from their dirt floor shack (not kidding about this, even in the 21st century) to a mobile home. The just abandoned the house. Within a year, kudzu has taken over the house to the point that the only time you can actually tell there is a house there is when the vines are brown and appear to be dead.

Guest Sheree Dawn
Frank Black might say that science is a blessing and a curse.

Frank would be correct. I seen people whose lives have been saved by scientifict experimentation. I mean think of it, how did they come up with insulin for diabetics? I just worry about the elite few scientists that would develop a GOD complex, even if their hearts are in the right place.