Millennium Podcast anyone?

Rate this topic

Guest Jim McLean

Not been able to glean any info as the site I work for that does podcasts is down for maintenance - but I think this is something that shouldn't be over planned. In my experience if we get too careful and technical, the idea goes by the wayside. Best to leap on the enthusiasm, and get it rolling.

I would perhaps recommend something simple, a group conference with one recording and hosting, perhaps running a fan commentary on an episode - I think that would be fun, could allow a group to participate and give us an idea of the pitfalls before trying anything more structured. I'd love to participate in a fan commentary with old Eth - that I think would be interesting.

Edited by Jim McLean

Greetings all,

I too would very much enjoy a chance to share banter with Laredo though I fear whilst he is running salient point after salient point about storytelling I would be religated to chuntering away about 'Old Moore's Almanac' and 'Olmec Mythology'.

Could I enquire if such a thing would require the much talked about Skye? It is something I know virtually nothing about but am aware of through others and if it does could I be warned in order that I can bring myself up to speed with it.

Ken, as we are taking our lead from you do you agree with Graham's suggestion that when serious planning of content begins we need to move this to a password protected forum? The other, wonderful projects that are taking place right now are utilising this tool as it allows us to keep the projects spoiler free.

Best wishes,

Eth

Laredo would it be cheeky to ask for a link to the podcast your site produces. Whilst I appreciate it is not currently available I am trying to listen to a wise range of them in order to gain ideas.

Guest Jim McLean
Greetings all,

I too would very much enjoy a chance to share banter with Laredo though I fear whilst he is running salient point after salient point about storytelling I would be religated to chuntering away about 'Old Moore's Almanac' and 'Olmec Mythology'.

Doesn't sound too bad if we got a few more people on board. I think a fan commentary would be a very practical testing ground for a podcast given it requires no format, no special gimmicks and gives us an easy route into working together.

Could I enquire if such a thing would require the much talked about Skye? It is something I know virtually nothing about but am aware of through others and if it does could I be warned in order that I can bring myself up to speed with it.

The people I work with, if I recall, use Skype - the run a conference on Skype with one running as host able to record the event. Skype is free to download, as easy to install as messenger and allows voice conversations as a group or as pairs free of charge with little delay for long distances.

Here's a skype podcast how to list - again, this would only be relevant to the host recording, in theory the rest would simply require skype to make the connection: https://www.thinkvitamin.com/features/blogs...ting-with-skype

Again, for yourself Eth, you'd just need to download Skype and use it as messenger. The host would do the techie bits.

Ken, as we are taking our lead from you do you agree with Graham's suggestion that when serious planning of content begins we need to move this to a password protected forum? The other, wonderful projects that are taking place right now are utilising this tool as it allows us to keep the projects spoiler free.

Best wishes,

Eth

Laredo would it be cheeky to ask for a link to the podcast your site produces. Whilst I appreciate it is not currently available I am trying to listen to a wise range of them in order to gain ideas.

The sites down at the moment - I'll PM you a link and if we get a closed forum we can discuss it there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim McLean

In lieu of the quiet time on this topic, I think I might try a straight fan commentary via my Mac. Why? I don't know. Just curious to see if I have as much to say as I think I do!

Gor for it 'L',

Unless Ken is away on holiday it may be that this is something we need to push forward on our own? I don't know if you are still interested in contributing to a group commentary but it is certainly something I would like to have a bash at.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Jim McLean
Gor for it 'L',

Unless Ken is away on holiday it may be that this is something we need to push forward on our own? I don't know if you are still interested in contributing to a group commentary but it is certainly something I would like to have a bash at.

Best wishes,

Eth

Same here. We just need someone who can set up their computer as a skype hub. If I get time, I might look to see if I can use my PC as a skype hub and run my audio through the mac. I've never tried to actually set Skype to record other voices coming through the net as well as what's coming through a mic.

Same here. We just need someone who can set up their computer as a skype hub. If I get time, I might look to see if I can use my PC as a skype hub and run my audio through the mac. I've never tried to actually set Skype to record other voices coming through the net as well as what's coming through a mic.

hi, you are correct I am on holiday :) back tomorrow

quick word on the skype thing, I have a clever bit of software that will assist with the recording process, however itonly works on a pc.

I think that a fan commentary, however I don't think it is the best idea to only do a commentary per episode. I also think that we should limit the amount of people 'on the mic' per segment, some other casts have tried with lots of people and it's hugly confusing for the listener.

anyway, I'm off to bed, plus I'm typing this on my phone, so please excuse my semantical flip-flops on this post :) speak tomorrow

Guest Jim McLean

I don't think we should do a fan commentary per episode - I just think a commentary is an easy format to test the podcast medium. We don't require material beyond a chosen episode - so it make sit easier to put together. I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing us waffle for 3 seasons!

Guest redbaz
I don't think we should do a fan commentary per episode - I just think a commentary is an easy format to test the podcast medium. We don't require material beyond a chosen episode - so it make sit easier to put together. I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing us waffle for 3 seasons!

hi all

You can use the Pamela utility to record conversations from Skype, I use it for conducting interviews. You can then save it as an mp3.

Having fan commentaries can be good but there are a few fan podcasts that i listen too where they are either too messy with sound levels or with too much overlap, or the other extreme, too rigid, trying too hard to sound professional but making it a chore to listen to. i'd suggest getting a few people who are in reasonable proximity together to get together in one room and do a group commentary. more natural and organic, then build up the program with features etc.

some i listen to:

https://www.babylonpodcast.com/

https://www.theforce.net/podcast/default.asp

https://signal.serenityfirefly.com/

https://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast.php

I think the 'one room' idea (unless you mean metaphorically) would be hard to achieve. Whilst it seems the four of us chatting about this are all UK residents I don't know how far we are scattered across the land? I listen to the odd Who and Torchwood cast and many of them have distance contributors without any seeming loss of quality.

What do others think?