SPOILER: Review of IWTB

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

https://www.dvdrama.com/news-28011-cine-x-f...egeneration.php

Very spoilerish damn it! I've read it all! But I won't give it to you:

- Takes its time to present the two heroes again, rhythm and action only pick up towards then end.

- Lack of ambition and power, no originality compared to the series neither in directing nor themes. Like a classic stand-alone episode stretched to a feature-length film.

- Made so that newcomers are introduced to the world of the X-Files rather than for hardcore fans.

- Timid effort to resurrect the franchise, rather good summer entertainment.

- Let's hope this launches the franchise for the real good stuff with the next films.

In short, like the filmsactu review.

Guest Laurent.

Thanks again for the summary Oro, you sacrificed yourself to the spoilers for us, it honors you.

But to clarify the comment of the other review on the direction, here's an "exact" translation:

It's surprising to see how Chris Carter favored the maturity of his work and the evolution of his universe into a defeatist, realistic one after such a long wait, it's light years away from the geeky gift that was the first movie. The segmentation of the film is banned here [...] it's thoughtful (or 'based on meaning') film making.

This part is actually very positive. I don't understand the low note he gave it... the review is quite good.

Guys thank you so much for putting spoiler tags! I have such a big temptation now to read all the reviews but your tags are helping me to fight with it. :)

I'm so afraid I'm gonna loose control and read some spoilers. :death:

OK I couldn't resist and read just this thing:

Hope Rob Bowman does not read that. IWTB is Carter's big-screen directorial debut and Bowman even had a lot more experience as a tv show director before directing FTF.I'm very glad to hear CC did well. Thank you a lot for the spoiler-less summary Oro!!

If this journalist really thinks that way about Bowman's directing it means for me that he is really stupid. :censored: Another reason to hate movie critics lol

Don't get downhearted guys we will soon have the chance to give this movie the only review that matters, our own.

Best wishes,

Eth

I totally agree!

Guest Laurent.

Range from decent to bad. Nothing too promising though.

.... imagine if they took the secrecy to another level and premiered a false movie to the critics to be sure that nothing was leaked. Maybe the movie we'll get to see next week is amazing.

Haha I guess I just wanted this one to be really good. Duchovny said the secrecy was mainly because some elements of the plot are really clever.. yet critics described the plot as cheap and unoriginal... I hope this does not turn out to be another Indy IV, made for the fun of it and without substance.

Guest Laurent.

But I was just thinking:

we've got two or three reviews only right now. Critics who hurried to post their review were probably the ones ready to dismiss the movie just because it's based on a tv show and an old pop phenomenon. Some serious French media will probably post better written (with precise arguments) critic before the American press get to see the movie on Wednesday. We'll all forget about the first three bad reviews if the next ones are better. And then it'll be our turn to make up our minds on the movie.

Guest Laurent.

I checked the "very spoilerish" review that Oro summarized (I only read it for like 5 seconds!) and I saw that with his final note

(6/10)

the reviewer left this general comment:

If Chris Carter did achieve his objectives, it just so happens that they're not necessarily those of the fans. Successful, but not like we would have liked, we just have to wait another... 5, 6 years?

That's good enough for me. Now if I don't like the movie, I'll blame it on Carter's vision of the "regenerated" X-Files.

edit: A comment that I like a lot in the filmsactu review even though it is written as a negative point:

At the end, we're left a bit too much in introspection to let the magic in.

After 3 review, average score is:

29/60