I Want To Believe - United Kingdom Promotion

Rate this topic

Glad you enjoyed it Graham,

If you access the red button extras on Sky News today the showbiz feed is running a promotional spot for XF2. There is footage of David and Gillian from the Première interspersed with scenes from the movie and quite an enjoyable little spot it is too.

Best wishes,

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Eth,

I have the DD Q&A program recorded onto DVD. I have tried 6 times to encode it but am having problems, sorry for the delay.

With DivX I got no video and a 10MB file! With XVid I get great video quality, a 75MB file (for 1st of the program) but garbled sound.

I'll keep trying but I'm working this afternoon from 3pm to 11pm then 6.30 to 3pm tomorrow so it will be delayed.

The interview was very good though, recommended when you get to see it.

Graham

Guest Laurent.

Hey guys, sorry to bring some french blood in your british discussion (I wish I could hear your accent in your post... I think it sounds great haha!)

I wanted to know what is the feel of the promotion in the U.K.? Is it being promoted as a dark horror movie? a thriller? a police suspense movie?

In Québec, it feels very different than what I got through the posters, teasers, etc of the states. In the newspaper, their using a picture of Mulder and Scully in close-up instead of the teaser or theatrical posters. And on the add, you can read:

Reunited again. For Duchovny and Anderson, these roles are their own. They still love each other, while believing that their couple and work can not go together. Or should we say that they want to believe?

And I just realized they made a mistake in the last line.... That's awful. I hate bad grammar in any professional work.

Anyway, sounds more like a love story right?

In the theater, it's categorized as a police suspense.

Hi Laran,

I don't believe I would be misrepresenting the UK by stating that we haven't had much promotion as such. As you can see from the thread both Gillian and David have made appearances on UK television but both did so very close to the opening night of the Movie so much of the hype, if such a word is applicable, was generated the weekend previous to their appearances with reviews of the film in most of the major tabloids. The tabloids did a fine job of reviewing the film as none were overtly harsh or spoiler laden yet all seemed to describe this film as a 'FBI procedural movie' and commented on the lack of supernatural phenomena associated with the franchise. As quite a number of the reviews compared the plot to CSI fare it is probably safe to assume that that is how this is being received here rather than a dark thriller or horror offering. Can I also add that the reviews here have nearly all been positive awarding the Movie three out of five stars on average. The worst I read came from my own local rag 'The Sheffield Star' but its main irk seems to be that the film lacked that quintessential something I know reviewers here have commented on so I thought it a fair review if not a great one.

I must add in reply to Graham that I have been struggling, nay fighting, with my rip of Richard and Judy since it aired. In each and every encoding the audio is atrocious which is highly unusual as I am more than competent at the technique. I reckon something nefarious has been added to the broadcast stream akin to 'Kill Switch' or something as this is ridiculous.

Best wishes,

Eth

PS Methinks Laran you may be a little disappointed by our accents. As I am a Yorkshireman my own accent is decidedly unlike RP British which is the accent most commonly associated with with the Isle overseas and my own accent was once only heard on British screens when shows featured nitwits, old men with whippets and nowadays incestious, thieving, drunken ne'er-do-wells on 'Emmerdale'. Assuming Graham is Welsh his own accent is even more distinct. Come to think of it I can't remember an overseas show that ever featured a Welsh accent so unless you guys have Torchwood imports you might never have heard it. It's a damn sexy accent as it happens and I have a huge Eve Myles crush who, frankly fellas, has 'got it all'.

• Elders (Admins)

LOL! That may be true about the Killswitch! I'll try again though.

BTW, no although I was born in Wales, I don't have a Welsh accent and I can't speak Welsh apart from a few words and sentences!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Sincere apologies for not getting this last interview online yet as promised. I'll have to get back to trying to convert it again. Its not normally a problem, but for some reason the sound is still messed up. Its quite possible its already been posted and shared online by now.

• Elders (Admins)

Okay, I had another go using a different program and its worked out fine this time. I'll upload the 2x70MB files now.

Its a good interview which I'm sure many will enjoy, certainly the best I've seen for this promotion in the UK. The others seemed to border on the farcical.

Q & A with David Duchovny on 1/08/08

David Duchovney Interview Part 1 (10Mins) Size:70MB

Codec: Requires the free DivX codec to be installed to view in Windows Media Player (or equivalent), if you don't have it installed already.

David Duchovney Interview Part 2.avi

(11 Mins) Size:74MB

Edited by The Old Man
2nd Video link added.