XF:IWTB analysis (contains spoilers)

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

I have seen how Carter uses Heaven & Hell references in both X-Files and MillenniuM. I found in the Hospital scenes how the atmosphere was dark and heavy. The actor that protrayed the Priest w/big-ears looked evil himself. Sometimes Carters stories are blurred and its hard to see who are the good guys and the bad guys. Thats what i liked about this movie

• Elders (Moderators)

Hi guys,

all I can say at this point: saw the movie last night, and liked it a lot! I'm so glad that they hadn't made it "too easy", that there's so much to ponder upon and go back to.

What a great discussion you have here, btw! :rock2:

Guest Laurent.

On another thread, I speculated about an explanation or a meaning for Father Joe's bleeding eyes:

my best guess is that their is some symbolism to it. Maybe a link to stigmata. Or it's just to show that their is indeed a paranormal force at work.

Anyone has a better opinion?

Guest Frank L.
If i remember correctly blood from the stigmata means it is "Jesus Blood" or its just a very holy happening. I believe Father Joes visions are from GOD, thats why he experience a stigmata.

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but Mulder doesn't mention this anywhere in the movie. There is no reference back to the bleeding eyes. He surely would have mentioned it, if he thought Father Joe was actually the real deal and getting visions from God.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

In the review of IWTB published in my local newspaper, the critic (who liked the film a lot) thought that Carter went a bit too deep in the "pond of devils" to get the worst human monsters imaginable. He especially hated the fact that we get to hear a self-justification argument from Father Joe and that Mulder is so quickly ready to trust him. Personally, the "self-justification" sequence of Father Joe with Scully is my favorite scene in the movie!

What did you guys think about this particular scene?

Father Joe: And where do they come from, then, these sickening appetites of ours?

Dana Scully: Not from God!

Father Joe: Well not from me!

Laran, I really enjoyed your analysis!!! It just shows that this movie is very deep and thought-provoking and some critics (well, most of them) are stupid!

There are so many things I want to add but I'm too tired now so I just want to tell about my idea of Father Joe's bleeding eyes. I think CC and FS just wanted to show that there's a deep connection between Father Joe and that creepy dying Russian gay guy. In some scene we can see that Russian guy has bleeding eyes, too. And Father Joe and Russian Guy had seizures at the same time. And I think Father Joe could see only those things that dying Russian Guy saw. So the idea was to show a deep connection between Father Joe and his victim (Russian Guy).

By the way, Russian guys' names are Franz and Janke. Franz and Janke are not Russian names at all, we just don't have names like these. :) These names sound more Polish or Eastern Europish. I don't know why CC and FS decided to give non-Russian names to Russian characters. It seemed quite odd for the Russian fans. :)

Guest Laurent.
Laran, I really enjoyed your analysis!!! It just shows that this movie is very deep and thought-provoking and some critics (well, most of them) are stupid!

Well, thanks a lot blackoil!

There are so many things I want to add but I'm too tired now so I just want to tell about my idea of Father Joe's bleeding eyes. I think CC and FS just wanted to show that there's a deep connection between Father Joe and that creepy dying Russian gay guy. In some scene we can see that Russian guy has bleeding eyes, too. And Father Joe and Russian Guy had seizures at the same time. And I think Father Joe could see only those things that dying Russian Guy saw. So the idea was to show a deep connection between Father Joe and his victim (Russian Guy).

Wow! Great interpretation. This adds a lot more to the ambivalence of the plot (paranormal vs science vs religion). The bleeding eyes are clearly out of science's realm, but I'm happy to see that there is another interpretation possible aside from the religious symbolism of blood.

By the way, Russian guys' names are Franz and Janke. Franz and Janke are not Russian names at all, we just don't have names like these. :) These names sound more Polish or Eastern Europish. I don't know why CC and FS decided to give non-Russian names to Russian characters. It seemed quite odd for the Russian fans. :)

By the way, what were they saying when they spoke in Russian? There were no subtitles in the original version. But I guess if you saw the Russian version, you won't know what I'm talking about....

By the way, what were they saying when they spoke in Russian? There were no subtitles in the original version. But I guess if you saw the Russian version, you won't know what I'm talking about....

This is actually quite funny because in Russian version of the movie all English words were dubbed in Russian (so Russian viewers could understand it) -- and to avoid confusion all Russian words (spoked by gay guys and Doctor Uroff-Koltoff and his assistants) were dubbed in some non-existent language. Believe me it sounded REALLY stupid. LOL I watched the movie 6 times and me and my x-phile friends laugh every time Janke or Dr. Uroff-Koltoff were speaking their words. :)

But I can answer your question. ;) People who saw bootleg version of IWTB (in English) told me what Russians are saying. Dr. Uroff-Koltoff and his assistant say to that girl (second victim) that she is freezing, afraid and she wants to eat (or something like that). Then they transport her to a surgery room so she could get warm and she sees Franz Tomczeszyn with bleeding eyes. Then Janke says to Dr. Uroff-Koltoff that the surgical operation should be performed today ("sevodnya, sevodnya," he repeats). When Mulder intrudes Russians' base, Dr. Uroff-Koltoff says to Janke that he should check out backyard (or something like that). Mulder intrudes in the labaratory (operation room) and Dr. Uroff-Koltoff says that they have a work to do and when Janke beats Mulder he says to him "have a rest" ("otdohni"). That's all I can remember now. :)

Edited by Blackoil