XF:IWTB analysis (contains spoilers)

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

A short and sweet analysis by Mr. Spotnitz himself:

Q:The journey that Scully took over the course of the film seemed like the same journey she took over the course of the series, which was nice to see again.

A: It's so complicated. There were so many problems we had to address, and not many people have talked about it. Mulder believes his sister is dead, so we needed to know what drives him now. Scully has gone from being a skeptic to a believer, so where would she be now? We had to consider an awful lot in order to be true to the characters, which is that Mulder always needs to save the girl. Is he being misguided and allowing himself to be manipulated?

What I love about Scully's storyline is the question of whether or not she is right to want to treat this boy. I can't tell you the answer, and no one can. The priest is completely reasonable to want the child to go to a hospice to die. It's a practical suggestion. Scully is wrestling with her own issues, and whether she is attaching herself neurotically to this child because of the loss of her son.

And then there is this pedophile priest, who would be natural for Scully to be skeptical of, even after all she's seen. And then the priest says to her not to give up, and it plays off her own wants and desires.

That's what is so rich to me about the movie, and the fans picked up on this even though a lot of critics didn't. The movie is designed to service Mulder and Scully in a very real and adult way. These people have dealt with loss all their lives, and this case really presses all their buttons in a really elegant way, not to pat myself on the back. Each of those investigations deals with their own ghosts, and in the end the two paths are, in fact, one.

The entire interview can be found here. It's mostly about the X-Files comic books.

• 2 weeks later...
On another thread, I speculated about an explanation or a meaning for Father Joe's bleeding eyes:

Anyone has a better opinion?

Not better...

but the opening intro of American Gothic had a bleeding eyes scene. Any idea where they got it?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

I posted a music video for IWTB right here.

While watching it, I realized how the colors for the different scenes seemed to be really carefully chosen; notice how pretty much everything is cold and blue (even the police lights are blue and white, instead of the usual red/blue combination.. like in Spotnitz's Night Stalker)!! Except for two places: Mulder and Scully's home and the sex offenders barracks interior!

I still don't have a clear idea on why those two; it could be because they are the only characters who aren't giving up; M&S on their beliefs and Father Joe is fighting for redemption. The bad guys are not giving up either.. so I'm a bit confused here. The colors also parallel the presence of snow on which I commented earlier in my analysis. It could be another hint at Dante's inferno's cold inner rings.

Another thing I'd like some input about: what is going on with all the animals (black dogs and crows) around the russian guy's truck in the Nutter Feed Store scene.

Anyone has some ideas they'd like to share?

Nice observations, Laurent!

Another thing I'd like some input about: what is going on with all the animals (black dogs and crows) around the russian guy's truck in the Nutter Feed Store scene.

I am curious about it, too. Maybe dogs kinda "felt" that Russians experimented on other dogs? LOL yeah, stupid idea. :doh:

Edited by Blackoil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

I don't know why I missed your post the first time around....

Anyway, the link between the dogs and the experiments was my first thought as well! But that does not really explain their presence (which feels stronger every time I watch the movie... for example, there are omnipresent dogs barking after the second victims has been kidnapped from her car... even though dogs are nowhere to be found in the empty field)...

It may be a link to another symbolic, be it religious or not. The animals are pretty much all black so that must bear some meaning, or it is just a strange coincidence.. I hope more knowledgeable fans will be able to shed some light on it!

P.S. Every time I think about the animal presence in IWTB, my train of thoughts derails toward Children Of Men, where the even more omnipresent animals were representative of nature's revenge on human kind, and animal life taking over the earth while the human civilization fall.

for example, there are omnipresent dogs barking after the second victims has been kidnapped from her car... even though dogs are nowhere to be found in the empty field)...

I've noticed it, too! At first I thought it was wolfs LOL But after second viewing it was obvious for me it was a dog's barking. It can't be just a coincidence.

Maybe CC or FS will tell something about it in a DVD commentary?

Edited by Blackoil

• 1 month later...

I've already read it on XFU forum. I said it there and I'll say it here: this is one of the most amazing and comrehensive reviews I've read so far. Although I don't agree with some things (well, I simply LOVE IWTB LOL) it's always great to read thoughtful and objective review. ;)

Give that man a cigar - or whatever the expression may be - that is a superb piece of work. The best review of the film I have read any where. If Oro doesn't work in entertainment review media then someone ought to give him a job.

Fascinating stuff,

Eth