Ebert & Roeper's Review

Rate this topic

Objective achieved then. Consider yourself on the receiving end of that great tradition of British Innuendo. Here's hoping the thread will move on to more cerebral considerations but it's devilish fun to post a smiley every now and again.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest betweenthelines

Michael Phillips is a dolt. He was right in stating that Carter didn't properly take care of the story (I thought some areas needed work) but to complain about lack of aliens? GA, DD, and CC have made it quite clear that this new film had nothing to do with the show's conspiracy subplot. You think he would've known that already. And his "you're wrong" statement delivered to Roeper was obnoxious.

BTL...how have you been? Good to see you again....i have posted earlier that if this movie was indeed intended to be a "stand alone" episode exclusive of any mytharc of the origional series, then they should have advertised the movie as such. Joe was right, there should NEVER have been any mention of X-Files in the campaign...The first time i saw the initial advert with Scully and Mulder's shadow forming the huge X, i immediately began to wonder how it would parallel the origional series, EVEN KNOWING IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A STAND ALONE..you cant advertise one way and claim its intended to be exactly the opposite..some critics may have paid more attention than others, but i think the advertising has misled a lot of people, critics, general public into an unfair comparison...

just my opinion..

4th Horseman...

I absolutely agree with 4th on this. Despite still waiting to see this all my chums immediately assumed that this movie would be grey aliens, back oil and cigarette smoking baddies. The X-Files moniker cannot be easily divorced from this thematic. I do wonder though had his movie been presented under the auspices of it's subtitle would the same assumption not have been made the moment the words Mulder and Scully and were uttered? Is there any possibility no matter how scant that the mantra of Mulder and Scully wouldn't immediately suggest extraterrestrial intrigue and governmental plots.

Maybe a Millennium Movie would actually benefit from its lack of popularity as it seems that XF2 is labouring under the shadow of its success. In being a firmly established part of the pop-cultural Zeitgeist of the nineties it seems the viewing public is proffering negative opinions of this movie for not delivering all the cliches the franchise once did. It's interesting that the review The Old Man shared damns the movie for, amongst other things, not giving us the grey aliens and cigarette smokers of old. I wonder if the belief that this movie ever could divorce itself from the franchise was mistaken and in light of the poor response would it not have been better to simply fan-w*nk (as whovians refer to fan pleasing narratives) the Philes into a frenzy. It could be a case of trying to be all things to all people without successfully wowing anyone.

Best wishes,

Eth