The Red And The Black

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

Guest lilblackgirl

I just watched this for the first time this weekend and it's always interesting to see where Mulder came from and the way Chris portrays him in his "earlier years" prior to heading up the XF. In this ep, youth was portrayed by Mulder constantly playing with his hair. What caught me about this ep was that Mulder was wearing a wedding ring. I believe you only caught it in one scene, but was there ever anything said about him being married or is it ever discussed in the show? I know they shy away from getting into that part of M and S personal lives, but this surprised me. Anyone have any info?

Guest Second Coming

I'm not sure when Duchovny married Tea Leoni but it may be one of those slipups.

Where he forgot to take his ring off in a scene. Not sure he was married then though.

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm not sure I'm talking about the same episode, but I recall the question of the wedding ring cropping up on the x-files newsgroup. I think, though, it must have been in "Travellers" where Mulder visits Arthur Dales. The rumour was that it was indeed David Duchovny's wedding ring, and he had decided to keep it on partly because he had just got married and also with the idea of prompting the writers to give Mulder a bit more backstory - maybe that Mulder had been married. It was also said that DD had told the director that he had OK'd it with the writers and the director believed him.[1] Apparently, so the story goes, when the dailies got back to Los Angeles, it was too late to reshoot that scene without the wedding ring, so it had to go into the episode.

[1]That's why I think the x-files newsgroupers were referring to "Travellers", directed by William Graham, rather than "The Red and the Black" which was directed by Chris Carter who presumably would have known if Mulder had been married!

Yeah...I remember scratching my head at that wedding ring, too. I kept hitting pause...trying to see if it was just some sort of other kind of ring...a family herloom, or a college ring or something...but then I went..."Yep! That's a wedding ring!" (& yes, I think this was in "Travelers", too) :alien:

Guest lilblackgirl

Yeah, it was Travellers, not The Red and The Black. Got the names mixed up. So Dave was just showing off that he and Tea had just been married, huh? Sneaky!

thanks all,

lil

Yeah, it was Travellers, not The Red and The Black.  Got the names mixed up.  So Dave was just showing off that he and Tea had just been married, huh?  Sneaky!

thanks all,

lil

Yeah, pretty sneaky.... And then, lo-and-behold, he got his WIFE on the show too!

(whata guy! :gaba: )