Chip Johannessen

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

I've just heard from Michael R Perry who told me that Chip Johannessen has been elected to the Writers Guild Board of Directors. A considerable achievement in no doubt due to his considerable achievements over the years in the field of writing. I love Chip's work and couldn't wish such an accolade for a better man.

Congratulations Chip, you deserve it!

Eth

Did all candidates post them prior to election Libby? I wonder if they removed them because the decision has now been made? Michael did seem to have just heard the news when he let me know.

A very interesting read, thank you for sharing.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Eth, I've no idea whether all the candidates' statements were made public - I just did a google search and found that blog. I think you're right that the blog has now been removed because the election is over. The count of votes was completed and posted to the WGA website yesterday (18th), so depending on when it was posted and all the different time zones, etc., it could be that Michael Perry either didn't find out until today or he's been busy working the horrendous hours they all seem to in the business.

Incidentally, when I looked at Chip's imdb page, it says his spouse is "Virginia Stock Johannessen (? - present) 1 child" - and although no-one should trust absolutely what imdb says, I wonder if it's Chip's wife who is the mysterious contributor to Bardo Thodol.

Well I'll stand hanging as we say around these parts (I've not idea what it means either but it's an expression of surprise all the same.) Do you remember when we collected the questions for Chip, which he is half way through by the way, one of them is on the very subject of Virginia Stock. I think it was your suggestion actually Libby. Wouldn't that be endearing if it turned out to be the self same Virginia Stock? Bardo Thodol is an outstanding piece of writing and she is one of the writers I would pay good money to have the chance to speak to. Can't wait to see what he has to say.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

"I'll stand hanging" - nope, I've also no idea what that means, though I could riposte with "stap me vitals" for surprise, or "well, I'll be mogadored" for puzzled (though the mogadored is a Terry Pratchett thing, so could be entirely made up, or maybe not).

I think that was my question. It would be very interesting to know for sure that Bardo Thodal was a Mr&Mrs Chip episode, and which one contributed what.

(And what were her parents doing combining a first name with a last name that ends up as the name of a flower? Though that might be prescience as it's a lovely flower.)

LOL "stap me vitals" - well I'll go to the foot of our stairs (there's another one for you) I've never heard that one before. I don't know why but I have visions of Joan Simms (God rest her soul) making good use of that expression. Maybe I have the following exchange in 'Carry At Your Convenience" in mind.....

Vic Spanner: [there is anger at the loss of the tea round] It's another a little prod at the very vitals of your personal freedom.

Chloe Moore: I never noticed anyone prodding at my vitals!

Ernie: Good for you, Chloe.

Willie: Any time for you, Chloe!

....ah good old British lavatory humour, keeping the British end up for years :oneeyedwinK

I digress, any way, I emailed Chip to congratulate him on his ascension (that sounds a bit lofty but I'm sot sure what the appropriate word would be) and he got back to me in lighting speed to say thank you to all of us for supporting him over the years. He said a lot of hard work went in to his campaign so he's no doubt enjoying the champagne as we speak.

Virginia Stock, never noticed the floral link before. Still, it's better the Theresa Green I guess.

Eth