latin or french phrases

Rate this topic

Guest oroboros

Guest oroboros

does anyone know what was spoken by the character Le fur in season 2 "owls" episode, he says a latin/french phrase it sounds like,"vana kin sana" (i'm not sure if what i heard is spelled like this) then he says "this is who we are" then some shooting starts, one of them gets injured, they take off in a van with a relic of the crucifix. if anyone know what that phrase meant, how it is actually spelled/written and what language, please respond.... thank you.:eyes:

i have looked in the episode transcript, but it looks like this was left out... been looking for latin translations but no sound answers, need answers, please help

Edited by oroboros

• Elders (Moderators)

Lafur only says one phrase, which is given in the subtitles as "This is who we are". The French translation is: "ceci qui est nous sommes". It doesn't sound quite right, but the actor isn't French and probably gave as best pronunciation as he could.

• Like 1

Guest Laurent.

If I remember correctly, the actor says: "voilà qui nous sommes" (and his pronunciation is alright). Which, as a translation, is just as good as "ceci est qui nous sommes".

Thanks for your help Laurent and Libby.

I just now found the time to check out the transcript and I too couldn't find anything close to what Oroboros is asking about. Here's the conversation at the beginning of Owls from the posted transcript.

LE FUR: [subtitled] This is who we are.

GUARD: Le Fur, non! Pas las voiture!

DRIVER: Son sang s'est repandu sur le bouis. [subtitles] His blood spilled on the wood.

LE FUR: Non. Ce n'est-ce pas le sang d'Amadou. [subtitle] It's not Amadou's blood.

LE FUR: Non. C'est le sang de Christ. La tache de sa crucifixion. [subtitles] It's the blood of Christ. It is the stain of His crucifixion.

Hope this helps.

Guest oroboros

If I remember correctly, the actor says: "voilà qui nous sommes" (and his pronunciation is alright). Which, as a translation, is just as good as "ceci est qui nous sommes".

:thumbsup: thank you very much Laurent, i very well agree with you, i took a few years of French in high school and college, and i think if said correctly, it is "voila qui nous sommes", Le fur says it in French and reiterates it in English, it just sounded Latin to me for some reason and i got stuck on that track.

this has been bothering me so much, i think about it throughout the days, now i feel at ease. THANK YOU ALL WHO HAD A HAND IN TRYING TO HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT....

you are all a great bunch of people...."VOILA QUI NOUS SOMMES" ...THIS IS WHO WE ARE...:bigsmile:

• Elders (Moderators)

oroborus, he does only say it in French, the English is shown on screen as a subtitle, so there's only a translated version rather than the words he actually said. All the other dialogue in French is shown as a subtitle in French. Why that line didn't get shown in French is a bit strange; there was plenty of time to show both the French dialogue and the English subtitle.

As everyone is happy with the solution that Laurent has provided, I'll add this to the transcript.

Well spotted, oroborus. Your query certainly got us thinking.