Lance Henriksen and Gillian Anderson

Rate this topic

ethsnafu

calposVER02.jpg

Hi guys,

Something very curious was brought to my attention yesterday and I thought you might find it of interest. Oceanstorm Films Ltd are an independent production company who recently updated their blog with the following casting news for a few films they have in production. You can see from the following that, Lance and Gillian are in talks for the movie "Hotel Caledonia".

Cast news.............

HOTEL CALEDONIA - Leslie Phillips and Honor Blackman interested and now in negotiations to attach. Danny Dyer, Gordon Ramsay, Jaime Pressly, Gillian Anderson, and Lance Henriksen now approached and in talks.

INFECTED - Andrew Tiernan interested and now in talks to attach. Matt Smith in talks. Approach made to Cecile Cassel.

UNDERNEATH THE MISTLETOE - cast list being assembled with approaches being scheduled for end of March to Pete Postlethwaite, Thora Birch, Catherine McCormack, Leo Gregory, and Jack O'Connell.

Things are moving very well............

Nick

Now I have to say I am dubious. The casting list looks more a fanboys wish list than a group of names you could easily interest in an independent production so I did a little digging around and found a synopsis for the proposed film and I have to confess it does sound rather intriguing:

Hotel Caledonia focuses on the inoffensive, and downtrodden characters of Norman Tickle, and his ‘street-wise’, female-obsessed friend, Arty Harris. Together they take to the road ‘Jack Kerouac’ style and are soon be-friended by a tightly knit group of backpackers, heading north to Scotland for the thrills, and spills, of adventure. Beginning in the Midlands, the story follows Norman and Arty to the lowlands of Glasgow before finally reaching New Braemar, in the desolate, and sometimes-uninviting, landscape of the Scottish Highlands.

The movie humorously traces the interwoven relationships that develop between all the travellers as their quest for fresh air, and the isolation of the wild outdoors, finally leads them to a working guesthouse known as ‘HOTEL CALEDONIA’. Here, at their final destination, the black, comedic thread of the movie transcends into the macabre, with scares-a-plenty, and where the ‘surrealness of the bizarre’ takes on a face of abject horror. Far removed from the groups’, and the audience’s expectations, HOTEL CALEDONIA is in a state of dilapidation.

To describe it as a hotel, let alone a guesthouse, is somewhat of an over-exaggeration of its potential. HOTEL CALEDONIA reveals its ‘true’identity in the meeting of the travellers and the weirdly frightening, dysfunctional, horrific and unhealthily eating Pertwee family; owners, occupiers, and caterers extraordinaire. From the adventurers’ first encounter with the ‘sinister’ garage owner, Sheena McDonald, to the appearance of ‘old man’ William with his wooden leg, the inhospitality of the environment, and the people who inhabit it, slowly proves itself in the shadows, nooks, crannies, and things that go THUMP in the night. The discovery of strange, and macabre activities, far removed from those of a humane society, and the sudden disappearance of one of their group, leads the adventurers into greater and greater conflict with the Pertwees.

Finally, learning the truth about their ‘employer’s’ vile deeds, perversions and culinary habits, the travellers decide to make good their escape. From that moment on, the thrill-seekers embark on a roller-coaster ride to hell and back, as their worst fears are realised and they are left, literally fighting for their lives. But who survives, and how, is where the story unfolds in the most unexpected of ways, as Norman, with his ‘meek and mild’ nature, allows his personality to reveal that of ‘rescuer’ and ‘hero’. The movie reaches its clever, and untelegraphed climax, with a ‘twist ending’ that will leave the misdirected audience to ponder upon the question of “so what happens next?” HOTEL CALEDONIA is comparable in its widespread appeal to any number of recent ‘box-office’ successful films, from within the Horror genre, but it is within the Comedy-Horror genre that it serves to, and succeeds in, setting itself apart.

Nicholas David Lean appears to be the gent responsible for Oceanstorm Films Ltd and though I have a good look around I can't find any further information beyond a website and a number of blogs each focussing on the above films and the rumoured stages of development. Hotel Caledonia does have an IMDB page and whilst I know this means very little in the grand scheme of things it is worth checking out because the alleged cast list attached to this movie is really rather stellar. It looks like wishful thinking IMHO especially as Matt Smith is rumoured to be in talks for one of the productions and I would have expected Matt to be devoting himself solely to Doctor Who for a few years although I may be wrong.

What do you guys think?

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

THE Gordon Ramsay??!

I read the Hotel Caledonia synopsis and it read more like a advertisement for getting people to vote for it before an awards ceremony. I understood some of the plot (part of it reminded me of a werewolf film called Wild Country) but then it was going off in several directions, which is confusing and mind boggling, but interesting at the same time.

That would be interesting seeing Lance in a British horror film with Gillian (would be I'm guessing the first time they've worked together since the X Files/Millennium crossover in 1999), and very interesting seeing Lance in possible scenes with former Avengers and Bond actress Honor Blackman and Carry On and Doctor in the House actor Leslie 'Hello!/'Ding Dong!' Phillips.

• Elders (Admins)

I just started a topic on this about 10mins ago and just found you posted about it too, so I've merged mine into yours...

Got a Google Alert in my posts today about a film hoping to secure the talents of Gordon Ramsay, Jaime Pressly, Gillian Anderson, Lance Henriksen Leslie Phillips and Honor Blackman.Wow - now that's an ensemble cast!

As a dark comedy it could certainly be a lot of fun!

https://oceanstormfil.../cast-news.html

https://www.hotelcaledoniamovie.com/

Good luck to them I say!

It's an absolutely stellar cast isn't it Graham? It's one of those cast lists would have even the most jaded of nerds jumping for joy. Bung in Tom Baker and Paul Darrow and I think they've covered every sci-fi cult show I've ever seen.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the blog and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out as speculated.

Interestingly though, a few films that had Lance attached to them as far as publicity was concerned have turned out not to have him at all. In the case of The Toolbox Murders II he was pretty peeved in a recent interview that all the publicity material sited him as starring in the film (and still does for that matter) despite him rejecting it on the basis of not liking the script. In this day and age of twitter and other instant forms of internet promotion it seems some folk are getting a little ahead of themselves and putting the information out there before there's anything definite to report.

In the case of Stingy Jack it was stated on their Twitter that Lance was involved prior to their approach to him, based, I guess, on the assumption that it would be something he would probably do and it was pretty much a done deal.

I'm really curious to know how attached he is to this project at the moment because after a little bit of a drought it does look like a film I would be excited to see beyond the fact that our man is in it.

Sorry, I ramble lol

Eth

• Elders (Admins)

Not at all! This is the heinous state of things these days.

Believing the hype, I myself posted on LHM about him being cast in the Tool Box Murders. I must check to make sure I removed the original articles, I know I did the IMDB links.

This could be an interesting film if it works out though.

It absolutely amazes me, with all the new movies released every day, and so many of them just flat forgetable and stupid to me, they continually bypass bringing back such awesome shows like Millennium. I could list a ton of movies that should never have been made, and yet we, after all these years, are still working to bring Frank back. I have found myself watching fewer new TV shows because they're not keeping my interest, and very picky about what movies I either rent or buy. Please tell me that it's all not me. Pickins' really are slim these day. And then when a real good movie comes out, everyone wants to bash it.

I agree with WaveCrest:

I read the Hotel Caledonia synopsis and it read more like a advertisement for getting people to vote for it before an awards ceremony. I understood some of the plot (part of it reminded me of a werewolf film called Wild Country) but then it was going off in several directions, which is confusing and mind boggling, but interesting at the same time.

That would be interesting seeing Lance in a British horror film with Gillian

I too would love to see them together in a movie.

Guest WaveCrest

Sadly it seems cool these days to trundle out rubbish (I could use a stronger word because it deserves it) TV shows and films when more deserving ones get slated. And why don't websites like IMDb update actors' filmographies when it's been stated elsewhere that an actor isn't doing a certain film (an example being The Toolbox Murders).

It's very much like Wikipedia isn't it? Anyone can have a go. I know a lot of the contact information we had to pay to view when I was trying to arrange interviews was incorrect. Like Richard mentions above, there are a number of films that I can think of that have been shelved that are still classed as in production by IMDB. Heck, I could hop over to IMDB right now and create my own page with a list of 'films that were never made' that I have starred in and no one would blink.

Eth

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ras Benek

" It's an absolutely stellar cast isn't it Graham? It's one of those cast lists would have even the most jaded of nerds jumping for joy. Bung in Tom Baker and Paul Darrow and I think they've covered every sci-fi cult show I've ever seen.

I'm going to keep a close eye on the blog and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out as speculated..

I'm really curious to know how attached he is to this project at the moment because after a little bit of a drought it does look like a film I would be excited to see beyond the fact that our man is in it. "

Hi guys,

The state of play with LH is that we are currently 'in talks' with his agent, Jeff, to have him attached to Hotel Caledonia. That means script is read, approved, and discussions are ongoing. Until such talks result in firm attachment Lance's involvement is not guaranteed. As always it is a protracted and drawn out process that requires weeks, but more like months, of delicate negotiation relating to fees, schedules, and ancillary expenditures (flights, hotels) etc for what is likely to be no more than a cameo appearance as both Malcolm & Clifford Tickle (Norman's father, and uncle respectively). Within the big scheme of things it is on this basis, the creation of numerous cameo appearances, that such a 'stellar cast' can be assembled. Ordinarily one would need a budget upwards of at least $50m to attract the level of talent we are currently assembling in featured lead or supporting roles. This film has been in the pipeline, from seeds of creation to current pre-production / refinancing, since 2000 so the assembly of this cast has been very carefully thought out, planned, and executed. The original cast was much 'lighter' and was significantly strengthened late 2009 to ensure sales and distribution confidence, and whilst it may read as a 'wish list' this is in fact what all casting ideas begin as - it is only when you begin to push ahead that wishful thinking becomes actuality. But, that said, nothing is carved in stone until the picture shoots so anything where cast are concerned is possible.......including drop out. However, we do feel that we are slowly assembling a thoroughbred international cast that should ensure the success of this picture as a theatrical entity, let alone as one primed for DVD turnaround. To be fair, the UK indie film industry has needed this picture - something has been sorely missing since Shaun of the Dead stormed onto the scene. For those interested, the DVD style blurb is best found on its own site - www.hotelcaledoniamovie.com..........the most succinct short synopsis on IMDB.

I'd like to thank you all for following progress on this one and others............

INFECTED - one of the other projects on slate all are at similar stages of development and pre-production. We have been chasing down Matt Smith since prior to his agreement to particpate as the next Dr Who, a fact that is now complicated by his 'signing on' to that show. However we remain undaunted and will continue to attempt to get his signature for the INF project. But, that said, if we can't get him on board it won't be because we didn't give it our best shot. Sometimes fate just casts you a blow that you just can't recover from. The project has received word from Cecile Cassel, sister of the great French actor Vincent Cassel, that she is prepared to discuss terms to attach alongside Sean Pertwee (Dog Soldiers, Doomsday, Rome) and Alex Reid (The Descent 1&2) with Andrew Tiernan (300) still in talks.

UNDERNEATH THE MISTLETOE - is developing its latest draft in preparation for a hurriedly gathered $1.5m budget ahead of shoot pencilled for Sept/Oct 2010 and is assembling its 'wish list' for cast - though to be fair at that budget level any named talent recognizable to audiences will feature only in support or cameo roles. However the producers / director have strong links within the UK film industry and are more likely to attach those initially named than not - of course with regard given to terms and availability - those little factors cannot be underestimated. What UTM does have than many indie UK pictures do not is a strong theme, strong script, great characters, lowish budget, and a very unique USP that makes it highly commercial.

This is an interesting time for the Director - with his first film due out at Venice in September - and a slate of projects coming along behind there are inevitably going to be questions fielded that turn attention to the other great name from his family. Big shoes to fill indeed, but not a task he would ever shirk away from no matter how unlikely he is to ever be able to fill them.

Thanks for all your comments. Keep em coming. I'll do my best to try to keep up with you.

Regards,

NDL