Lance Henriksen at the Brussels International Fantastique Film Festival

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

Here's a video, the first I've seen, where Lance is having a nice cold beer and a cigarette with a fan whilst in Belgium. He was there for the Brussels International Fantastique Film Festival where he was collecting an award.

The audio is pretty poor but you can pick out certain things that Lance is saying, in particular some his comments about Directors!

• Like 1

Guest WaveCrest

That was brilliant. Thank you Graham for sharing it. It was interesting what he said about Stephen King's novels, and about film directors! I heard him say he has been filming some gangster films lately. He mentioned two titles but I couldn't hear them very well. Lance seems such a very down to earth bloke, and seeing him speaking to a fan up close answering questions (that was fascinating watching him answering the questions, listening to the man and his translator (it was in the French language?), sipping a beer and smoking a cigarette (even though I don't like smoking) shows he is more down to earth and appreciative of his fans then other actors who are big-headed.

I'll have to look at the website for The Brussels International Fantastique Film Festival (quite a mouthful!) and see what films they screened.

• Like 1

I listened to it twice Richard and couldn't make out the names of the films he mentioned. I was struck by how remarkably laid back he was with his fans but the experiences of people here and others there have always paid testament to how welcoming he is to anyone who is interested in his work.

It's a shame more of those in the industry don't extend the same courtesy to those have often spent many years supporting them.

Eth

• Like 1

• Elders (Admins)

Well said mark!

Richard you made out more of what was said than me! :thumbsup: I noticed that Youtube has a subtitles feature for some videos which is some fabulous new live technology they have come up with but it wasn't available on this video - shame!

It's a shame more of those in the industry don't extend the same courtesy to those have often spent many years supporting them.

Eth

Perfectly worded. I've noticed that the better actors, those who sell the role they are playing, and not just a face, are the least arrogant, and so fun-loving. Those that have stayed in the game, like Lance, are the most humble and appreciative of the fans who made them what and who they are today.

Thanks Graham for this post. It's heartwarming to see Lance as one of us. This is who we are. ouroborous.gif

• Like 1

Guest WaveCrest

Well said mark!

Richard you made out more of what was said than me! :thumbsup: I noticed that Youtube has a subtitles feature for some videos which is some fabulous new live technology they have come up with but it wasn't available on this video - shame!

That's a handy feature to have on YouTube, subtitles. Especially when it's hard to hear what someone is saying. I think Lance said Stephen King's writing is meandering.

• Like 1

I've been reading a few interviews in which Lance talked about directors and he seems to have a really cool approach to signing on to films. He doesn't do that on the strength of the script alone, that seems to be the first stage, the second is he talks directly to the director to find out what he/she is all about. I know he spoke of putting Nicholas through his paces before he agreed to do The Penitent Man and as I recall he arranged a meeting with Chris Carter to discuss Millennium with him before he would agree to do the series. I know he speaks of having a "New York Bullshit Detector" and he can tell if the director is able to walk the walk just from talking to him. He's one of the few actors I actually find absorbing when he's talking about his craft. Half of them have just phoned the lines in most of the time and when they appear on the likes of "Jonathan Ross" it's twenty minutes of idle quipping and gurning because they have very little to contribute as an artiste. Lance on the other hand, and his particular style of method acting, are fascinating to dissect. Lance can talk for ten minutes about whey he chose a particular hat for a character and give you detailed reasons why that hat is that character's hat. Now that's a thinking man's actor m'friends.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

I've been thinking I would like to see Lance appear on Jonathan Ross' Friday night chat show, but on the other hand (and I don't mean to be snobbish) he would be too good for that show. Maybe something like The Culture Show?