SPFX Explosion

Rate this topic

Guest Darkshow

Guest Darkshow

This is a video of a auto explosion for Millennium. The location was at the foot of Lonsdale in North Vancouver. If you listen carefully you can hear the highspeed camera running.

Building in the background Is Burrard Dry Docks. Burrard closed about 1986. The ship yard was used for many films after it closed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ttFcfFCyI

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=j8ttFcfFCyI

• Elders (Moderators)

That's fascinating, and a bit scary even though I know that the car wouldn't have had a full tank of petrol.

How many cameras were running for that shot? I know they often use more than one, because it's not as though a retake is possible.

Guest Darkshow

Seems to me there were 2. I took this video and there was one camera to my left and slightly forward. The other probably was directly across the lot rakeing the passenger side of car.

We tested a fuel we had never used before to achieve a different color. Smoke was black and very thick. This car are stripped of anything that could become projectiles. Passenger

door was secured with cable with no hinges. All the doors, hood, and trunk were safetied as well.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=217258669706960519405.00049d6fbd8e38de29e4b&t=h&z=14&iwloc=00049d707409cf95c247e

How many cameras were running for that shot? I know they often use more than one, because it's not as though a retake is possible.

• Elders (Moderators)

The google maps function is very useful, especially for seeing where the shooting took place.

I recall one of the DVD commentaries (though it might have been Harsh Realm), where it was said that many good, i.e. derelict, areas for filming in Vancouver are no longer available because a lot of them have been improved. Do you still do work in Vancouver?

I guess you've probably solved the query you posted in the shoutbox - at least you've managed to successfully posted a youtube video (which is more than I've been able to achieve :whistling:). Have you investigated the gallery option for your photos? There are a couple of how-to topics that Graham posted in the Support Forum: https://www.millenniu...-support-forum/. They are somewhat out of date, but could give you an overview. You can also access the Gallery function from your profile by clicking on the down arrow at the top of the screen next to your name.

Although it would be good if you also posted more videos/pictures in the forum so we can all see them when we log in.

I do like hearing about the behind-the-scenes operation. I remember when I first started doing episode transcripts that I was surprised by how many people were in the end credits and hadn't realised what a huge team was involved in each episode. Although I was somewhat embarrassed by my ignorance, that was a compliment to the professionalism of all concerned that the final version made it all look so easy.

Guest Darkshow

The google maps function is very useful, especially for seeing where the shooting took place.

I recall one of the DVD commentaries (though it might have been Harsh Realm), where it was said that many good, i.e. derelict, areas for filming in Vancouver are no longer available because a lot of them have been improved. Do you still do work in Vancouver?

I guess you've probably solved the query you posted in the shoutbox - at least you've managed to successfully posted a youtube video (which is more than I've been able to achieve :whistling:). Have you investigated the gallery option for your photos? There are a couple of how-to topics that Graham posted in the Support Forum: https://www.millenniu...-support-forum/. They are somewhat out of date, but could give you an overview. You can also access the Gallery function from your profile by clicking on the down arrow at the top of the screen next to your name.

Although it would be good if you also posted more videos/pictures in the forum so we can all see them when we log in.

I do like hearing about the behind-the-scenes operation. I remember when I first started doing episode transcripts that I was surprised by how many people were in the end credits and hadn't realised what a huge team was involved in each episode. Although I was somewhat embarrassed by my ignorance, that was a compliment to the professionalism of all concerned that the final version made it all look so easy.

Thnks for your assistance with postings. I don't have any more photos to post. I am digging out Video's and posting them via you tube. The google map is handy but I don't know if I have it working correctly yet. Our Fx crew had a base crew of 5. Coordinator. 2-3 on set and myself Fx electro-mechanical design and construction. The coordinator and myself worked tightly together to implement all the gags needed for the crew on set. I built the gags and handed them off to the boys in the trenches. As long as my gags worked I never had to go to set and that was just fine for me. I rented my machine and fabrication shop to the show and coordinator had a 5 ton on set. So between us we had everything we needed. We were good team and we all pulled together for the whole show. No injuries and all the gags worked. All in all it was a good run!