How Do You Watch Millennium?

Rate this topic

Guest Forza

I'm curious what A-V components other Group members and candidates are utilizing in their home theatre system.

Which components have worked and which have not? For example, I had to search around for a DVD player that would entirely eliminate all artifacts, layer transitions, combing, etc. during playback of even the wonkiest DVD (I thank Denon for actually making one).

Has anyone updated their A-V systems recently to optimize their MillenniuM DVD experience? If so, Legion commends you!

Also, is anyone a THX disciple? If so, I have some nice oceanfront property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.... :devil01:

Edited by Forza

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Forza, great Topic! I haven't upgraded recently but here's my current spec for enjoying Millennium on DVD...

TV

I watch Millennium on a Philips 32" 32PW6006C Widescreen TV which I bought online at ShopAtHills.co.uk.

sp_l_Phi32pw6006.jpg

I'm very impressed with the picture on the Millennium DVD's and have had no problems at all recommending this model TV. I bought a non-Dolby Surround (Pro-Logic) TV as I prefer to use a seperate Home Cinema 5.1 setup which leads me nicely on to...

Sound/Speakers

I listen to Millennium via my Accoustic DS1033 5.1 speakers:

as1033.jpg

The colour is wrong in that image, they are silver/grey. I got them from Argos but they seem to have been replaced I this season's catalogue with the Acoustic Solutions DS1133

DVD Player

I use a DVD Recorder, the Panasonic DMR-E50 Multi-Region. Its just been replaced with a slightly different looking DMR-E55 which you can get for £218 from https://www.digital-point.co.uk/dvd.asp. Great service and best prices from them.

Here are my basic Home Theatre specs:

30" Sony XBR910 widescreen HDTV

Sony STR-DA1ES A/V Receiver

Denon DVD-2900 Universal DVD, DVD-A, & SACD player

Definitive Technologies ProCinema 60 5.1 speakers

Accessories: Monster Cables & Monster Power

With the above equipment, MillenniuM never looked so good!

:smily_tooth_big:

Oh, and I forgot to add that I calibrate my entire system using a combination of reference materials from Avia Guide to Home Theatre and Digital Video Essentials, sound level meter, color filters, etc.

It blows my mind how many people buy a HD-TV and surround sound system of some type and then utterly fail to properly calibrate the picture and sound field. Even more hilarious are the misanthropes who use the laughable THX optimizer.  :Gehenna_demon:

Poor souls, most of them probably fell for Bose's vacuous sales pitch and THX certification. Indeed, George Lucas is the P.T. Barnum of our time! Ka-Ching! :devil01:

Edited by Forza

....ah, f*** it:

- 47-inch Samsung HDTV-(rear projection for best blacks, none of that plasma sh*t!)

-Sony DD/DTS/DPLII/NEO-sound processing, this puppy will turn any 2-channel stereo source or higher into VERY convincing 6.1 surround sound. it's a dream with MM!

-JBL-Front-Tower speakers, 200W w/ 2 4-inch tweeters and bass re-routing handling capabilities.--(these puppies are 1998 models and i've yet to hear anything better in thier price range,)

-Polk center channel speaker, 210W bi-directional.-(ironically more tonally matched to the JBL's than any JBL center speaker i've tested!...??)

-JBL-mini, but heavy suckers, surround speakers, 110W. nothing fancy but more than adequate!

-a second, but EL-CHEAPO-model Polk-center spekaer for placement between the rear surrounds. -(it's rearely activated during MM though)

-a JBL 250W subwoofer, great in it's day but now VERY close to being a dead piece of equipment.........- :crying_big:

-i also have a dvd recorder but i watch my dvd's, because of it's 3:2 pulldown-(pretty much the same as 2:3 pulldown)-capabilities in progressive scan mode i use a SONY-5-DISC- CHANGER with PROG-SCAN, DVD-A-(big whup!-lol)- and some of the most impressive PROG-SCAN images i've coe across for a sub $250-model.

...since S1 is not anamorphic we watch them using a stretch mode called "PANORAMIC" . -(I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LIKELY THINKING AS I NORMALLY DETEST STRETCH MODES AS WELL BUT ON THIS SET IT'S DONE IN SUCH A FLAWLESS WAY: ONLY THE VERY FAR EDGES ARE STRETCHED LEAVING ABOUT 85% OF THE IMAGE, WELL, PERFECT.)

~se7en :ouro:

POST 1919: MY DEAR GRANPA, OR GRAMPS, WAS BORN ON APRIL, 3- 1919 AND IS CURRENTLY 85 YEARS OLD. HUGE INFLUENCE ON MY LIFE IN MANY WAYS. INSTILLED IN ME MY LOVE OF THE OUTDOORS AND HISTORY. A GREAT, GREAT MAN.

...since S1 is not anamorphic we watch them using a stretch mode called "PANORAMIC" . -(I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE LIKELY THINKING AS I NORMALLY DETEST STRETCH MODES AS WELL BUT ON THIS SET IT'S DONE IN SUCH A FLAWLESS WAY: ONLY THE VERY FAR EDGES ARE STRETCHED LEAVING ABOUT 85% OF THE IMAGE, WELL, PERFECT.)

Yeah, my Sony HDTV has a similar mode called Wide Zoom--it works really well with translating 4:3 images onto a 16X9 screen. In layman terms, it prevents shapes (especially round ones) from getting too stretchy.

....ah, f*** it:

- 47-inch Samsung HDTV-(rear projection for best blacks, none of that plasma sh*t!)

-Sony DD/DTS/DPLII/NEO-sound processing, this puppy will turn any 2-channel stereo source or higher into VERY convincing 6.1 surround sound. it's a dream with MM!

-JBL-Front-Tower speakers, 200W w/ 2 4-inch tweeters and bass re-routing handling capabilities.--(these puppies are 1998 models and i've yet to hear anything better in thier price range,)

-Polk center channel speaker, 210W bi-directional.-(ironically more tonally matched to the JBL's than any JBL center speaker i've tested!...??)

-JBL-mini, but heavy suckers, surround speakers, 110W. nothing fancy but more than adequate!

-a second, but EL-CHEAPO-model Polk-center spekaer for placement between the rear surrounds. -(it's rearely activated during MM though)

-a JBL 250W subwoofer, great in it's day but now VERY close to being a dead piece of equipment.........-  :crying_big:

-i also have a dvd recorder but i watch my dvd's, because of it's 3:2 pulldown-(pretty much the same as 2:3 pulldown)-capabilities in progressive scan mode i use a SONY-5-DISC- CHANGER with PROG-SCAN, DVD-A-(big whup!-lol)- and some of the most impressive PROG-SCAN images i've coe across for a sub $250-model.

POST 1919: MY DEAR GRANPA, OR GRAMPS, WAS BORN ON APRIL, 3- 1919 AND IS CURRENTLY 85 YEARS OLD. HUGE INFLUENCE ON MY LIFE IN MANY WAYS. INSTILLED IN ME MY LOVE OF THE OUTDOORS AND HISTORY. A GREAT, GREAT MAN.

HAPPY 19-19!!!!!

And, in underwhelming response to this overwhelming combination of technological wizardry....

I have a Magnavox TV, bought in 1988, :blush::down: and a Panasonic DVD player, bought last year. :bigsmile: That's it. :ghostface:

Guest chrisnu

Nothing too special: a 32" Sony Trinitron TV (the tube's going out, though), and a Sony DAV-C450 Home Theater System. 5-disc DVD player (non-progressive), and 5.1 Surround sound. I'll hopefully be replacing the TV soon with a 32" Widescreen HDTV.

Guest ottavia242
And, in underwhelming response to this overwhelming combination of technological wizardry....

I have a Magnavox TV, bought in 1988,   and a Panasonic DVD player, bought last year.  That's it. 

I, too, have an older TV and a new cheap-o dvd player.

Someday, I will upgrade, when I don't have outrageous rent to pay and have a job that pays more K than my age!

I am still happy watching Millennium on any dinosaur appliances. :jumping:

Be well.

Sage

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Windom Earle

I use a 27 inch JVC TV and a JVC region-free DVD player--nothing too fancy. When I watched Millennium S1 I watched it in the dark save for the eerie crimson glow of my lava lamps.