Favorite Season

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest betweenthelines

Season Two was my favorite. There was more variety in the stories, and the quality of the episodes was usually very consistent (the only two episodes I don't really care for are 'Sense and Antisense' and '19:19'). Plus I'm interested in religions, so it was a treat for me when the second season started dealing in Christian mythos, angels, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

For me it's definitely season 1. The one which set the standards and gave us the basic for the other 2 seasons. I'm not talking about which season has the best episodes or which one is the more varied one, but simply because it's the start of it all, season 1 is the best for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest GENESIS

Very tough but I do love Season 2, season 1 is awesome and also 3 in its own way...

I think a lot of people didnt like Emma Holis but I really liked her,she added something to the third season.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
Yes, season two is the best. SOMEHOW SATAN GOT BEHIND ME is my favorite episode from MM. I also love the two holiday episodes.

WOW, someone who's been around a while here who actually LIKES the 2nd Season! Thank you!!! I was starting to feel that maybe I needed therapy or something...

Yes, the 2nd Season is my favorite along with "Anamnesis" being my very favorite episode (ah, so many of the other 'Powers that Be' here really do NOT seem to agree : )

However, I must admit that a lot of the very knowledgeable people here have truly helped me to understand MUCH more fully what was going on behind the scenes with Mr. Carter, M & W, etc. Man, I never realized how dang much controversy surrounded the issue; but, it's really been very enlightening and interesting. At least I do honestly appreciate the 3rd Season a LOT better now than I thought I was going to. Funny you mention the particular episodes above that you do; I just brought those ones up in another discussion here where I was trying to convince Ms. RavenWolf that there was indeed some merit to a number of the 2nd Season Episodes. I found them very symbolic and colorful; like I had mentioned before in the other discussion, different types of people will prefer different seasons with this series. The people who like the intense, straightforward no nonsense 'let's show the REAL Evil in the world will prefer Season 1. The people who are like *Between the Lines* and myself who really get into the symbology and religious themes will likely prefer the 2nd Season. The 3rd Season seems so far (I'm only up to "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" - Geez, what a trip!) like pretty much Mr. Carter taking some elements from Season 2 and masterfully trying to bend them back around to harmonize a bit more with his original premise.

All good stuff! : )

• 1 month later...
Guest Kinggi

Season 2 for me. In fact, season 2 in my opinion is one of the best seasons ive ever watched on tv, alongside the X File's best. So many amazing episodes in season 2. 2 Darin Morgan episodes, the amazing Morgan and Wong plot arc leading to the conclusion, the excellent direction and writing, Lucy butler and her evil ways, and a lot more.

In my opinion Millennium as a series is better off for having entered into the somewhat supernatural and apocalyptic realm. It offers the greatest variety and styles to the writers. I think if the show would have continued doing the serial killer of the week (even though i know the show was more than that in the first season, it could come off as such to many people), i think a third season wouldnt have been done. Im still surprised a third season was done after that season 2 finale.

Some of my favorite episodes from season 2;

The Beginning and The End

The Curse of Frank Black

José Chung's "Doomsday Defense"

Midnight of the Century

The Mikado

Luminary

A Room With No View

Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me

The Fourth Horseman

The Time Is Now

So many classic episodes.

Edited by Kinggi

• 3 months later...
Guest anderton

I love all three seasons, though acknowledging their negative quirks.

Season One - Simply takes too long to get started. It comes together in the second half, but early on the greatness is scattered.

Season Two - The most consistent season, but the religious conspiracy arc does come out of nowhere, and I understand why people have difficulty accepting it to this day. On the other hand, despite the plot, the writing is topnotch (above all else, it makes the scenarios believeable and the characters within them human), and the season is full of unique, artistic brushes.

Season Three - The highest highs and the lowest lows. The main arc goes off the deep end (Psychic spies! Of course!), there are several odd inconsistencies ("Skull & Bones" - huh?), forced conceptual episodes ("TEOTWAWKI", "Forcing the End" - weren't we past this crap?), but then out of nowhere you'd have something like "Borrowed Time" or "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" that took Millennium to the very top. I'd say the best episodes of this season really defined what Millennium was supposed to be. Then it was cancelled.

Guest betweenthelines

Wow anderton, those are more or less the same feelings I have about the show. Season 1 was very uneven; the first two episodes were great, but after 'Dead Letters' there were a lot of standard crime drama episodes mixed in with some great thrillers like 'Lamentation' and 'Walkabout'.

I think Season 3 would have worked better if the writers took the religious arc of Season 2 and continued to explore it a bit. Opening up the season with a plane-crash story wasn't the best move either. Not sure what you mean by "forced conceptual crap", though...

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___
I love all three seasons, though acknowledging their negative quirks.

Season One - Simply takes too long to get started. It comes together in the second half, but early on the greatness is scattered.

Season Two - The most consistent season, but the religious conspiracy arc does come out of nowhere, and I understand why people have difficulty accepting it to this day. On the other hand, despite the plot, the writing is topnotch (above all else, it makes the scenarios believeable and the characters within them human), and the season is full of unique, artistic brushes.

Season Three - The highest highs and the lowest lows. The main arc goes off the deep end (Psychic spies! Of course!), there are several odd inconsistencies ("Skull & Bones" - huh?), forced conceptual episodes ("TEOTWAWKI", "Forcing the End" - weren't we past this crap?), but then out of nowhere you'd have something like "Borrowed Time" or "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" that took Millennium to the very top. I'd say the best episodes of this season really defined what Millennium was supposed to be. Then it was cancelled.

VERY well said! :yes: I think that your comments are the fairest (of them all... :doh:) No..., sorry, it's getting late... I think your comments are the fairest and most balanced that I've read or heard so far; like you say, each season has it's strengths and weaknesses. Nice observations about Season 2! Again VERY balanced and accurate, Id say.

Guest anderton
I think Season 3 would have worked better if the writers took the religious arc of Season 2 and continued to explore it a bit. Opening up the season with a plane-crash story wasn't the best move either. Not sure what you mean by "forced conceptual crap", though...

FOX originally marketed Millennium on the Y2K paranoia, and those two episodes in particular really fell right into that trap without any substance beyond "what if something bad happens oh no". "TEOTWAWKI" seemed like a dry run that was never actually supposed to be shot, more like Carter getting back into the "Millennium" mindset. "Forcing the End"... well, the title says it all. Subtle as a mallet to the skull.

Thanks for your comments on... well, my opinions. Haha. Through and through, Millennium was a powerful and unique show and I wouldn't have changed it at all(other than extending it, perhaps).

Edited by anderton