Favorite Season

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

Guest PeterWatts

finally finished season 3 last night, it was by far my least favorite season. don't get me wrong, I liked it but it lacked the dark, gritty storelines that made me fall in love with seasons 1 & 2. the final episode was a little disappointing, it seemed as though there were many unresolved issues with the Millennium Group, ie. the death of Peter Watts & the subsequent recruitment of Emma Hollis. I felt betrayed by Hollis. .

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
finally finished season 3 last night, it was by far my least favorite season. don't get me wrong, I liked it but it lacked the dark, gritty storelines that made me fall in love with seasons 1 & 2. the final episode was a little disappointing, it seemed as though there were many unresolved issues with the Millennium Group, ie. the death of Peter Watts & the subsequent recruitment of Emma Hollis. I felt betrayed by Hollis. .

Don't worry, you are not alone. I think you will find that the vast majority here would tag season 3 as their least favorite. In fact, I can't think of anyone off hand who has ever mentioned it being their favorite. Having said all that, I still enjoyed it greatly and I think it contains some of the best episodes the series had to offer. I agree with you on Emma, and I was surprised at where they took her character towards the end. As I have mentioned many times, season two was my favorite, but season one might be the only season where you don't find many complaints about the writing at some point. For me, although I loved season three, this was the season that I had problems with as far as the writing. To me, they built Emma up througout season three as someone who was loyal and would not have had any interest in joining the group. We see her exposed to the dark side of the group time and time again, especially in episodes such as Skull and Bones and Bardo Thodol, so, to me, it didn't really seem that believable that her character would turn on Frank and join the group. I haven't seen those last few episodes in a while, so maybe I am forgetting something, but I had trouble buying the direction of Emma's character in the end.

Guest Moriarty
so maybe I am forgetting something, but I had trouble buying the direction of Emma's character in the end.

MIB: you are indeed forgetting the fact that the group cured her father from Alzheimer disease. That's why she joined them, so that her father could be cured. If there were a fourth season I am sure that she would help Frank to expose the group for what they are. I believe that was the setup of the writers.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
MIB: you are indeed forgetting the fact that the group cured her father from Alzheimer disease. That's why she joined them, so that her father could be cured. If there were a fourth season I am sure that she would help Frank to expose the group for what they are. I believe that was the setup of the writers.

I do actually remember that, but this is part of what I just don't buy regarding Emma. First, this is one of the rare cases where I don't like where they went with a character, and second, although I can see where the temptation would be there, I just don't see her character as someone who would sell their sole for something, and even her father later disapproves, as he tells her after the procedure. I know this was part of a deal with the group, but I find it hard to believe she would just submit to being a loyal servant after being seduced and manipulated by Watts and the group. Even if it was all believable, it just doesn't seem right, and I didn't really see the need to take a key character with such established integrity and make her into a character that viewers regarded as a traiter and sell out and well, I won't mention some of the other words that have been used. As mentioned, it's just a matter of personal preferance, but my objections to the writing came mostly in season 3, as opposed to many here who didn't approve of much, or some, of season 2. In many cases, after the show came close to being canceled following season 2, I think they were just trying to write some juicy plot lines and scenes to attract new viewers and keep the interest of those that they had. I think they sometimes took it a little to far, and I, for one, wasn't crazy about the scene where Frank smashes in Peter Watts window and threatens him with a gun in front of his family. I just didn't seem like Frank's style, and this kind of sensationalism didn't really fit the show. Just my humble opinion though.

Guest ZeusFaber
I think you will find that the vast majority here would tag season 3 as their least favorite.

Not me!

For me, although I loved season three, this was the season that I had problems with as far as the writing. To me, they built Emma up througout season three as someone who was loyal and would not have had any interest in joining the group.

I disagree. The tragedy of Emma Hollis and the Faustian pact she was forced into is damn near Shakespearean. She falls from grace because of a very human and realistic motivation regarding her father, and the fact the he comes out of it an condemns her choice only underscores the tragedy of it. To me, it's a great character arc and inspired writing choice that elevated Emma beyond capable sidekick to a more multifaceted and impactful character, taking her to a place that is more interesting and thought-provoking than it would otherwise have been.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Not me!

I disagree. The tragedy of Emma Hollis and the Faustian pact she was forced into is damn near Shakespearean. She falls from grace because of a very human and realistic motivation regarding her father, and the fact the he comes out of it an condemns her choice only underscores the tragedy of it. To me, it's a great character arc and inspired writing choice that elevated Emma beyond capable sidekick to a more multifaceted and impactful character, taking her to a place that is more interesting and thought-provoking than it would otherwise have been.

Is it safe to assume that season one is your favorite, followed by season three, and then season two? I'm going to have to look up that poll I found recently regarding peoples favorite season. I know that season two was the one that was listed as most peoples favorites, followed by season two, of course, but I forgot what percentage picked season 3. My guess would be less than 10%, but there are probably many more show would rank it second.

As for Emma, the main problem I have with the "pact" is that, even though she agreed to join the group, there is no reason to believe that Emma would carry out her intended role within the group. After her Dad was cured, the group has already given Emma what she wanted, so she no longer has any incentive to serve them. It's not like they are going to give him his Alzheimers back. It just doesn't seem realistic that you could manipulate someone into a situation like that and then expect loyalty to a cause that they don't believe in, especially when we see Emma exposed to the darker side of Watts and the group. It doesn't seem like they would trust her to carry our their agenda. After the group practically forces her to join and her Dad expresses his disapproval, it is hard to believe she would continue to serve the group in the manner they would like or that the group or Watts would think she would.

Guest ZeusFaber

It's true that you can't buy devotion, but I think they would still have her right where they want her in terms of somene inside the FBI they could control. If Emma were to renage on the deal, she'd risk severe retribution from the Group towards her and her father -- a visit from Mabius perhaps? After all she had seen in the likes of "Skull and Bones", I think fear would be enough to keep her in line.

It's like when a loan shark or hte mafia does you a "favour". You could always back out and refuse to "return the favour", but it wouldn't be a good idea because of the implied consequences. Once you get even slightly involved with people like this, they own you for life.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
It's true that you can't buy devotion, but I think they would still have her right where they want her in terms of somene inside the FBI they could control. If Emma were to renage on the deal, she'd risk severe retribution from the Group towards her and her father -- a visit from Mabius perhaps? After all she had seen in the likes of "Skull and Bones", I think fear would be enough to keep her in line.

It's like when a loan shark or hte mafia does you a "favour". You could always back out and refuse to "return the favour", but it wouldn't be a good idea because of the implied consequences. Once you get even slightly involved with people like this, they own you for life.

This is true, and I think what is boils down to is that they thought this would make for a juicy story that would hold the viewers interest. I guess I am just too sentimental and didn't want to see Emma's character portrayed in this manner. Given the fact that her father was involved it does make it a little easier to swallow though. It seems that, rather than going through all this effort to "force" Emma into the group, they would be more interested in an FBI insider who was more willing to play ball. This isn't something that ruins season three or anything like that, it just wasn't one of my favorite plot twists.

Guest ZeusFaber

I don't think they only wanted Emma just so she could be an FBI insider, although this would come into it. The Group, as mostly ex-law enforcement personnel themselves, would probably have a degree of inside access already. Emma was important because Frank was starting to get to her, to show her all the Group's misdeeds. Turning her would illiminate a threat as much as gain an ally.

As for being sentimental and wanting to see Emma turn out for the best, I agree with this, which is exactly what makes it such an effective tragedy.

Guest Smilla Jespersen

I think all three seasons have their merits.

Season one started pure with the Profiler/Serial Killer theme but degenerated when it was clear that the commercial audience wanted another X Files. Season two was absolutely the Group conspiracy season and if youre a theorist this will be your favourite. Season three thried to go back to season one but failed in the end as the female lead was weak and Frank looked tired.

Perhaps more Lucy Butler/ Lara Means would have done the helped the third season but to be honest it looked tired in the end. As a theorist seson two worked better for me.

I reality I think that Millennium would have failed midway thru season one if somebody other than Lance had been playing Frank and Terry playing Peter.

I don't think we will ever see a movie.....Fox killed two of CC favourite formats (M and the Gunmen)...and although Lance would like another crack I'm not sure that CC would want to work with Fox again.

(Where's X Files Movie 2?)