Lucy Butler

Rate this topic

Guest WarIsHell

Guest WarIsHell

Everything done in the series was very methodical and I've seen a lot of debate here about what Lucy was. My own personal query was why that name? I know there has to be some reasoning behind picking that specific name. What was it?

• Elders (Moderators)

Welcome to the board, WarlsHell.

You've asked an interesting question, which has possibly been discussed already here, but, as I've said many times before, one of the things we like about new members is that they give us the opportunity to look at things afresh:

BeerBelch explains that Lucy is almost certainly a reference to Lucifer, aka Satan. Then Earthnut finds a reference to Venus, the morning star, which is the precursor to the dawn. Then I get a sudden memory of a song from the first World War, which refers to a Lucifer as a match to light a cigarette, and usually understood in the context of the troops in the trenches.

Ten-Thirteen were well known for doing their research into the names they chose for their main characters, and I suppose it isn't surprising that they chose "Lucy" for a character that could display so much charm, yet be so deadly. And I can't imagine anyone other than Sarah-Jane Redmond being able to encompass the extent of that character so well. She really made Lucy a very chilling and intriguing character.

• Like 1

This is interesting from Wikipedia ~

Translation of הֵילֵל as "Lucifer", as in the King James Version, has been abandoned in modern English translations of Isaiah 14:12. Present-day translations have "morning star..." "daystar..." "Shining one..." or "shining star."

This development has been decried not only by adherents of the King James only movement, but also by others, who hold that the King James Version is correct and that Isaiah 14:12 refers to Satan under the name of "Lucifer",or who hold that the reference to Satan is preeminent...

Early Christians were influenced by the association of Isaiah 14:12-15 with the Devil, which had developed in the period between the writing of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament, also called the Intertestamental Period when the Deuterocanonical Books were written. Even in the New Testament itself, Sigve K Tonstad argues, the War in Heaven theme of Revelation 12:7-9, in which the dragon "who is called the devil and Satan … was thrown down to the earth", derives from the passage in Isaiah 14. Origen interpreted such Old Testament passages as being about manifestations of the Devil; but of course, writing in Greek, not Latin, he did not identify the Devil with the name "Lucifer." Tertullian, who wrote in Latin, also understood Isaiah 14:14 ("I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High") as spoken by the Devil, but "Lucifer" is not among the numerous names and phrases he used to describe the Devil. Even at the time of the Latin writer Augustine of Hippo, "Lucifer" had not yet become a common name for the Devil. But some time later, the metaphor of the morning star that Isaiah 14:12 applied to a king of Babylon gave rise to the general use of the Latin word for "morning star", capitalized, as the original name of the Devil before his fall from grace, linking Isaiah 14:12 with Luke 10:18 ("I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven") and interpreting the passage in Isaiah as an allegory of Satan's fall from heaven.

The Devil in Hebrew is always plural on the OT, and becomes singular in the NT, the accuser, with the #1 lie of the Devil, "You don't need God to live."

What's interesting is that the traditionalist Rabbis in Judaism often rejected any belief in rebel or fallen angels, having a view that evil is abstract.

The Islam Quran refers to a "blazing star."

In Occultism Lucifier is revered as a liberator or guiding light, not as the Devil.

• Like 1