Christmas 2014 - Pics, Preparations, Trees and Decoration

Rate this topic

Ho Ho Ho! win50.gif
Christmas is a coming in! (Did you notice the Title? There seems to be a connection to a certain Millennium episode Oo.gif )

I thought it would be nice if some of us share some christmas pictures, maybe recipies or whatever. What you do on christmas eve, what kind of presents you buy or wish for, whether you do some charity work or whatever... viannen_12.gif

I'll make a start with some cookie-art, that i just made with the leftovers of my todays dough.

Exclusively for our home far from home 2195f21.gif :

• Like 1

What flavor is the cookie? Clever idea.

I clicked on a link that was posted at ATT/Yahoo before reading my email, that I thought you all would like to see the page and have some of the recipes ~ https://www.yahoo.com/food/make-ahead-easy-baking-mix-102018650240.html

At the botton of the page are a tons of links for different food recipes and ideas.

Make-Ahead Easy Baking Mix

Fancy scones, muffins, or biscuits in a flash? Like, on a weekday morning? Just keep this mix at the ready (in the fridge or freezer).
You don’t have to wake up extra-early to bake something from scratch for breakfast — even on weekday mornings. With a batch of this versatile baking mix in the refrigerator or freezer, you’ll never be more than minutes away from tender, tasty, fresh-from-the-oven biscuits, scones, and muffins.
You don’t have to wake up extra-early to bake something from scratch for breakfast — even on weekday mornings. With a batch of this versatile baking mix in the refrigerator or freezer, you’ll never be more than minutes away from tender, tasty, fresh-from-the-oven biscuits, scones, and muffins.
3 tablespoons sugar
2 sticks frozen unsalted butter, grated
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coarse salt
6 cups all-purpose flour
Whisk together sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. Stir in butter. Want to go whole wheat? Replace 2 cups of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour.
What’s the secret to the flakiest baked goods? The butter needs to be distributed in small pieces throughout the flour. It’s much faster to stir in grated frozen butter (use the large holes of a box grater) than to cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or to use your fingers.
Wanna try a great recipe using this mix? Try some Lemon-Raisin Scones!
2 cups cold Homemade Baking Mix
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup coarsely chopped raisins
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Coarse sanding sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together baking mix, granulated sugar, raisins, and zest. In another bowl, whisk together cream and egg; stir into baking-mix mixture until a dough forms. Pat into a 6-inch round on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with cream; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Cut into 8 wedges, and pull them 2 inches apart.
2. Bake scones until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely on pan on a wire rack.

What is most upsetting about the forums is we aren't in a position to share the actual food, like have a potluck meal. Wouldn't that be awesome? I so wish there were some way we could bring everyone together, but I just don't see that happening except here. I so appreciate everyone here, and look forward every day to seeing who has been here and what new has been posted. Love and huggers all around.

I tried every stuffing recipe possible to please my ex and kids, but when I created my own, a mushroom stuffing, they went bananas and demanded I make it every year, and, they had the same reaction to my spinach casserole. Keep in mind that they were not fans of spinach at the time, but loved the casserole. Wow, what a shocker that was. Then there's my famous pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, no bake creamy fudge, rum balls, just to name a few to wet the whistle. We also need to share recipes for leftovers. Turkey, stuffing, and cheese, makes a mean omelet, and even cranberry sauce in it or on top, if you like cranberries. I love them.

Most of my Christmas decorations were stolen many years ago with just about everything else I owned, so I have nothing to display. It was painful losing all of my mother's serving dishes, most of her knickknacks, and my father's train set, with some of the cars being hand made by him. They also had left me an original Monopoly game, but I'm sure it's long been used and trashed by now. Of course the list goes on and on, and I rarely bring the subject up because it brings back the heartache. So, all I can share is family memories and food.

Oh i as well would love to have a potluck meal (i had to google the meaning laugh.gif ) with all of you guys. Im really exited about your pumpkin-pie. Thats something that you will never find here in germany. Also your spinach casserole sounds great! Spinach is great anyway. If you make it yourself out of fresh leaves, thats the best!

I also love cranberries. I made a cookie sort called Florentiners. Insted of cherries, i made em with cranberries and they are great!

Its slices of almond with a lot of honey, sugar and butter and the cranberries, finished with a chocolate bottom. But they have to stay in the fridge. If not, they get to soft.

I love christmas decoration. Im a big fan of gold and glitterie stuff, and thats the time of the year, where i can also put some more of that in my rooms happy.gif

Wilhelm, wish I could make you a pumpkin pie. Do they not have pumpkin in a can in Germany? I'm shocked. My kids think I make the best ever. Probably because I use more spice then most recipes call for...heaping instead of flat. I will post the spinach casserole as soon as I find it. My recipes are a mess.

Everyone who has tasted this crock pot recipe has ranted and raved. It is delicious and easy to make.

Crock Pot, Best Meal Ever

1 block of cream cheese (cut in chunks optional)

2 cans of Italian style diced tomatoes OR

6 vine tomatoes diced (with or without skins) & Italian seasoning

Fresh Spinach bundle or 1 bag (remove stems)

Tortellini with cheese, best to use dry in vacuum packed box

Garlic Power or fresh (chopped fine) if preferred, to taste

1 box or 4 cups of vegetable broth

Place all ingredients in crock pot in order listed. Cook on low for 5-6 hrs, high for 3-4, or until everything is cooked and cream cheese is completely melted

Any meat you add will totally change the flavor, so I suggest serving any meat on the side

Same with any other ingredient, the flavor will change

In place of tortellini, cook pasta or Gnocchi (potato dumplings, I prefer sweet potato) and add to crock pot, only when ready to serve

Italian cheese blend (amount comparable to cheese in tortellini) will need to be added with ingredients, before pouring vegetable broth

• 1 month later...

Beautiful tree, and what I can see of it, beautiful home.

Wonder what the postage would be to send a few cans of pumpkin to Germany from America. Bet it would be a lot since cans are heavy. I might cost less to send an actual pumpkin...LOL

Thanks for the compliment!

Well, thats a nice idea of yours, but i think that wouldnt be worth the effort laugh.gif

I havent checked yet, but maybe i can find some pumpkinpie in a good selected bakery one day... Then i'll let you know how i liked it, but i bet yours would taste better happy.gif