By The Numbers: 7

Rate this topic

Guest Snapper

Pick your favorite  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
The collapse of the Silver bridge in 1967 is true.

https://www.rootsweb.com/~wvmason/pointpleasant/silver.html

Most of the accounts from wittnesses were well documented. I had read John Keel's book which was really convincing. Well... intense anyway.

- more information here.

https://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html

Bonnie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting links. Thank you. I must say I am a tad disappointed. Obviously there is a question as to whether the "mothman" actually exists, but I thought the events of the film were more accurate. In other words, regardless of whether or not people were actually seeing a mysterious creature or something else, I thought the movie was based more closely on actual events and documented sightings. From reading your link, it appears as though the movie, "Mothman Prophesies" was actually a piece of complete fiction, based loosely around a couple of actual events. Like I said, a little disappointing, but the movie is still an incredible masterpiece, and my pick for the best film of 2002. It ranks high on my all time list as well.

Interesting links. Thank you. I must say I am a tad disappointed. Obviously there is a question as to whether the "mothman" actually exists, but I thought the events of the film were more accurate. In other words, regardless of whether or not people were actually seeing a mysterious creature or something else, I thought the movie was based more closely on actual events and documented sightings. From reading your link, it appears as though the movie, "Mothman Prophesies" was actually a piece of complete fiction, based loosely around a couple of actual events. Like I said, a little disappointing, but the movie is still an incredible masterpiece, and my pick for the best film of 2002. It ranks high on my all time list as well

You're welcome, I agree the movie is top notch. Gere seemed to downplay it on some interview shows, prefering to promote his other films. I guess the name Mothman had something to do with it. A shame because it was so well done.

Keel's book was nothing but anecdotes about the occurances, there was no backstory like in the film. It was still very disturbing.

I work nights on an isolated school campus, some 50 acres and during the summer students and staff are gone so I'm alone. One night driving in I spotted two red lights behind one of the buildings. I knew there had to be a rational explaination, I've been here 17 years and know the area well but I couldn't account for it.

Until the morning when I gathered the courage to explore on foot and found an access panel to the cooling towers left ajar. Inside - two red lights on the breaker panel. :doh:

That didn't go in my report .

Sorry to drag this so far OT.

Bonnie

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
You're welcome, I agree the movie is top notch. Gere seemed to downplay it on some interview shows, prefering to promote his other films. I guess the name Mothman had something to do with it. A shame because it was so well done.

Keel's book was nothing but anecdotes about the occurances, there was no backstory like in the film. It was still very disturbing.

I work nights on an isolated school campus, some 50 acres and during the summer students and staff are gone so I'm alone. One night driving in I spotted two red lights behind one of the buildings. I knew there had to be a rational explaination, I've been here 17 years and know the area well but I couldn't account for it.

Until the morning when I gathered the courage to explore on foot and found an access panel to the cooling towers left ajar. Inside - two red lights on the breaker panel.  :doh:

That didn't go in my report .

Sorry to drag this so far OT.

LOL, I'll bet that was pretty spooky. That type of optical illusion can probably account for a very large percentage of U.F.O. or paranormal sightings. Still, it is interesting to watch fictional shows as well as documentaries on the subject. It's funny to watch some of the old eyewitness testimony from the 70s and part of the 80s where you hear people describe a boomerang or V shaped U.F.O. in the sky near Groom Lake or some military installation, and hear them swear up and down that it is not of human origins. Then, of course, with the release of information and photos of the B2 Bomber, it suddenly becomes obvious what all these people have been reporting. If that thing doesn't look like a U.F.O., I don't know what does. I have seen (on TV) and heard of a lot of stuff that does remain unexplained though. In fact, just recently, I saw some pretty amazing footage that was believed to be Champ from lake Champlain. There might be a rational explanation for it, but I can't imagine what it is. I think that was on Discovery or one of those channels.

Bonnie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen (on TV) and heard of a lot of stuff that does remain unexplained though. In fact, just recently, I saw some pretty amazing footage that was believed to be Champ from lake Champlain. There might be a rational explanation for it, but I can't imagine what it is. I think that was on Discovery or one of those channels.

Another new series debuts tonight. 'Surface'.

don't know if it's champ-related. Hope it's better than 'threshold'.

Bonnie

• 7 months later...
Guest MrCox

This vote was a very easy choice for me: "The Curse Of Frank Black". This one of those episodes that introduced me to MM, in a way that I never forgot the images and the mood of this show. It's simply perfect as it incorporates every single aspect of Halloween (trick or treat, ghost stories, the origin of Halloween) in a fascinating character study told in a daring way. This is the first episode that doesn't feature some kind of investigation at all! Without this show MM were not the same!

"Blood Relatives" is very interesting too, as it features one of the rare occasions where Frank and Catherine actually work together to solve a case. There's no way to not feel sorry for James Dickerson, a young man who's only way to recieve some kind of affection is to visit funerals. I think this episode is one of the most pessimist MM ever produced.

"Skull And Bones" has the right dark mood but I fear it doesn't make much sense at all. How could they simply ignore the established story around Cheryl Andrews? Although there were some really horrifying images in this episode the whole plot didn't work for me (and I TRIED to love this show). The worst part is Peter "I look as suspicious as I can" Watts, there nothing left of the guy but a kind of "Cancerman" attitude doing bad things but believing in doing the right thing. (Also a bit irritating is this writer. Embarrassing no one collected the hints in his diary, another proof for these terrible FBI dudes!)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MillenniumIsBliss
This vote was a very easy choice for me: "The Curse Of Frank Black". This one of those episodes that introduced me to MM, in a way that I never forgot the images and the mood of this show. It's simply perfect as it incorporates every single aspect of Halloween (trick or treat, ghost stories, the origin of Halloween) in a fascinating character study told in a daring way. This is the first episode that doesn't feature some kind of investigation at all! Without this show MM were not the same!

"Blood Relatives" is very interesting too, as it features one of the rare occasions where Frank and Catherine actually work together to solve a case. There's no way to not feel sorry for James Dickerson, a young man who's only way to recieve some kind of affection is to visit funerals. I think this episode is one of the most pessimist MM ever produced.

"Skull And Bones" has the right dark mood but I fear it doesn't make much sense at all. How could they simply ignore the established story around Cheryl Andrews? Although there were some really horrifying images in this episode the whole plot didn't work for me (and I TRIED to love this show). The worst part is Peter "I look as suspicious as I can" Watts, there nothing left of the guy but a kind of "Cancerman" attitude doing bad things but believing in doing the right thing. (Also a bit irritating is this writer. Embarrassing no one collected the hints in his diary, another proof for these terrible FBI dudes!)

I really agree with your take on "Curse of Frank Black" and everything you say about it. It really captures the essence of Halloween and the season. Like I probably mentioned before, this is a great episode visually and as far as capturing the mood of Halloween, but was certainly not an example of extraordinary writing, although I did enjoy the Crocell dialogue, and the writing is not bad by a long shot. I do think they got a little carried away with the ACTS bit, especially when Frank gets a dozen letters on the same day, and they are all from organizations with the abbreviations A.C.T.S. That was really pushing it. However, even with the flaws, it remains a favorite and a must watch episode at Halloween time. This episode also benefits greatly from two of the shows constants, great acting by Lance and great music by Mark Snow. The music really captures the mood, along with the great visuals and, of course, Lance nails every script he is given in this series.

Guest betweenthelines

'The Curse of Frank Black' is, without a doubt, the greatest episode out of the three in this poll. I like how it's such an atypical "Millennium" episode. Minimal use of a music score, no serial killers... just a creepy and atmospheric story about ghosts, literal and figurative.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...