Near Dark...

Rate this topic

Guest ___ L@the_of_Heaven___

I just watched 'Near Dark' yesterday for the first time, and ol' Lance was his Evil self all right... : )

He was so thin then (1987) That first shot of him, I think it was on the RV they were riding in when they grabbed the new guy and they were introducing him to the others, it was REALLY striking, the lighting, the way it was angled upward emphasizing the narrow, harsh lines of his face and the way his head was turned downward but he was looking up, VERY, VERY menacing indeed!

I couldn't really get through the rest of the film; I think I quit about halfway through the 'Bar' scene. I could see what other reviewers were talking about (Katherine Bigalow's directorial debut and Eric Red's co-writing) that there was some good atmosphere and mood in a number of parts. I just don't personally care for the laconic, drawn-out VERY casual killing and such. To me, a modern vampire story should either be REAL powerful and dramatic with stylized, quick killings, or it should be lighter weight and entertaining like 'Fright Night' for example. But, this in between laid back killing while there just standing around laughing does absolutely nothing for me. WAAAAAY to slow paced that, to me anyway, effectively kills any true dramatic sense within the scenes. But ol' Lance, he was definitely a BADDIE!!! :yes:

• Elders (Admins)

I liked it too but I'm not sure why people think its the best vampire film of all time (apparently!). I think Lost Boys was good too plus of course the classic black and white ones. Hell I love 'em all! Except for that remake a few years back.

Be sure to check out Hard Target for a very evil Lance!

I liked it too but I'm not sure why people think its the best vampire film of all time (apparently!). I think Lost Boys was good too plus of course the classic black and white ones. Hell I love 'em all! Except for that remake a few years back.

Ah yes, 'Lost Boys' was the all time modern classic as far as I'm concerned; Shumacher did an outstanding job with that one, not to mention the awesome performances by all concerned! The song 'Come Little Sister' to me is still one of the all time moodiest and most fitting movie songs. Now, THIS is an excellent example of a FAR, FAR, FAR better vampire film. MUCH more style and superiour pacing!

I keep reading about 'Hard Target' and I mean to check that out; thanks for the reminder!

i have a special edition of Near Dark on DVD. On the extras i believe Lance talks about losing weight for the role. I think Lance is an actors actor

Ah, I forgot to rip the 'extras'... Shoot, I didn't think that maybe they interviewed Lance in that one. He sure was EVIL looking! : )

Guest Mr Noir

This movie is one of Lance' best! Absolutely! :devil:

His role as Jesse Hooker ist just brilliant!

Here are some pics... :kickin:

jesse_hooker02.jpg

jesse_hooker03.jpg

jesse_hooker04.jpg

Here's a signature I made a few weeks ago. :bigsmile:

jesseh01-sig.jpg

Guest SouthernCelt

I don't know if that many people think it's the "best vampire film of all time" unless they're devout LH fans. Then their opinion is based on the actor not the film/story.

Every time "Near Dark" is mentioned the first thought that leaps to my mind is that it was like a reunion of "Aliens" actors.

This movie is one of Lance' best! Absolutely! :devil:

His role as Jesse Hooker ist just brilliant!

Here are some pics... :kickin:

jesse_hooker02.jpg

jesse_hooker03.jpg

jesse_hooker04.jpg

Here's a signature I made a few weeks ago. :bigsmile:

jesseh01-sig.jpg

Wow! Nice shots from the film Mr. Noir, thanks! :bigsmile:

I like your screen name, BTW Anything with 'Noir' in it, particularly 'Film Noir' is okay by me! :yes:

Hey, I like your signature too! Very nice! :Congrats:

Guest Mr Noir

Thanks, L@the! :rock2:

I loved "Near Dark", but not only cause of Lance. I saw that movie a long time BEFORE I became a fan of Lance. And I loved "ND" since the first time I've seen it.

It's not the typical vampire-movie, no stereotypes, only the danger of the sunlight which kills the vampires. I loved the story, too! But I hated the end. :death: I hate all happy ending in movies like this. :nope: