Songs You'd Have Used in an Episode of MLM...

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

Raven Wolf, it's cut and paste.

Murder in the Red Barn

There was a murder in the red barn

Murder in the red barn

The trees are bending over

The cows are lying down

The autumn's taking over

You can hear the buckshot hounds

The watchman said to Reba the loon

Was it pale at Manzanita

Was it Blind Bob the coon?

Pin it on a drifter

They sleep beneath the bridge

One plays the violin

And sleeps inside a fridge

A murder in the red barn

Someone's crying in the woods

Someone's burying all his clothes

Now Slam the Crank from Wheezer

Slept outside last night and froze

Road kill has its seasons

Just like anything

There's possums in the autumn

And there's farm cats in the spring

A murder in the red barn

Now thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house

Or covet thy neighbor's wife

But for some murder is the only door

Through which they enter life

Now they surrounded the house

They smoked him out and

Took him off in chains

The sky turned black and bruised

And we had months of heavy rains

Now the ravens nest in the rotted roof

Of Chenoweth's old place

And no one's asking Cal

About that scar upon his face

'Cause there's nothin' strange

About an axe with bloodstains in the barn

There's always some killin'

You got to do around the farm

A murder in the red barn

Murder in the red barn

Now the woods will never tell

What sleeps beneath the trees

Or what's buried 'neath a rock

Or hiding in the leaves

'Cause road kill has its seasons

Just like anything

It's possums in the autumn

And it's farm cats in the spring

A murder in the red barn

A murder in the red barn

Now a lady can't do nothin'

Without folks' tongues waggin'

Is that blood on the tree

Or is it autumn's red blaze

When the ground's soft for diggin'

And the rain will bring all this gloom

There's nothing wrong with a lady

Drinkin' alone in her room

But there was a murder in the red barn

A murder in the red barn

A murder in the red barn

A murder in the red barn

-- Tom Waits

Guest A Stranger

I would have used this song in "The Sound of Snow" in place of "Dark End of the Street"

"Cold, Cold Ground"

Crest fallen sidekick in an old cafe

Never slept with a dream before he had to go away

There’s a bell in the tower

Uncle ray bought a round

Don’t worry about the army

In the cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

Now don’t be a cry baby

When there’s wood in the shed

There’s a bird in the chimmney

And a stone in my bed

When the road’s washed out

They pass the bottle around

And wait in the arms

Of the cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

There’s a ribbon in the willow

And a tire swing rope

And a briar patch of berries

Takin over the slope

The cat’ll sleep in the mailbox

And we’ll never go to town

Til we bury every dream in

The cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

Gimme a winchester rifle and a whole box of shells

Blow the roof off the goat barn

Let it roll down the hill

The piano is firewood

Times square is a dream

I find we’ll lay down together in the cold cold ground

Cold cold ground

Cold cold ground

Call the cops on the breedloves

Bring a Bible and a rope

And a whole box of rebel

And a bar of soap

Make a pile of trunk tires

And burn ’em all down

Bring a dollar with you baby

In the cold cold ground

Cold cold ground

In the cold cold ground

Take a weathervane rooster

Throw rocks at his head

Stop talking to the neighbors

Til we all go dead

Beware of my temper

And the dog that I’ve found

Break all the windows in the

Cold cold ground

Cold cold ground

-- Tom Waits

Guest SouthernCelt

I heard this on the radio today...Haven't heard it in a loooong time...and I thought..."Now there's one for Millennium!"  I don't know if anyone's said this one before, but how about....

Werwolves of London, by Warren Zevon :eyebrows_big:

~Raven Wolf3b864780.gif

"RAVEN WOLF" :Ouro_Large:

Zevon was noted for writing dark lyrics to upbeat tunes.  I love his early stuff and his greatest hits album is one of my favorites.  Lines like:

"I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's

His hair was perfect..."

just blow me away.  :rofl:

His darkest song might be "Excitable Boy" about a psycopath.  The gist of the song is that a young man's aberrant behavior is written off as being the antics of an "excitable boy" until he rapes and murders his prom date.  He's sent away to an asylum for the criminally insane until he's declared cured.  When he comes home, the first thing he does is dig up the remains of the girl he killed to make love to the bones.  Very dark commentary on society's unwillingness to recognize and deal with anti-social behavior.

I agree that his lyrics might fit some MLM shows, but I'm not sure the melodies would.  Viewers not familiar with Zevon might not get it.

I agree that his lyrics might fit some MLM shows, but I'm not sure the melodies would.  Viewers not familiar with Zevon might not get it.

Ahhh...but that was the beauty that was Millennium...either you "get it" or you don't.  For the one's that "got it", the obscurity made it all the more a beautiful discovery... a revelation, if you will... An "ah-ha" moment.  And, for the rest, it sent you on a quest to try to understand...to comprehend...And, in the search... the beauty was revealed to them.  I LOVE t.v. that makes you think.... :thinking_big:

~Raven Wolf :Ouro_Large:  :xmas_ouro:

.......i think a better tom waits song for S3-MM,for me anyway,would be a song on the same album: "COME ON UP TO THE HOUSE". i love the line where he sings/scratches "Come on down off the cross,we could use the wood,you got to come on up...to the house."      not to mention his version of "get behind the mule".                 very dark,bluesy,moody vivid,brilliant stuff. perfect for MM.

~se7en :ouro:  :santa2:

Guest A Stranger

Seven, niether of the songs I lister are Mule Variations like "Get Behind the Mule" and "Come on up to the House" but that's okay, I don't expect everyone ot be an obsessive Tom Waits fan.  :wink_big:

Yeah, lots of his work is filled with dark, sentimental, religious overtones that I think would have fit MM. "Hold On", from Mule Variations has one of my all time favorite lines...

By the Riverside Motel,

by a 99 cent store

she close her eyes and started swaying

but it's so hard to dance that way

when it's cold

and there's no music

but in inside your head

there's a record that's playing

a song called "Hold On"

The thing that's even more amazing those lyrics is that there are based on something Wait's young daugher had said. When there outside and saw a transvestite dancing outside she said "it must be hard to dance like that when there's no music" and that birthed that song.

Seven, niether of the songs I lister are Mule Variations like "Get Behind the Mule" and "Come on up to the House" but that's okay, I don't expect everyone ot be an obsessive Tom Waits fan.  :wink_big:

Yeah, lots of his work is filled with dark, sentimental, religious overtones that I think would have fit MM. "Hold On", from Mule Variations has one of my all time favorite lines...

By the Riverside Motel,

by a 99 cent store

she close her eyes and started swaying

but it's so hard to dance that way

when it's cold

and there's no music

but in inside your head

there's a record that's playing

a song called "Hold On"

The thing that's even more amazing those lyrics is that there are based on something Wait's young daugher had said. When there outside and saw a transvestite dancing outside she said "it must be hard to dance like that when there's no music" and that birthed that song.

....i only have about 5-6-of his albums. i always knew "of" him but didn't really listen until "HOLD ON" came out and then i went and bought the "MULE VARIATIONS" album-(CD!!-whatever)-and i virtually never buy a record based on 1-song i like. but this record is just fantastic.  i literally cannot play it in my truck-(where i do 98% of my music playing) unless it's fall/winter and downcast.  i play it almost obsesively when i'm,well,depressed myself.    ...i don't like as much his work based on that german(?) play or plays he did.  i much prefer his earth-cracked blues and spoken word work,like "WHAT'S HE BUILDING".  It seems that he and Brennan(?)  just write perfectly together.    ...so based on my somewhat limited knowledge of waits i still have to say that whether i actually like the song or not almost everything that he has written on the 5-6-albums i own are is just amazing.   i often think he would make a good novelist to be honest. -(he's also a fine actor as well,he was wickedly good in "Bram Stoker's Dracula".).

but my first exposure to Tom Waits was "mule variations" so that's why i often think of MM,and it's themes/tones,etc. when i play his music,and/or vice versa.   i was bummed last year because i bought his 2-""NEW" albums that came out simultaneously,only to find out that the songs were written almost 10-years ago!   i guess i just wanted to see what he would natuarally come out with,or prgress from "Mule Variations".      .....since i have no doubt you are an obsessive Waits fan i'll ask you: Have you heard of any upcoming new release with all new material in the future?

~HAPPY HOLIDAYS,

se7en,        :ouro:  :santa2:

Guest A Stranger

Yes I have heard news! Eptiaph/Anti, the label he's on now says a new album is schelduled for a March 2004 release date and rumors say a spring/summer tour of that year.

I really loved both the release from last year. "Alice" was written and recorded about a decade ago and there have been unofficial bootlegs for long time but this was the first official release. I LOVE THIS ALBUM. It takes a while to grow on you though. Blood Money is great as well. The Black Rider which was the other play/score was a collaberation with the same guy as the aforementioned albums, Robert Wilson and Beat legent William S. Burroughs. That album is weird as hell! And a little uneven, not his best.

Yeah Tom Waits has gone through some HUGE changes from his first album Closing Time, to put it mildly.

Around the time he met and married his wife Kathleen Brennan, he left his record label and manager and she incouraged him to just go as far as he was afraid to on earlier records which turned into "Swordfishtrombones." That was the beginning of his "trahscan percussion" sound.

• 4 months later...
Guest ignes fatuisi

judgement, by anathema

the inequity of fate

the pains of love and hate

the heart-sick memories

that brought you to your knees

and the times when we were young

when life seemed so long

day after day

you burned it all away

all the hate that feeds your needs