Halloween

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

Hi all,

pic207bl_small.jpg

Halloween is almost upon us and for me this really makes me want to watch "The Curse Of Frank Black" for obvious reasons, but also because its my favourite episode of MillenniuM. My son Michael, age 9 will be coming over and I'll be taking him trick or treating for the first time in his life. His mother won't let him have a laugh at Halloween becasue its "worshipping the Devil". He's been very upset about this in the past becasue all of his friends get dressed up and have parties etc. So now its "Better the Legion" you know and I get to earn some free brownie points! :devil01:

Anyway, apart from TV, what are you guys planning for Halloween? Me I'll be settling back to watch "TCOFB" about 11pm on the 31st.

Don't forget to get your entries in for the competition by the way, doesn't anyone want this fantastic prize?

Click here for a short clip from TCOFB to get you in the mood...

Millennium: Legion -The Curse Of Frank Black

legion_tcofb_thumb.jpg

Size: 2.16MB Duration: 0 M 17 S

Video Bitrate: Windows Media Video 9 1000Kbps Dimension: 640x480

Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio 9 64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo 2-pass VBR

https://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/Downloa....n-1.wmv

Graham 268.

Guest amnesic
hmmm....i hate that people mistake pagan rituals and festivals for devil worshipping.  Samhain is an old pagan festival that the christians hijacked - which is especially ridiculous given that pagans don't believe in the devil. Don't christians realise that many of their own festivals and rituals are originally based on old pagan traditions? I hope your son enjoys hallowe'en.

Guest LauraKrycek
Yay for TCOFB!  Fantastic ep.  But I never noticed that that demon's kind of drumming on the post-thing.  Weird.  I always just noticed that he was swaying and looking creepy.  This is the one ep I've ever watched with any of my friends (an ex-friend, when I was in high school, to be exact), and when the demon would pop up, she'd scream.  I was like, fool, it's a dude in a costume!  Sheesh.

Graham,

I, too, am glad that your son will finaly get to have fun on Halloween.  I, too, have studied the true origions of Halloween, and find it unthinkable that anyone in the 21st century can forbid a child of having fun on what has become a kids holiday...simply 'cause of their own narrow-mindedness.

Your son's lucky to have you as a father.

Now, as for my plans for Halloween....I'll probably dress up as something creepy (shouldn't be too hard...look what I have to work with...lol :p ) and try yet again to actualy get trick-or-treaters to come here.  In the 29 years we've lived here, the only time we've had trick-or-treaters was last year, and that was only because I called the local radio station, on the live show where people advertise yard sales and such, and begged for trick-or-treaters!  I live in a creepy old house, and I think everybody's scared of it.  After that, I'll sit down to my first annual viewing of "The Curse of Frank Black" on DVD-R!  WOO-HOO!  Maybe light a bunch of candles....turn the lights out...should be cool.  If my boyfriend didn't have to work, I'd subject HIM to it, too! :wink_big:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! :devil01:  :frank_black:

Sadly, I don't carve pumpkins and never have.   So I will not be entering the contest.    I will try to watch the Curse of Frank Black (but the new Forever Knight Trilogy Part 1 DVD set calls to me).

happy halloween everyone.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

:Owls_Ouro_Large:  :Ouro_Large:

Guest LauraKrycek
Sadly, I don't carve pumpkins and never have.   So I will not be entering the contest.

I've never carved a pumpkin either.  I feel so deprived.  If I had the time, I'd try to do one just for the contest, but

1)  I don't own a pumpkin

2)  I don't own a knife or even knife-like object (I do have some cheapo scissors I use as utility scissors, but that's the closest thing)

3)  Je n'ai pas le temps!  I have absolutely no time between now and the deadline.

Oh well... maybe they'll have another contest next year with enough prior warning to get something together.  As it is, I'm up past my ears in stuff to do until midnight tomorrow, which cumulates into our showing of Rocky Horror at the theatre.  Quite exciting.  But I'm sequinning a shirt for Columbia, and it's not half-done!  Eep!  Less than 24 hours to go, and homework between!

On a brighter note, I'm told that my boss's fabric run to Lexington today was very lucrative and that she brought back some fantastic gorgeous fabric for my costume as Queen Elizabeth in Richard III in the spring, so I'm going to try to get up superduper early so I can get some work done and go by the theatre at 8 to look at it.  YAY I'm so excited WOOO!

• Elders (Admins)

Whatever you are doing, have a great Halloween!

The Story of Halloween

Halloween is one of the oldest holidays with origins going back thousands of years. The holiday we know as Halloween has had many influences from many cultures over the centuries. From the Roman's Pomona Day, to the Celtic festival of Samhain, to the Christian holidays of All Saints and All Souls Days.

Hundreds of years ago in what is now Great Britain and Northern France, lived the Celtics. The Celtics worshipped nature  and had many gods, with the sun god as their favorite. It was "he" who commanded their work and their rest times, and who made the earth beautiful and the crops grow.

The Celtics celebrated their New Year on November 1st. It was celebrated every year with a festival and marked the end of the "season of the sun" and the beginning of "the season of darkness and cold."

The Celtics believed, that during the winter, the sun god was taken prisoner by Samhain, the Lord of the Dead and Prince of Darkness.

On the eve before their new year (October 31), it was believed that Samhain called together all the dead people. The dead would take different forms, with the bad spirits taking the form of animals. The most evil taking the form of cats.

On October 31st after the crops were all harvested and stored for the long winter the cooking fires in the homes would be  extinguished. The Druids, the Celtic priests, would meet in the hilltop in the dark oak forest (oak trees were considered sacred). The Druids would light new fires and offer sacrifices of crops and animals. As they danced around the fires, the season of the sun passed and the season of darkness would begin.

When the morning arrived the Druids would give an ember from their fires to each family who would then take them home to start new cooking fires. These fires would keep the homes warm and free from evil spirits.

The November 1st festival was named after Samhain and honored both the sun god and Samhain. The festival would last for 3 days. Many people would parade in costumes made from the skins and heads of their animals. This festival would become the first Halloween.

During the first century the Romans invaded Britain. They brought with them many of their festivals and customs. One of these was the festival known as Pomona Day, named for their goddess of fruits and gardens. It was also celebrated around the 1st of November. After hundreds of years of Roman rule the customs of the Celtic's Samhain festival and the Roman Pomona Day mixed becoming one major fall holiday.

The next influence came with the spread of the new Christian religion throughout Europe and Britain. In the year 835 AD the Roman Catholic Church would make November 1st a church holiday to honor all the saints. This day was called All Saint's Day, or Hallowmas, or All Hallows. Years later the Church would make November 2nd a holy day. It was called All Souls Day and was to honor the dead. It was celebrated with big bonfires, parades, and people dressing up as saints, angels and devils.

But the spread of Christianity did not make people forget their early customs. On the eve of All Hallows, October 31, people continued to celebrate the festival of Samhain and Pomona  Day. Over the years the customs from all these holidays mixed. October 31st became known as All Hallow Even, eventually All Hallow's Eve, Hallowe'en, and then - Halloween.

The Halloween we celebrate today includes all of these influences, Pomona Day's apples, nuts, and harvest, the Festival of Samhain's black cats, magic, evil spirits and death, and the ghosts, skeletons and skulls from All Saint's Day and All Soul's Day.

Oh well... maybe they'll have another contest next year with enough prior warning to get something together.  As it is, I'm up past my ears in stuff to do until midnight tomorrow, which cumulates into our showing of Rocky Horror at the theatre.  Quite exciting.  But I'm sequinning a shirt for Columbia, and it's not half-done!  Eep!  Less than 24 hours to go, and homework between!

On a brighter note, I'm told that my boss's fabric run to Lexington today was very lucrative and that she brought back some fantastic gorgeous fabric for my costume as Queen Elizabeth in Richard III in the spring, so I'm going to try to get up superduper early so I can get some work done and go by the theatre at 8 to look at it.  YAY I'm so excited WOOO!

Hopefully, they will give more notice for next year's contest (if they have one).

Have fun as Queen Elizabeth.   have you seen the movie Richard III starring Ian McKellan and Annette Benning.   Richard III is set during the 1930s in the movie.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest Wellington

Hi

I am also prepared for Halloween, despite my not wanting to. Given the fact that I left the office at 3 am, all I saw in the mirror when I got up was some kind of living dead. Quite a successfull effect, take my word on it.

Or I may enter the pumpkin contest with a self-portrait and an orange photoshop filter. That could do as well, but would definitely be unfair competition for the other entries... :wink_big:

Regards

Guest LauraKrycek
Hopefully, they will give more notice for next year's contest (if they have one).

Have fun as Queen Elizabeth.   have you seen the movie Richard III starring Ian McKellan and Annette Benning.   Richard III is set during the 1930s in the movie.

Yeah, I hope so, too.  I've seen that version of the movie a few times.  It's great, though they totally butcher the script.  And the building that they use for the battle scene is actually smack dab in the middle of London, and we passed it every day when we were there.  And I saw the fabric today, and it IS wonderful!  The fabric that they bought for me was nearly $100 for all of it, it's so fancy.

And LOL Wellington... I'll cheer you on!