The Real Millennium - Turning of 2000

Rate this topic

Bardo Thodol

• Elders (Admins)

I was in work that night on the MillenniuM Eve and although I had no aspirations or even thought I would be one day running a MillenniuM site or two I was thinking about the show. Between 0000 and 0100 the mobile phone networks crashed due to heavy load rather than Y2K. Hell it was work or climbing into an iron lung in a hotel room in Pocatello, Idaho.

I can't recall if it was the BBC or ITV in the UK but one of the channels had a special show with a big computer screen ready to map all the Y2K disasters across the whole world. Then there were none. D'Oh!

Some people made some major moolah out of that all right.

I guess it never happened because Frank kicked those Zombie's ass and Dr Who saved us all. Oh my....

The Time Was Near.

Guest The Roosters
<font color='#000000'>I am just curious what the real millennium was like for people outside of their appreciation for the show, and associations of the real millennium to the show.  What was it like for you?  Was it special, or just another New Years?  Was their as certain anticipation, fear, axiety, feeling of new beginnings, transformation, etc?  What really struck you the most about it?  What were you feelings and impressions comming up to the millennium?  What did you enjoy about it most? Etc Etc Etc... I think you get the idea.  Again, please try to separate you appreciation and association of the show with the real millennium.  I know this may be hard, but please give it a try.  And, if you just can separate it, then just tell us about your experience in light of this.</font>

I was in Las Vegas so it wasn't bad for me. :smokin:

Guest SouthernCelt

Looking back, I can't remember what I was doing or thinking other than ranting that Jan. 1, 2000, was NOT the first year of a new, third millennium, it was the last year of the second millennium. For any of you that don't get me -- a millennium is 1000 years; since there was no year zero, the year 2000 had to pass before the first year of the next millennium could begin.

True, Y2K type issues (computer date functions) showed up in 2000 but that was a totally manmade problem. Nothing spiritual or metaphysical there.

On the metaphysical side, if the beginning of the new millennium was the trigger for any series of events to begin, I couldn't see where it would commence until January 1, 2001. And, since we can only surmise based on our individual beliefs what events, literal or symbolic, were or could have been triggered simply by the arrival of the first year of the third millenium, we still cannot know what the future holds.

Somber stuff, I know, but I don't really know how to lighten up this topic. :no:

Guest LauraKrycek

Wow, it just occurred to me that, counting the 99-00 change, there have been *five* new year's now since that. Gah! Am I really getting that old? Has it really been that long? And *how*?!?

Well, at the very least, I'm very glad to have made it to a new one. Happy new year, everybody!

Yep, I agree that Jan 1, 2001 is the beginning of the new Millennium and not Jan 1, 2000. Anyway, I remembered I was watching all the New Year's celebrations from round the world on TV on December 31, 1999. Also I happened to watch some of the Millennium episodes on the two day marathon of Millennium on FX (Dec 31, 1999 and Jan 1, 2000). It was very cold on Dec 31, 1999 as a cold front followed by snow came into Northwest Montana.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

:ouro::ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek
Amazing, they give MillenniuM a two day marathon yet doubt its viable for a DVD Release!

Well, it's FOX\FX, go figure. Seems to me they only wanted to keep the show on b\c it was named Millennium, but it wasn't actually the new millennium yet, so they just wanted to capitalize on that everyone was caught up in new-millennium-frenzy, and they thought maybe some people would tune in based on the name. I don't know. They had one good move there, but now it's been so long since they had a good one, you'd think they'd gone out of style.

Amazing, they give MillenniuM a two day marathon yet doubt its viable for a DVD Release!

Hell, gra, FX even did a Millennium marathon leading up to the premiere of the XF episode "Millennium" on FOX. they showed Millennium 5 days a week at 1 am PT/2 am MT (so usually I had to tape it and watch the show when I got up) and then a weekend version at 10/11 pm. In the end, they were showing Millennium at 1/2 am 7 days a week on FX before tehy stopping Millennium (except for midnight of the Century later that year when they stopped doing daily repeats).

be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest LauraKrycek
Hell, gra, FX even did a Millennium marathon leading up to the premiere of the XF episode "Millennium" on FOX.

That's one of the things that made me hate the crossover ep so much, too. Watching Frank all day long (and seeing the last series ender for the first time) made me really in tune with him, so I hated M&S when they were all *themselves* like always. If they were treating some random dude like they were treating him, they'd just be XF, but since they *were* treating him that way, they were jackasses. Plain and simple.

I can recall spending a wonderful time staying in with a close friend, a perfect and intimate end/start to the respective millenniums... and that's all I'll say! I also wachted a few re-runs of taped epiosdes over that period, but whilst it was a special time for personal reasons, I'd concur with Jose Chung that, in the grand scheme of things, we're all set for another "one thousand years of the same old crap."

:devil01: