The Real Millennium - Turning of 2000

Rate this topic

Bardo Thodol

I am just curious what the real millennium was like for people outside of their appreciation for the show, and associations of the real millennium to the show.  What was it like for you?  Was it special, or just another New Years?  Was their as certain anticipation, fear, axiety, feeling of new beginnings, transformation, etc?  What really struck you the most about it?  What were you feelings and impressions comming up to the millennium?  What did you enjoy about it most? Etc Etc Etc... I think you get the idea.  Again, please try to separate you appreciation and association of the show with the real millennium.  I know this may be hard, but please give it a try.  And, if you just can separate it, then just tell us about your experience in light of this.

Guest LauraKrycek
What I remember most about the millennium was watching eps in my room with lots of candles lit and that, when I was cleaning my room the next fall to move to college, I found a whole bunch of containers of water that I'd stashed there -- just in case.  I was a little antsy, because no one really knew what was going to happen, and I was a little afraid of TEOTWAWKI.  Other than that, I was cool -- home with my family, just where I'd want to be if I discovered it was TEOTWAWKI.

I watched all kinds of New Years celebrations froma round teh world on TV on Dec 31st and watched some Millennium episodes during the two day Millennium marathon FX was showing.  Other than that, I think it as very cold and just about to snow (or it was snowing).

Be SeeIng You,

David Blackwell

(who thinks he needs to start up again his private offline journal)

Guest Wellington

Hi

I suppose it was a bit disappointing for me. I was not expecting some kind of End anyway, but I kept hoping for something to happen, even on a tiny scale. And Yeltsin's resignation was not what I mean at all! :wink_big:

December 1999 was a bit special in France. Instead of the excitement prior to the celebrations, we were just out of a huge windy tempest. It was so violent that even in Paris people died from debris falling from the roofs (even chimneys). Many families were left cleaning, and some towns decided to cancel the celebrations, if I recall correctly.

Like every 31st of December, I like to go to bed early. In fact I like to be alone, not with people waiting near the clock to kiss everyone else happy new year. That year I started my computer a few minutes before midnight, just to be able to say later that I did it. I really did not care! My girlfriend-to-be called me from Quebec then, as she was watching the celebrations in Paris on tv (and I was not, it was sooo futile to me). Then I woke up at six am to call her and give her my wishes as her clock ticked midnight.

I was a bit upset by the campaign about the millennium computer bug that would send planes crashing, etc... It was really ridiculous except for those who made lots of money with it. I received e-mails where I worked at that time for updating machine tools software! Amazing! Just try and imagine that a digital drill would crash with that day change! Great peril indeed... I was more afraid for assurance and bank workers who could have been screwed up in their files and contracts, but hell! they had a confirmed job for weeks after that! :plain_big:

Regards

",,,,,and Yeltsin's resignation was not what i meant at all!"

:eyes: - :laugh_big: - :sunglasses_big:

...yeah,me neither! :smokin:

~se7en :ouro:

• 1 month later...

What i reemember from the months that preced the new year of 2000 was all work because the y2k bug. This includes new year's eve in witch i had to be on duty at work. In my mind was always present the last eps of the second season of Millennium, specialy the image when Frank looks at Catherine's pillow full of blood.