Hoc est qui sumus.

Guest udobald

Guest udobald

Hi, I'm a Belgian Millennium fan and season 2 is by far my favorite season which is why I recently bought the DVD box and watched it again. I love the mythology and the addition of Kristen Cloke was great. I'm also a fan of Space Above & Beyond and still await a region 2 release.

I was wondering why the transcript of the episode The Hand of Saint Sebastian does not show what they actually say in the beginnning, but only the English translation. Does anyone know if 'Hoc est qui sumus' is what they say and is it Latin or vulgar Italian as the writer of the transcript claims.

Excellent forum site by the way.

Guest SouthernCelt

Welcome to TIWWA! Glad to see another Season 2 fan joining; we're a bit outnumbered by the Season 1 fans here so we need all the S2 lovers we can get.

As you're looking about the board, go to the poll on Owls and Roosters and vote for which you'd be.

• Elders (Moderators)

Hi, and welcome to the boards! :hiya:

Does anyone know if 'Hoc est qui sumus' is what they say and is it Latin or vulgar Italian as the writer of the transcript claims.

I'm not an expert, but pretty sure that they do say just that, and it sounds like Latin. Then again, Vulgar Italian and Latin are very close to each other, so it's hard to say.

Guest betweenthelines
and season 2 is by far my favorite season which is why I recently bought the DVD box and watched it again. I love the mythology and the addition of Kristen Cloke was great. I'm also a fan of Space Above & Beyond and still await a region 2 release

I've never seen "S:A&B" but I do agree that Kristen Cloke was a welcome addition to the "Millennium" cast. I'm glad to see that you enjoy Season 2, especially since it's also my favorite season.

Welcome to the board!

• Elders (Moderators)

Welcome, udobald.

I've changed the transcript. I'm also sure you're right about what they say. As dontbesodark says, vulgar Latin and Italian are very similar. There's increasing doubt that people during the time of the Roman Republic/Empire actually spoke Latin the way it's written down. Language experts that I've read have put forward the view that when Rome started to become a powerful city, the upper-class people decided that Latin should be as glorious a language as Greek (which was at one time the most exalted language in the western world). They modelled the structure of Latin according to the structure of Greek. So what they ended up with was something of an artificial language. Undoubtedly very few ordinary people would have had sufficient education to be able to cope with the various word-endings etc, so what they spoke was the vulgar version, which eventually ended up as the various more recent Romance languages, especially Italian.

My knowledge of Latin is pretty rusty but I'm trying to understand what they're saying in that opening scene. I'll have to dust off my Latin books but they may not be of much help if the producers didn't want the characters to be speaking perfect Latin.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Hi, I'm a Belgian Millennium fan and season 2 is by far my favorite season which is why I recently bought the DVD box and watched it again. I love the mythology and the addition of Kristen Cloke was great. I'm also a fan of Space Above & Beyond and still await a region 2 release.

I was wondering why the transcript of the episode The Hand of Saint Sebastian does not show what they actually say in the beginnning, but only the English translation. Does anyone know if 'Hoc est qui sumus' is what they say and is it Latin or vulgar Italian as the writer of the transcript claims.

Hi udobald, it looks like we have a lot in common. First of all, I am partially bald, although I don't know if that has anything to do with your screen name. :oneeyedwinK Second, I am a huge fan of season two, and it is my favorite as well. Third, I also loved the mythology, and Kristin Cloke was not only a great addition, but Lara is probably even my second favorite character, after Frank. Fourth, while I am not actually from Belgium, my Grand parents are directly from there, and we have frequent visits from our Belgian family members. Anyways, welcome to the board. If you are a fan of Millennium, finding this forum is like striking gold. :yes:

Guest Moriarty

Hi Udobalt and welcome to TIWWA. I am also from Belgium. Where exactly do you live? And MIB is right: for Millennium fans these boards are like gold. :yes:

Guest udobald
Hi udobald, it looks like we have a lot in common. First of all, I am partially bald, although I don't know if that has anything to do with your screen name. :oneeyedwinK

Thanks to all members for their welcome.

"bald" in udobald is Germanic for the English "bold" My alias was the name of my first Australian terrier.