X-Files help

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

I like 'The Rain King' as well. I think it has one of Mark Snow's best scores, and I think the part where Mulder and Scully are swaying side by side at the high school reunion was so funny. The end is a bit too sentimental for my tastes, but it fits with the mood of the episode.

Guest ZeusFaber
I have to confess, I would be moping the floor with the Forth Horseman if somebody turned on this episode. Triangle is to me what Owls and Roosters is to you.... well, I don't dislike it that much, but it just didn't work for me at all.

Wow. I really am very surprised to hear that. I never thought anyone could have that kind of reaction to it. I guess you learn something new every day. Still knocked-out by that though!

Guest ZeusFaber
I like 'The Rain King' as well. I think it has one of Mark Snow's best scores

I don't recall a lot of score work in that episode. It was mostly source music, wasn't it?

Guest Laurent.

Wow, apparently I don't spend enough time here. Every time I come back this topic as grown a few more pages.

Here's my random opinion on some of the episodes discussed here:

Rain King: I thought the directing (Kim Manners?) had a great "Tim Burton"esque feel to it. The story was as fun and entertaining as Valentine's day stories can get.

Triangle: One of the best "different" episode of the series with Post-Modern Prometheus. Even the scenes that could have been boring were done AMAZINGLY well (thinking of the whole scene of Scully running around in the FBI). The commentary on this episode is worth the time if any of you haven't heard it yet.

Terms of Endearment: it was cool as long as you don't take it too seriously (like most of season 6).

Drive: I'm surprise to see that 4th didn't like this one. I thought it was very entertaining, fun and a bit scary. What did you guys think of it?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Wow. I really am very surprised to hear that. I never thought anyone could have that kind of reaction to it. I guess you learn something new every day. Still knocked-out by that though!

Well, I think I might have misrepresented my opinion of it by comparing it to the way you feel about Owls and Roosters. I don't think is was a terrible episode, or even bad, but I do find it to be middle of the road as far as season 6 goes. In looking at the X-files episode guide that I go to, it looks like the fans gave it a good score, but not a standout score, and I usually pretty much agree with the rankings. It just isn't one that I would list among the great episodes on S6.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Wow, apparently I don't spend enough time here. Every time I come back this topic as grown a few more pages.

Here's my random opinion on some of the episodes discussed here:

Rain King: I thought the directing (Kim Manners?) had a great "Tim Burton"esque feel to it. The story was as fun and entertaining as Valentine's day stories can get.

Triangle: One of the best "different" episode of the series with Post-Modern Prometheus. Even the scenes that could have been boring were done AMAZINGLY well (thinking of the whole scene of Scully running around in the FBI). The commentary on this episode is worth the time if any of you haven't heard it yet.

Terms of Endearment: it was cool as long as you don't take it too seriously (like most of season 6).

Drive: I'm surprise to see that 4th didn't like this one. I thought it was very entertaining, fun and a bit scary. What did you guys think of it?

me too! last time I checked this thread we were talking about season 8!

Rain King: When I first watched this episode when it originally aired I was 13 (!) and loved every minute of it. Especially all the Mulder and Scully 'flirtation' moments. But I watched it again recently and I thought some of the character reactions were a little OTT.

It's a great story though!! very interesting episode, and it is very funny in parts (the part where the cow lands on the trailer/house always gets me for some reason.. ooh and that one cheerleader that plays to welcome mulder and scully. haha classic! :kickin: ) but if I were to watch it in a random marathon, say comparing it to eariler episodes, it almost feels like another show entierly. not a bad show, just a much brighter tone and mood. though like you say it was a valentines special wasn't it :tasty:

Triangle: Scully's FBI sequence is phenominal! didn't they do all that in one take? the split screen was really great too, am I right in thinking this was the Hitchcock inspired episode??

Terms Of Endearment: The story of this one I thought was really good! I loved the twist where they were both in the same position, both devils (?) only she wanted a devil baby and he wanted a human baby. neither could get what they wanted (until the end) Ironic.

Drive: I find drive really entertaining, though a lot of the episode is shot in the same way because its mostly in a car and I find it quite lengthy at times.

Guest Laurent.

Still talking about Triangle?

You have to admit a few things about this episode:

1-The jokes were great.

2-The directing was amazing especially considering that it's on a show with a 8 days per episode shooting schedule. It was a risky challenge and they pulled it off. Like I said in my earlier post, it makes simple narrative scenes look incredible.

3- The atmosphere was very special. The contrast between the FBI, the stormy outside of the boat, the dark engine room and the festive ballroom made it even better.

A well done episode and a testament to the talent of the cast and crew.

Guest Laurent.
Triangle: Scully's FBI sequence is phenominal! didn't they do all that in one take? the split screen was really great too, am I right in thinking this was the Hitchcock inspired episode??

You're right! The episode was filmed in the style of Alfred Hitchcock's 1948 film Rope.. with four 15 minutes long continuous scenes. The FBI sequence had to be shot in one take so the crew was redecorating the stage to make it look like a different floor when Scully was in the elevator!

Guest ZeusFaber

Actually, there were a few cuts disguised in that sequence, as indeed there were in every act, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's still an amazing feat by everyone involved amongst the cast and crew, as I mentioned earlier.

Guest Laurent.
Actually, there were a few cuts disguised in that sequence, as indeed there were in every act, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's still an amazing feat by everyone involved amongst the cast and crew, as I mentioned earlier.

Right, I remember some clearly identifiable cuts; like when we first enter the ballroom and the camera heads into a curtain. Yet I don't remember any in the FBI scene... and the commentary truly made it sound like they had to do it all in one take. I guess they surely had to cut before the scene in the garage with the Lone Gunmen's VW van