X-Files help

Rate this topic

Regarding the mythology: I don't think you're supposed to be certain about anything at this point in the series.

Regarding The Calusari: After the first viewing I also thought it was one of the best stand alone episodes. But now I have lowered is rank quite a lot I think. Still, a good frightening episode! I think it was one of the first ones I saw when I was a kid (maybe 9 years old).

OK everyone...its been quite for sometime now on this thread..time to stir it up a bit...am now just starting S5...my sojurn has brought me many, many wonderful episodes...however...i just ran into a very, very strange epi that i want your feedback on..

"The Modern Day Prometheus"

give me your thoughts..

4th Horseman..

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
OK everyone...its been quite for sometime now on this thread..time to stir it up a bit...am now just starting S5...my sojurn has brought me many, many wonderful episodes...however...i just ran into a very, very strange epi that i want your feedback on..

give me your thoughts..

4th Horseman..

Yes, very strange indeed. It's kind of like "Home" in a way, it's a great episode, but at the same time it's hard to say I loved watching it. I don't remember many of the details, but that's an episode that sticks with you for a while after you are done watching it. It also changes the way you feel about the Cher song forever. I really loved the song, but now I get a creepy image in my head on the rare occasion that I hear it. One thing I will give it is that it has an original and unique look and feel to it. It was masterfully done, but not one that I often find myself longing to watch, and if I had S5 on disc, it isn't one I would be wearing out. That weird looking creature would have really creeped me out when I was a kid, but I'm pretty desensitized to that kind of thing now. I remember really being creeped out and almost afraid to look when "The Elephant Man" with Anthony Hopkins was first on TV. The episode is a credit to the X-files. The show really went in a lot of directions and continued to come up with some creepy, disturbing, unique and interesting stuff on a regular basis.

Yes, very strange indeed. It's kind of like "Home" in a way, it's a great episode, but at the same time it's hard to say I loved watching it. I don't remember many of the details, but that's an episode that sticks with you for a while after you are done watching it. It also changes the way you feel about the Cher song forever. I really loved the song, but now I get a creepy image in my head on the rare occasion that I hear it. One thing I will give it is that it has an original and unique look and feel to it. It was masterfully done, but not one that I often find myself longing to watch, and if I had S5 on disc, it isn't one I would be wearing out. That weird looking creature would have really creeped me out when I was a kid, but I'm pretty desensitized to that kind of thing now. I remember really being creeped out and almost afraid to look when "The Elephant Man" with Anthony Hopkins was first on TV. The episode is a credit to the X-files. The show really went in a lot of directions and continued to come up with some creepy, disturbing, unique and interesting stuff on a regular basis.
MIB...thanks for the input...guess i am just stupid, but is the Cher reference a nod to "Mask"???....black and white a tribute to the origional Frankenstein movie??? The "monster" also reminded me of "The Elephant Man" with John Hurt...very articulate, caring, etc.....

4th Horseman..

Guest Laurent.

I think it's an intelligent homage to Frankenstein and old monster-movies; all in black and white, stereotypic characters... I especially loved how the look of each villager was based on a different animal and when we heard thunder strikes each time the mad scientist said a dramatic line when we first met him. A fun, intelligent, different and entertaining episode. One of my all time favorites in the "funny, bizarre and different" category.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
MIB...thanks for the input...guess i am just stupid, but is the Cher reference a nod to "Mask"???....black and white a tribute to the origional Frankenstein movie??? The "monster" also reminded me of "The Elephant Man" with John Hurt...very articulate, caring, etc.....

4th Horseman..

Oh, I forgot about "Mask". That actually fits right into the conversation. But, what I was actually referring to was the song by Cher that was played in the episode. I think it was called "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore". I think the black and white was a tribute to the original Frankenstein as you say. I had forgotten that John Hurt was the Elephant man. It has been a long time sense I watched that one.

Guest ZeusFaber

4th,

"The Post-Modern Prometheus" is one of it my all-time favourite episodes of The X-Files, perhaps my most favourite. I think it's a spectacular work, brilliantly conceived, written and shot.

As has already been identified, it's an homage to both Mary Shelley's original text and James Whale's movies, but also works on so many levels beyond that. The idea of postmodernity, of acknowledging that Mulder and Scully are themselves fictional characters in a fictional universe is all played on brilliantly, from the very beginning with the episode framed as a comic book ("The Great Mutato: Collector's Edition!") to the end where the shot of Mulder and Scully dancing is transmogrified into a comic-book drawing.

There's just so much to enjoy and disect upon multiple viewings, as well as the obvious in that it is just a damned funny and effective monster yarn and a witty self-commentary on what The X-Files can be.

I heartily recommend that you also listen to Chris Carter's audio commentary provided on the DVD.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

give me your thoughts..

4th Horseman..

PS, this thread is reminding me how long it has been sense I have seen TPMDP and many other X-files episodes. I see you are on season 5. Is it safe to say that you have been buying all of the seasons on DVD as you go? That would be a great collection to have. I keep being tempted, but something else keeps coming up, most recently Twin Peaks. One day I might just buy the whole X-files series and be done with it. By the way, you are really cruising through the series, how many episodes are you watching per day?

Guest lonegungrrly1121

give me your thoughts..

4th Horseman..

I think It's a brilliant episode. They did somethine a little special to commemorate the 100th episode, and it was one of those things that could have worked brilliantly, or gone horribly wrong. thankfully it worked well! I love its quirkiness, and it is a refreshing break, seen as season 5 is very angsty in parts.

I think it's also quite special that Chris Owens (who plays Jeffery Spender) was actually the actor underneath all that makeup.