X-Files help

Rate this topic

I think i asked this once before but with inconclusive results....

I need ALL AVAILABLE X-FILES fans to tell me which season was the best. I am talking about spooky, eerie, scary episodes...i do know that "Home" is on the 4th season collection, but are the others good as well? When did the show start to go into the "toilet", so to speak? In the latter seasons? Logic would dictate, just like Millennium, that the earlier stuff would be the best, but i need everyone's help...sorry to re-ask this question, but i am tired of standing in front of the x-files section at Best Buy or Fry's and not knowing which ones are the best, even more frustrating are the employees who act as though they have never heard of it...COME ONE EVERYONE, I NEED YOUR HELP....

also, are there any CSI-Miami fans here? David Caruso fans?...I have really gotten hooked on the series and love Caruso's character.....I see strong ties to Millennium what with the zooming in on key pieces of evidence, etc...

4th Horseman.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I need ALL AVAILABLE X-FILES fans to tell me which season was the best. I am talking about spooky, eerie, scary episodes...i do know that "Home" is on the 4th season collection, but are the others good as well? When did the show start to go into the "toilet", so to speak? In the latter seasons? Logic would dictate, just like Millennium, that the earlier stuff would be the best, but i need everyone's help...sorry to re-ask this question, but i am tired of standing in front of the x-files section at Best Buy or Fry's and not knowing which ones are the best, even more frustrating are the employees who act as though they have never heard of it...COME ONE EVERYONE, I NEED YOUR HELP....

also, are there any CSI-Miami fans here? David Caruso fans?...I have really gotten hooked on the series and love Caruso's character.....I see strong ties to Millennium what with the zooming in on key pieces of evidence, etc...

4th Horseman.

Well, with Millennium, I don't have to tell you I have a clear favorite and what season it is :oneeyedwinK . With X-files, however, it is much tougher, and it's hard to come to a conclusion, but I'll give it a try. First off, it is definitely one of the first three seasons. With season one, as I have mentioned many times, you have this incredible freshness and newness. Although I have sense learned of earlier shows like night stalker, the X-files was the first show of it's kind that I ever experienced. Season one starts off with a bang and would probably take the prize as the best if this continued, but then, Jersey Devil through Space are a drop off. After this, the episodes are up and down, with some great ones and some not so great ones.

Season two starts the opposite way (with the exception of Little Green Men), but then really takes off with one of the best strings of episodes ever, Duane Barry through One Breath. After this stretch, we are back to the up and down thing again, but with more good than not so good episodes.

Season 3 opens with a bang again with The Blessing Way through "Clyde Bruckman", and then has more up episodes than down episodes than seasons one and two the rest of the way. Given this, plus the fact that they mixed in some of the first light hearted episodes, such as Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung, and Sygygy, and it gets my vote for the best mix and best season. I guess I could change my mind down the road, but if I was standing at Best Buy with some money in my pocket and could only get one DVD set, I think I would pick up season three. It will be interesting to hear what everyone else says.

Well, the best advice I can give you is just to start with season 1 and slowly collect them from the beginning. It's hard to just jump into any series in the middle. There are things you won't understand without having the base storyline.

That being said.... I'd have to say that Seasons 3 and 4 are the best overall. With ones already mentioned, as well as season 3's "Grotesque" and season 4's masterpiece "The Field Where I Died". I think that season 3 actually won an award that year....(1996)

Like the others, I do agree that it started to go downhill later on. Season 7 was in some ways to me, the last real season of The X Files. Season 8 got a very rough start, but then also had a few interesting episodes, as well as ones that made me want to claw my eyes out, like "Alone". Season 9 had some really bad ones, and some very interesting/very cool/ episodes like "Daimonicus" or however it's spelled.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Well, the best advice I can give you is just to start with season 1 and slowly collect them from the beginning. It's hard to just jump into any series in the middle. There are things you won't understand without having the base storyline.

That being said.... I'd have to say that Seasons 3 and 4 are the best overall. With ones already mentioned, as well as season 3's "Grotesque" and season 4's masterpiece "The Field Where I Died". I think that season 3 actually won an award that year....(1996)

Like the others, I do agree that it started to go downhill later on. Season 7 was in some ways to me, the last real season of The X Files. Season 8 got a very rough start, but then also had a few interesting episodes, as well as ones that made me want to claw my eyes out, like "Alone". Season 9 had some really bad ones, and some very interesting/very cool/ episodes like "Daimonicus" or however it's spelled.

Actually, Raven Wolf has brought up an important point. I was assuming that you have watched all the X-files and were asking opinions of people here to try to help you determine (or remember) which season to buy for the best episodes. If, however, you have not been a regular viewer or have caught only scattered or random episodes, I absolutely agree that you MUST start with season 1, episode one. I thought I remembered the Horseman as a regular viewer, but I could be mistaken. I also failed to comment on some of the other aspects of the Horseman's original post, so I'll try it again.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

4th Horseman.

Just to add my two cents on the other aspects of your post, I think the show slowly started to rotate around the toilet bowl in season 6, but you really had to look carefully to pick up the rotation. There were some good episodes, but also some flops... more flops than any previous season. Season 7 was just about the same as season 6 as far as quality. As I have mentioned many times before, it really started circling the bowl rapidly in season 8 and accelerating down the drain as it concluded in season 9. At no point do I think it was total crap, but S8 and S9 got a little out of hand as they seamingly attempted to change the X-files from a Scully and Mulder show to a Doggett and Reyes show. PS, now that I think about it, I am fairly certain that I remember the Forth Horseman participating in previous X-files discussions. Sorry Horseman, I didn't mean to question you fandom. Then again, maybe I am confusing him for someone else. I'm so confused. :doh:

4thhorseman my friend i am torn between Season 5 & 6. For me with Season 5 the epiodes that thrill and chill me was All Souls.....Minds Eye.....Chinga.....Bad Blood and the two tie ins of Christmas Carol and Emily. In Season Six to me there where a succession of strong episodes one after the other like Agua Mala....Monday...Arcadia...Alpha....Trevor and Milagro. My fav is Terms of Endearment. If you have to buy one to start your collection then buy Season One.

I agree with you about CSI: Miami. Its great drama. i never cared for Caruso but my wife and my best bud turned me on to the show. I love the action and Caruso's dramatic pause

Guest Moriarty

Hi 4th.

I tend to think that Raven is correct in her reply to your post. You should start with season 1 and then follow with the others chronologically. Certainly with the XF that has such complex story lines.

Regarding the best season I would say that the 2nd and the 3rd are the best with a slight advantage for season 3. But it is really personal.

Anyway, enjoy watching!

Hi 4th.

I tend to think that Raven is correct in her reply to your post. You should start with season 1 and then follow with the others chronologically. Certainly with the XF that has such complex story lines.

Regarding the best season I would say that the 2nd and the 3rd are the best with a slight advantage for season 3. But it is really personal.

Anyway, enjoy watching!

MIB.....where did that avatar come from??? You havent questioned my fandom, i was never really into X-Files that much until recently when i started watching it on vacation...there was an episode where a mother takes her son into the bathroom with her, ties him to something just outside the stall, yet, when she comes out, he is gone...outside there is a birthday party going on, and we then see the child chasing a balloon onto the railroad tracks were he then gets ran over by a train...then a little bit later there is something weird about the grandmother or something...i had to go at that moment and never got to see the entire episode...anyone know the name?...

in regards to this post, i thank each and every one of you for your help. I can always come here for advice and Erin, MIB, Joe, Moriarity, you guys rock...lately, i have bought the first two seasons of "The Deadliest Catch" and the first season of CSI-Miami....i am seriously considering my next investment to be either a season of either X-Files or Dark Shadows.....drives my wife crazy, but i get like this from time to time...i also have the first season of "The Andy Griffith Show" on my radar (yes, i will admit to loving that show as well)...she just doesnt understand why a person would need to have the entire archive of a television show. Well, that all changed when she missed a couple episodes of Lost and ran out and bought the 2nd season the first day it came out...LOL....

4th Horseman...

Guest Moriarty
MIB.....where did that avatar come from??? You havent questioned my fandom, i was never really into X-Files that much until recently when i started watching it on vacation...there was an episode where a mother takes her son into the bathroom with her, ties him to something just outside the stall, yet, when she comes out, he is gone...outside there is a birthday party going on, and we then see the child chasing a balloon onto the railroad tracks were he then gets ran over by a train...then a little bit later there is something weird about the grandmother or something...i had to go at that moment and never got to see the entire episode...anyone know the name?...

4th Horseman...

Hi 4th.

If I remember correctly the episode is called "The Calusari". Great episode if you ask me. It all has to do about demonic possession in an Hungarian family. I believe that the son was possessed. There is also a nice exorcism scene at the end where Mulder holds the boy down in order to let the priests do their job. When it's over one of the priests tells him that he should be carefull in the future because "evil has seen you and it knows you know." It is a second season episode.

Take care.

• Elders (Admins)

I've been watching the X-Files again from S1 on UK Living channel here in the UK. They show an episode per weekday and I enjoy putting them on and catching up. S2 is halfway through and I think its great. So many good episodes. My son and I recently watched the host again which is great fun!

Watching it from the beginning is the way to go as the alien conspiracy is more appreciated as it unfolds. I ran through the X-Files Wikipedia entries which have given me a far better understanding of the complex mythology than I had when I first saw the X-Files 'live' years ago.

The X-Files box sets are now so cheap, at around £11 I'm very tempted but for now UK LIvings's daily offering is fine.