2000 The Beginning & the End

Rate this topic

Raven Wolf

Quote from The X Files season 9, Nothing Important Happened Today, part 2

KERSH: You ever hear of King George the Third?

DOGGETT: (Turning back toward KERSH) You answer my question!

KERSH: He was King of England when America declared Independence in 1776. King George the Third kept a diary. On July 4th 1776, he made an entry in it: "Nothing Important Happened Today".

DOGGETT: What the hell has that got to do with me?

KERSH: Revolutions start, things that change the world forever, and even Kings can miss them if they're not paying attention.

Before 2000, we had a balenced budget, peace with other countries. People had jobs, and no one ever really thought about the price of gas, except when they were planning their trip to the lake during the summer. In real estate, it was a "seller's market". We saw The X Files' debut` on TV, followed soon by Millennium. People were generally happy with the state of the country and the economy was the best it's ever been.

As 2000 drew near, people began to get that nervous "this has been too calm for too long... wonder when the rug's gonna get jerked out from under us" attitude. Some began to say that 2000 would bring back Christ and the world as we know it, would end. Others were worried that the computers would fail at the stroke of midnight and cause mass chaos.

None of that happend, and the world breathed a sigh of releafe. As Mulder said.... "The world didn't end, did it."

Through some technicality, Bush finds his way into the White house, even though the magority of the American public did not vote for him.

The shuttle exploded.

9-11

The War Started

Gas is now near $4 a gallon. People are dying for nothing in Irac. Men & Women from this country, as well as others, are being tortured and beheaded by an unseen enemy in another country. More and more of American rights are being slowly taken away. Women will soon not be able to decide what to do with their own bodies. Each of us who wants to drive a car will be forced to have a National ID number, even though we already have Social Security numbers that are supposed to do that. We're very close to every citizen being told to have a microchip placed in their bodies, as a matter of "National Security". (hmmm... thinking of Jason's movie "Millennium - Appocolypse")

And now we've got "American Idol".

Maybe the world Did end, while none of us was paying attention, distracted by all the Y2K and 2nd coming talk.

This is not to start a political debate. Those are useless. These are just my thoughts today, in light of the facts.

"Will their be a dawn?"

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Quote from The X Files season 9, Nothing Important Happened Today, part 2

Before 2000, we had a balenced budget, peace with other countries. People had jobs, and no one ever really thought about the price of gas, except when they were planning their trip to the lake during the summer. In real estate, it was a "seller's market". We saw The X Files' debut` on TV, followed soon by Millennium. People were generally happy with the state of the country and the economy was the best it's ever been.

As 2000 drew near, people began to get that nervous "this has been too calm for too long... wonder when the rug's gonna get jerked out from under us" attitude. Some began to say that 2000 would bring back Christ and the world as we know it, would end. Others were worried that the computers would fail at the stroke of midnight and cause mass chaos.

None of that happend, and the world breathed a sigh of releafe. As Mulder said.... "The world didn't end, did it."

Through some technicality, Bush finds his way into the White house, even though the magority of the American public did not vote for him.

The shuttle exploded.

9-11

The War Started

Gas is now near $4 a gallon. People are dying for nothing in Irac. Men & Women from this country, as well as others, are being tortured and beheaded by an unseen enemy in another country. More and more of American rights are being slowly taken away. Women will soon not be able to decide what to do with their own bodies. Each of us who wants to drive a car will be forced to have a National ID number, even though we already have Social Security numbers that are supposed to do that. We're very close to every citizen being told to have a microchip placed in their bodies, as a matter of "National Security". (hmmm... thinking of Jason's movie "Millennium - Appocolypse")

And now we've got "American Idol".

Maybe the world Did end, while none of us was paying attention, distracted by all the Y2K and 2nd coming talk.

This is not to start a political debate. Those are useless. These are just my thoughts today, in light of the facts.

"Will their be a dawn?"

I know what you mean. The most disturbing thing is that the rallying cry after 9-11 was "Let's just get on with our normal lives and live without fear, and not let the terrorists win". Well, with all of the things that are being done in the name of national security, the terrorists ARE winning. Now I hear that, starting in 2008, I will need a passport to go to Canada. There is no way in heck I am ever going to pay over $100 for yet another worthless piece of crap document from the government. I already pay an income tax, a sales tax, a gasoline tax (which is a huge chunk of what we are paying), and a sin tax (a huge part of the cost of alcohol, if I choose to buy it). Then, as if taking all of this isn't enough, I pay $120 for a freekin sticker to put on my license plate, as though the half of my income that goes to one tax or another isn't enough to fix the roads. Now, they are going to want for me to pay over $100 if I want to go over a bridge to Canada? The most absurd thing about this is the fact that this international security at the borders is an utter joke. There are miles and miles of border between the U.S. and Canada that are completely unattended, and someone could literally walk across, not to mention that, with all of the boat traffic, it would be hard, if not impossible, to spot a small boat crossing from the U.S. to Canada. I just saw something recently about the completely inadequate security of the Oregon west coast. I don't remember the exact details, but they showed a single patrol man who was responsible for hundreds of miles of coast line, and they think terrorists are going to be coming over a bridge and foiled by clever customs questioning. It is nothing short of childish.

Because of a small number of terrorists, I can no longer go to Canada, and therefor, along with the idiotic, endless questioning, delays will be even longer and, as a result of the inevitable drop in bridge revenues, workers hours and benefits will be cut because they can't afford to pay enough people to do the job, and with the feeble hours and lack of benefits, nobody will stick around long and all of the effective employees with be lost. Given the fact that I am already treated like criminal by customs, just for wanting to go to Canada, there is no way I'm ever going anywhere near Canada again once passports are a necessity. More and more I see our freedoms being taken away by moronic and impractical solutions that any fool can see are not going to achieve their intended purpose. As with Raven Wolf, I don't want to step on anyone's toes, or make it political, just my two cents.

Guest SouthernCelt

Yes 'bliss, consider that our government continues to make travel by Americans more difficult and costly for the supposed sake of security against terrorists while the same lawmakers are worrying over tightening down on illegal immigration because it might violate some nebulous right that non-citizens apparently have or might offend someone. Why do these lawmakers and officials not for once listen to what offends those of us that put them in office? After all we're the ones paying for all this comedy of errors.

My response: Things begin to crumble before it falls apart.

I tend to think after 2000, some type of shift happened. Its like the night crew got replaced by a Temp Agency.

I have a theory to alot of the madness. I call it The Tower of Babel Theory. As things progress and progress with technology,computers, communication and urbanization the further we become from each other. Once we concentrate on oursleves in which we become blind thats when it falls apart just like Babel. I see alot of good in the world. I always seem to remember in the Bible how it talks about Earth as the Devils Playground.

Just some food for thought

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Yes 'bliss, consider that our government continues to make travel by Americans more difficult and costly for the supposed sake of security against terrorists while the same lawmakers are worrying over tightening down on illegal immigration because it might violate some nebulous right that non-citizens apparently have or might offend someone. Why do these lawmakers and officials not for once listen to what offends those of us that put them in office? After all we're the ones paying for all this comedy of errors.

The key word being comedy, which is what it is. I don't mean to generalize, but a fair amount of the illegals successfully entering the country every day are simple people, just looking for a job doing basic labor. Yet, they are finding ways of getting in and staying. At the same time, they seem to think they are going to keep organized, high functioning and, in many cases, downright brilliant terrorists out because they don't have a passport and can't get through bridge customs. I wish they would start listening to the voters, as you say, and showing even the slightest degree of common sense and practical thinking.

In response to Hippyroo...

Sorry... I did not mean to make it sound like it was all perfect....

but you must realize the HUGE difference between how things are now, and how they were then. And, it's not just a matter of imagining "The Good Old Days". I recall thinking at that very time thinking.... "Wow, I wonder if people realize that, compaired to other decades in history, we've got it pretty good right now.

Wow... my computer keeps locking up... Probably because it can't beleave the crap I've been reading on other sites today. LOL

Like I said.... There's no sense in a debate here. These were just my thoughts about the "end of the world" stuff that everyone was afraid of... and then when nothing like what was expected happened, everyone just went on with their lives. Almost seems like the perfect diversion.... (maybe I'm thinking like Fox Mulder too much...LOL)

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Sorry if I was "too dark".

LOL, here is something that you can print out and display on your computer screen to help you with that:

:hands2trans::2handstransp: