Millennium Movie Musings

Rate this topic

As I recall, it didn't do as well as they had projected which was why Serenity 2 wasn't picked up. There was hope that the SE of the DVD release might generate interest in the studios for another movie (Whedon's words), but I have a feeling the SE didn't actually offer THAT much more from the original DVD release to create a double dipping incentive from fan consumers.

That said, Firefly is a great example of how a niche fanbase CAN work on the mainstream - while it didn't do AMAZING as hoped by the studio, the box office was respectable and Whedon's story treatment was an amazing adaptation of a pre-established TV series into an hour and a half. I don't think its domestic gross hit the bar, even though it did well internationally (I think, or was it the other way round - it was one or the other, but I think it was an average domestic return, given the national domestic is often more important than the international).

Could I pick your brain on a point as you clearly have a much better working knowledge of these things than I.

Would a successful DTV be more lucrative than a movie with mediocre response at the box office?

Guest Jim McLean
Could I pick your brain on a point as you clearly have a much better working knowledge of these things than I.

Would a successful DTV be more lucrative than a movie with mediocre response at the box office?

Good lord, no idea of the specifics - I would imagine it largely depends on the cost factors, the financial and the final profit margins. In the end it depends on those elements I suppose. From an audience's POV, I think a DTV would be a safer if less fantastical option. As long as the DTV/DVD recouped and made a profit, I think that size baby would have more longevity given its not risking the wide appeal required to justify a film release. So for fans, I think if there was enough for Carter to get Henriksen and run a DVD project, these days where the DVD market is such a strong one (as the writers striker was keen to point out), it would - IMO - be a better move for Millennium, or at least, a safer one.

Good lord, no idea of the specifics - I would imagine it largely depends on the cost factors, the financial and the final profit margins. In the end it depends on those elements I suppose. From an audience's POV, I think a DTV would be a safer if less fantastical option. As long as the DTV/DVD recouped and made a profit, I think that size baby would have more longevity given its not risking the wide appeal required to justify a film release. So for fans, I think if there was enough for Carter to get Henriksen and run a DVD project, these days where the DVD market is such a strong one (as the writers striker was keen to point out), it would - IMO - be a better move for Millennium, or at least, a safer one.

I agree about the 'safety' point you mention. Movie incarnations of tv formats tend to be successful when the TV version has a cultural resonance beyond its fan base. Even those who may never have personally invested in the X-files will most certainly be aware of it, be aware of who Mulder and Scully are, probably be able to recall the theme tune and so on. Whilst never having sat through an entire episode of say 'Adams Family' I was cognisant of the above factors in respective of it when it went to the big screen, these shows are embedded in popular culture and have enough nostalgic resonance to entice beyond the fan base. I fear our beloved show is not an example of this. Whether or not it is repackaged or renamed it won't take long for people to realise it has its origins in a show they have never heard of or were rather ambivalent about the first time.

I would be more than satisfied with a DTV from a purely selfish perspective. With fandom being the intended audience there has to be greater scope to ressurect choice elements of the mythos and give clarity to some of the nebulous aspects of the finale/X-Files episode. Whilst my Millennium hungry soul would be satisfied with a slightly diluted, less invested format I secretly habour a wish for a 'complete' return to form.

Best wishes Laredo,

Eth

I recently perused an X-Files forum where the prospect of Terry O'Quinn's inclusion in XF2 was raised and even amongst fans of our sister show there was a general ambivalence towards both the actors of the spin-off shows and the shows themselves, some responses were a little hostile which took me aback somewhat I have to admit.

That's strange. I wonder if these people realize that both Terry O'Quinn, and 'Lara' (I can never spell her real name right) were in The X Files long before Millennium ever came to be? Terry was in 'Aubry' (I probably spelled that wrong, too. *sigh*) and "Lara" was in my particular favorite "The Field Where I Died". (which should have won her an award!!!)

Nice to see you here, "ethie"... :clapping:

Guest Jim McLean
I agree about the 'safety' point you mention. Movie incarnations of tv formats tend to be successful when the TV version has a cultural resonance beyond its fan base. Even those who may never have personally invested in the X-files will most certainly be aware of it, be aware of who Mulder and Scully are, probably be able to recall the theme tune and so on. Whilst never having sat through an entire episode of say 'Adams Family' I was cognisant of the above factors in respective of it when it went to the big screen, these shows are embedded in popular culture and have enough nostalgic resonance to entice beyond the fan base. I fear our beloved show is not an example of this. Whether or not it is repackaged or renamed it won't take long for people to realise it has its origins in a show they have never heard of or were rather ambivalent about the first time.

I agree, which is why - as I said before the recent rumours - that I think IF Frank returns, it would be without Millennium. Simply because the show itself has too much baggage in its past incarnations to really "sell" it to a new market; the Millennium has been and gone, and hell, the Group wasn't that popular with the writers or actors and lacked the consistency for a tangible product to re-package anyway. Seemed no season had a clear definitive view of the Group!

As such - and given Carter and Henriksen's personal dislike of the Group's growth - I think if it goes to the big screen, it would be Frank who is the key product pitch. The mix of X-Files, and the current gritty horror genre would be the product pitch with Frank being a draw for Henriksen's involvement and a favourite of Carters. So I really think a big screen return - or even a TV show - would be a new product using Frank and Jordan, but without the show's past baggage. A bit like Doctor Who returned as a new series which worked on its own merits with a new character - doesn't stop them using characters from the past show, but its always without the baggage of mythology that comes with them.

I would be more than satisfied with a DTV from a purely selfish perspective. With fandom being the intended audience there has to be greater scope to ressurect choice elements of the mythos and give clarity to some of the nebulous aspects of the finale/X-Files episode. Whilst my Millennium hungry soul would be satisfied with a slightly diluted, less invested format I secretly habour a wish for a 'complete' return to form.

I get that too. I would love to see Millennium return as a simple mini-series on Scifi (if Fox would release it which they won't!) or a DVD movie, just to do what Serenity did for Firefly, bring a new vision for the future at best, or at worst, closure to a brilliant show.

I would enjoy seeing the show pick up what it left scattered and creating something tangible, the inner fan wants that. At the same time, the outer fan looks back at MM and remembers the stories it truly enjoyed were about Frank or Jordan, and didn't require the Group or the Millennium to define it, so maybe moving forward would be better than labouring over elements which the crew themselves have admited as mistakes.

Yes, it goes back to what we said earlier - at the moment I'll find solace in ANYTHING. I guess my lynch pin is Frank. Beyond that, I'm happy to let Carter decide.

That's strange. I wonder if these people realize that both Terry O'Quinn, and 'Lara' (I can never spell her real name right) were in The X Files long before Millennium ever came to be? Terry was in 'Aubry' (I probably spelled that wrong, too. *sigh*) and "Lara" was in my particular favorite "The Field Where I Died". (which should have won her an award!!!)

Nice to see you here, "ethie"... :clapping:

Hello angel.....

The fact that Terry is such an integral part of the whole 1013 product was the primary reason for their chagrin to be honest. Their posts displayed boredom with the "repetitious" use of 'actors' throughout the spin-offs and they felt that despite Terry's undoubted prowess as an actor that his inclusion in almost every 1013 series was both predictable and insipid. Given Terry's recognizable profile they felt his inclusion and subsequent demise in the first XF film was reason enough to warrant his exclusion from the second, issues of integrity, realism and continuity I guess. Whilst I do not share their concerns being a relapsed X-Files fan I admit that Lance's brief inclusion in Harsh Realm was a senses jarring experience for me, he was 'Frank' in a military uniform and nothing more so I guess one can understand how a deep investment in and love for a character can jade the experience of seeing them out of context. Having Lance, Terry, Gillian and Sarah-Jane all sharing screen time in the pilot of Harsh Realm may have been a little misguided.

Considering my love of 'Millennium' and 'Lost' I would walk over broken glass to hear Terry read the phone book in much the same way as I gibbered an bowed at Lance at Collectormania but I'm a 'Millennium' junkie through and through. I guess I would feel more than a little irked if Duchovny was assigned to a Millennium movie. Never the twain shall meet as far as I'm concerned.

Viva Lance and Terry and sod the Philes is my mantra,

Smiles

Eth

he was 'Frank' in a military uniform and nothing more

Wow.... I better never let you see a movie Lance was in. I think it was called "Hard Target". Seeing Lance as the leader of a group of Human hunters... (man hunting man) would really throw you for a loop!

Wow.... I better never let you see a movie Lance was in. I think it was called "Hard Target". Seeing Lance as the leader of a group of Human hunters... (man hunting man) would really throw you for a loop!

Gulp,

A Lance movie I haven't seen, show it to me now lol....

Saturday night, nibbles, booze and Lance, honestly I would watch that man sleeping.

Better go search it out!

Guest WhiteWolf

Stalking aside, who is going to direct this movie? Carter, Spotnitz, or someone else?

And is it a foregone conclusion that Cris Carter is going to write it?