Millennium Movie Musings

Rate this topic

Guest peas_and_corn
Wow.... I better never let you see a movie Lance was in. I think it was called "Hard Target". Seeing Lance as the leader of a group of Human hunters... (man hunting man) would really throw you for a loop!

Apparently he was also involved with an obscure movie series called 'Alien' :p

Guest WhiteWolf

At one point, as they said somewhere, Bill Paxton stood as the only actor to have been killed by an Alien, a Predator, and a Terminator. But after AVP he now shares that record with Lance (even though you don't see Lance take a bullet in The Terminator).

Guest Jim McLean
At one point, as they said somewhere, Bill Paxton stood as the only actor to have been killed by an Alien, a Predator, and a Terminator. But after AVP he now shares that record with Lance (even though you don't see Lance take a bullet in The Terminator).

Wasn't there was a possibility of Lance popping up again in T3? I recall they used a different character in the end. So in someone's head, he's still free from a Terminator bullet!

After thinking about this topic, i would defintely want to make it into a "Top-Notch Mega-Movie" First of all we will need Carter-Johannsen and Spotnitz to write and script the movie. I would go as far for them to use David Fincher as a guest Director. This would be full circle since MillenniuM is loosely based on Seven.

Like to see them either put an end to Peter Watts, is he dead or not? If not he would be a very important character to this movie Would love to see Lucy Butler back but wouldnt be even better to see a more deviant heavy like Al Pacino's character like John Milton in "The Devils Advocate". That would send chills down my spine. and lets not forget Jordan

Guest Jim McLean
After thinking about this topic, i would defintely want to make it into a "Top-Notch Mega-Movie" First of all we will need Carter-Johannsen and Spotnitz to write and script the movie. I would go as far for them to use David Fincher as a guest Director. This would be full circle since MillenniuM is loosely based on Seven.

Like to see them either put an end to Peter Watts, is he dead or not? If not he would be a very important character to this movie Would love to see Lucy Butler back but wouldnt be even better to see a more deviant heavy like Al Pacino's character like John Milton in "The Devils Advocate". That would send chills down my spine. and lets not forget Jordan

My problem with a main movie, is if there is a chance of dilution in MM, it will be as soon as its financial obligation goes to the mainstream consumer. If its a Direct to DVD, the consumer is largely a cult audience, either related to media similar to MM or fans of the show/Carter/Henriksen. The chances of something which is as cerebral, diverse and as uncertain as the show, comes from a DVD market, not the cinema.

Sure we may not get Fincher, but that's a sacrifice I'll make not to have the project watered down by the requirements of mainstreams, money and studio knee knocking! :)

My problem with a main movie, is if there is a chance of dilution in MM, it will be as soon as its financial obligation goes to the mainstream consumer. If its a Direct to DVD, the consumer is largely a cult audience, either related to media similar to MM or fans of the show/Carter/Henriksen. The chances of something which is as cerebral, diverse and as uncertain as the show, comes from a DVD market, not the cinema.

Sure we may not get Fincher, but that's a sacrifice I'll make not to have the project watered down by the requirements of mainstreams, money and studio knee knocking! :)

hey it doesnt hurt to dream big.....

Firefly came to the big screen and then in a few months it was released to DVD

Guest Jim McLean
hey it doesnt hurt to dream big.....

Firefly came to the big screen and then in a few months it was released to DVD

No not at all, as an experience it would be AMAZING to see Frank with the same cinema experience as Se7en. I'm just saying as with Serenity, there were certain concessions in feel and formula that are made for mainstream products, and I'd say Millennium in its best essence is very non-mainstream - more so than Firefly - so I would rather the product was made with a mandate towards a niche audience rather than to make money from dumb-joe-public.

If we could have the best of both worlds, trust me, I'd be elbowing you very hard in the race to the best seat!

Guest peas_and_corn
No not at all, as an experience it would be AMAZING to see Frank with the same cinema experience as Se7en. I'm just saying as with Serenity, there were certain concessions in feel and formula that are made for mainstream products, and I'd say Millennium in its best essence is very non-mainstream - more so than Firefly - so I would rather the product was made with a mandate towards a niche audience rather than to make money from dumb-joe-public.

If we could have the best of both worlds, trust me, I'd be elbowing you very hard in the race to the best seat!

We also want the MM movie to be successful.

Guest Jim McLean
We also want the MM movie to be successful.

"Successful" has two sides. Technically, while there is more money to be made at the box office, success can be defined by longevity. A DVD movie may not be as popular, or rake in the money as a film would, but it would be slave to popularity or risk the downfalls of a mainstream market. If DVD movie makes a reasonable return, you might see another, but unless a box office movie makes a BRILLIANT return, you won't. So success is a difficult one to gauge - and then you have the question of what you lose for the sake of success. Millennium's format was no mainstream, and to hit a box office market (and most likely looking to latch on to the X-Files consumer), you can expect to lose some edge for the price of "success". How much depends on studios, investors, demographic evaluation etc. You MIGHT get something like Se7en or you might just get something that feels like a formulaic, substandard X-Files with a couple of good looking faces thrown in to help Frank and attract the aesthetic market.

So really its an interesting question, and I wouldn't say there is an easy answer to which format would be the most successful. Personally, I feel a DVD movie would carry more long term and quality benefits even if the experience isn't so majestic. So I would plump for DVD movie in terms of "success".

Hi All,

Here's my thing,

Carter discussed a Millennium Movie some time ago and his concept was of a reboot, a return to the Pilot if you will, and he lamented what the series became and was tantalized by the prospect of having the chance to rebirth the concept. Whilst this seems to me to be a thoroughly logical way of making Millennium palatable to a new and uninitiated audience I do fear that reboots are often controversial and maligned by existing fans who feel overlooked when the merciless excision of the past takes place. I have followed numerous comic titles over the years where convoluted storytelling and increasing preposterous plots have all but forced reboots of years of mythology as writers become increasingly unable to chart stories through aeons of discombobulate storytelling. Whilst it certainly gives the writers a blank canvas upon which to craft something unhindered by overly labyrinthine back stories, those fans who have invested often decades of attention in these titles are passionate in their condemnation of erasing a history they care about.

I am not sure how I would feel to meet Frank at the beginning again or how I would feel if Catherine were to return in light of this and whether I could cope with Jordan being recast with an infant actress or whether I could accept the revelation that The-Old Man, Lara, Emma, Owls, Roosters, Mabius and so forth never happened.

If the only way to keep the integrity of a mythos I have cherished and celebrated for over a decade is to treat it as a direct to video franchise then I have to confess I would probably opt for this.

Many of my favourite films are niche or cult and had little effect on public consciousness but I assert that mega-bucks and gloss can result in dross and superficiality and the mainstream is no place these days to find creativity and substance.

It's a difficult thing to get the balance right methinks.

Smiles,

Eth