Good article on XF2

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Here's a nice, fresh article about XF2. Nothing exactly new there, but it's a good overview of the subject matter. I liked this part especially:

They also may run into a character from Carter's other series Millennium. The most exciting rumor in this respect involves a cross-over cameo from series star Lance Henriksen. This rumor has surfaced, been debunked, but then refused to go away.

:eyes::gaba::clapping:

https://movieblog.ugo.com/index.php/moviebl...les_2_spoilers/

Hi All,

I can't access the page is anyone else having trouble or is it one of those delightful AOL UK issues that have been dogging users for months now......grrrrr.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

OK here, but the internet seems to be a bit slow, or maybe it's my computer, or maybe it's me!

Here's the text:

------

X-Files 2 Spoilers

Posted by Dr. Know on 04/08 at 10:10 AM

X-Files 2

Unlike other franchises, The X Files doesn't just employ secrecy when it comes to promoting a big release - its predominant theme is secrecy and the uses of disinformation. So it's no surprise that its creators and its studio, Fox, have been very stingy with the facts about this movie while X-fans have masochistically lapped up the few scraps provided and read into them like any good conspiracy theorist. Life imitates art indeed.

All that aside, my personal feeling is that The X-Files is one of the classic TV series of all time, any genre, and that the 1998 movie was a solid big-screen adaptation. If we'll get something this summer that even approaches previous highwater marks, it will be worth all this hair-tearing and teeth-gnashing.

Finally, as we get ready to inspect the file on X-Files 2, let's first note that that's not the film's title. Fox and creator Chris Carter are still wrangling over that. We can only hope that we'll be informed of the actual title before opening day--it'll really come in handy when looking up theater showtimes.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Confirmed:

* No surprise here: Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) will be the protagonists, but director and co-writer Carter vows that we'll "see them in a whole new way." Collaborator Frank Spotnitz confirms that their relationship will head "in unexpected directions." The movie, he says, will depict who Mulder and Scully "would be this point in their lives." Learned anything yet? Kind of, I guess.

* So at what point in their lives are the two characters anyway? The storyline will take place in the present day, which is six years after the TV series signed off. That makes the approach very real-timeish.

* As such, the movie will tackle contemporary themes much as the first one riffed on the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing.

* X Files newcomers will include Amanda Peet playing FBI Agent Dakota Whitney, "a person with some authority," according to Carter, and Billy Connolly as "a man with very long hair." (Thanks, Chris, thanks a lot. Really.) The cast also features rapper/actor/TV host Xzibit.

* The movie will not feature the show's "mythology" elements, which means there'll be no overarching conspiracy storyline. Instead, it will more closely resemble the "monster of the week" episodes. The ability of the movie to stand on its own is important to the filmmakers because they're hoping to introduce new viewers to the franchise. Many of these are thought to be in college and probably too young to have watched the show in its heyday.

* To bring such potential fans up to speed there will be some scrolling expository text a la Star Wars.

* That said, there will definitely be some references to past episodes. The movie is not standing that alone after all.

* Mention will also be made of Scully's and Mulder's son, William. Apparently supernaturally gifted, he was eventually placed for adoption for his own safety.

* The movie will be scored by Mark Snow, the composer behind the instantly recognizable TV theme.

Rumored:

* Mitch Pileggi will reprise his role as Walter Skinner. This notion is a little more credible than your average rumor. That's because even though the actor hasn't been officially announced, a bootlegged schedule from the shoot features his name.

* There will be some romantic moments between the two leads. After all, shots of their kissing, and not on the cheek, have surfaced. But who knows what the dramatic context for this smooching is? A full-blown love scene was reportedly nixed due to protests from Duchovny and Anderson. Not that they they're grossed out by each other but because they felt a sexy subplot would unnecessarily complicate the storyline.

* Billy Connolly's character will be Father Joe, a "good priest." Not to be confused with Father Ybarra, a "bad priest" played by Adam Godley (a confirmed cast member).

* Xzibit will supposedly play an FBI agent, perhaps working alongside, or reporting to, Peet's character.

* As the story begins, Scully will be working at a hospital. Reportedly Mulder will visit her there because he is very interested in one of her patients.

* In a related rumor, Spencer Maybee will play Blair Finch, father to a young boy suffering from illness and a possible deformity. The boy's condition is said to be a key plot catalyst.

* ...which may in turn be related to yet another rumor, that the story hinges on finding a donor match… for someone.

* Mulder and Scully may encounter creatures they first met in the TV series.

* They also may run into a character from Carter's other series Millennium. The most exciting rumor in this respect involves a cross-over cameo from series star Lance Henriksen. This rumor has surfaced, been debunked, but then refused to go away.

Debunked:

Note: debunking any info regarding X-Files 2 is a tricky proposition at best because the publicity machine is intentionally not debunking anything. Carter and crew apparently want to keep as many rumors floating as possible because then it's that much harder for us to focus on those that might be true. Plus, it just seems to be a cat-and-mouse game that they enjoy playing with fans.

* It's pretty safe to assume that the movie will not feature werewolves. The questionable photos that were leaked were perhaps done so intentionally.

* There won't be any standard issue alien abductions or autopsies. Most of the so-called scripts that contained such passages were apparently reworked lifts from the old TV episodes.

* Neither Robert Patrick nor Annabeth Gish, who starred as agents Doggett and Reyes after Duchovny and Anderson ceased being series regulars, will appear in the movie.

* Not exactly debunked but highly, highly unlikely are appearances by Nicholas Lea's Alex Krycek and Bill Davis's Cigarette Smoking Man. That's because this is not a movie mythology movie and because, oh, yeah, both characters are dead. Similarly, fan faves The Lone Gunmen, also dead, are unlikely to appear unless in a dream or as ghosts. On the other hand Carter made a point of recently remarking, "I'll just say to you… nobody's really ever dead in The X-Files." So in conclusion we can only suggest that everyone be patient and wait for the answers since, after all, the Truth is-well, you know the rest.

Collected by Peter Gutierrez.

---------------

thanks Libby,

i also find it intresting that i keep getting info regarding Lance reprising his Frank Black and using this movie as a spring board for a MillenniuM movie. I refuse to post this info because i dont want to get others hopes up and it just becomes bad info on my part.