My friends snubbed Millennium

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

Maybe you guys can help me. I'm having a bad morning. I should probably not let this bother me as much as it has but I figure if anyone would understand how I feel it's the people in this forum.

Last night we had an X-Files/Millennium night. A few of my friends came over. I had been looking forward to this night for a long time because none of them had seen Millennium. One of my friends is a huge X-Files fan but had never seen Millennium. When I described it to her she was definitely interested. But it was all downhill from there.

We first watched the Pilot, and they were making fun of it within the first five minutes. An online friend I talked to afterward called it the "stupid-in-a-group" gene, which I think is an accurate description. These friends are a few years younger than me, college age, and I think they all feel like they have to show off for one another while they are watching something. It quickly became a contest to see how much they could make fun of it.

The next episode I showed them was Lamentation. Now up until a certain point I had not said anything, because I am always the guy who wants to be quiet when we are watching stuff and take it seriously, but I know a lot of times "shushing" people makes me look like the party crasher. But midway through lamentation they were talking and joking so much I could not even hear the damn show anymore (even though I had seen it a half dozen times), and I finally said, "You guys, I can't hear a freakin' thing!!!"

Suddenly everyone shut up and it was like I had sucked all the air out of the room. We watched the rest of the episode in silence (okay, two of them were still whispering and giggling to each other the whole time). Afterward I said, "So I guess you guys aren't really sold on this show, huh?" and I was amazed at the response I got. My X-Files fan friend said that Lance Henriksen was "boring," and that she didn't understand the point of the show. And had I wanted to really get into an argument just then, I would have told her that that may have been because she couldn't shut up long enough to listen to what they were saying.

It just seems like with a certain type of person, if you have a group viewing and what you're watching isn't action-packed or laugh-out-loud hilarious, they start feeling like they'll be perceived as lame if they actually take it seriously, so they start trying to outdo each other to make fun of it as much as they can, to promote some sort of cynical image for themselves. Like I said, I am sure I'm letting this get to me more than it should but I am still really upset by the whole thing. I was hoping to make some new Millennium fans, particularly given the other shows we DO share an interest in (X-Files and LOST), and I can't help but feel a little personally insulted that they couldn't restrain themselves long enough to even try to enjoy this show that I vouched for.

Rant over. Some words of support would be helpful...

Guest Blueboy

Sometimes people just don't get it. As you said, they are younger than you and it's been my experieince that, generally speaking, people have grown incredibly shallow. Not just in the shows they watch but also in their behavior. Does anyone actually still want to work? You say they like lost? One of the most convoluted nonsensical shows ever made? Lost is pitiful. Season one was great, then they realized they could soak the audience for 4 more years to sell more crap and now its totally stupid. They don't think Millennium has a point? What exactly is the pointof Lost? They think Lance it boring? Hell, half the characters on lost could have been blown up in the plane and no one would care at all. Here's my suggestion---find more intelligent friends. :clapping:

Guest Laurent.

Maybe they would have enjoyed the show if they had seen it alone, or only with you. It's just like you said; it's a group thing. I don't think that it has anything to do with their age or their intelligence.

It's not everyone who likes to watch serious shows or movie in group because they prefer to just have fun and make jokes, which is alright. I know most of my friends enjoy having a movie night or a marathon of 1013 dvds once in a while, and those that wouldn't enjoy it just don't come. It comes down to everyone's personality.

It's not everyone who likes to watch serious shows or movie in group because they prefer to just have fun and make jokes, which is alright. I know most of my friends enjoy having a movie night or a marathon of 1013 dvds once in a while, and those that wouldn't enjoy it just don't come. It comes down to everyone's personality.

I love MM and my wife loves those dumb, sappy romance shows. Except for Borne and Bond, we simply have different tastes. That said, MM is a flavor for connoisseurs. Bon appetit.

MilenniuM has ALWAYS been on the edge when it came to public expectations. Cutting edge shows almost always derive purer boundries of love/hate than those typically made to placate the masses. Consider yourself one of the privledged few who "get" the show and forget those stray or random voices that utter dissent..

4th Horseman

Guest Laurent.
Millennium has ALWAYS been on the edge when it came to public expectations. Cutting edge shows almost always derive purer boundaries of love/hate than those typically made to placate the masses. Consider yourself one of the privileged few who "get" the show and forget those stray or random voices that utter dissent..

4th Horseman

Wow! Very well said 4th!

It is true that, to make a certain consensus among the masses, creations have to be careful not to go too far in any artistic directions. On the other side, those who push the envelope will give a much better experience to those who appreciate the direction taken, while the others will dislike it, make fun of it, hate it.

Lukewarm shows can have consensus; Millennium certainly doesn't.

Guest RodimusBen

Thanks everybody. I've gotten over my frustration from this morning. It's one of those things where no matter how hard you wish, some people just aren't going to get the stuff you get. But I appreciate everything said here. It did make me feel a lot better.

Thanks everybody. I've gotten over my frustration from this morning. It's one of those things where no matter how hard you wish, some people just aren't going to get the stuff you get. But I appreciate everything said here. It did make me feel a lot better.

BEER---> Good - now go watch another episode. Let you friends free fall. How come everybody isn't as good as we are?

BELCH

Guest Black's Babe

it's their loss, don't sweat it.